1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help cutting acrylic?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fantaz, 2 Aug 2005.

1. Fantaz

Fantaz What's a Dremel?

I plan on cutting down my old UV acrylic case with a dremel into a watercooling radbox for my radiators and pump. Can anyone tell me how or send me links to guides on how to cut acrylic in straight lines? Thank you.

2. JamesM

JamesM What's a Dremel?

Routers are great at cutting plexi and most have straight edge guides. Also, you wont need to polish up the edges like you would if you used a jigsaw, or dremel, etc.

3. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

For very precise lines, you can either score it with a sharp knife and break it, or you could use a bandsaw. Otherwise, a dremel with a steady hand, or a hacksaw, really slow. Make sure to cover it in masking tape for protection / help in keeping a dremel in line.

Try the search, I'm sure there are guides-a-plenty 'round here somewhere.

4. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Scrape and snapping is an initial way to cut, very general. So is the band saw or jigsaw, same thing.The only way to cut beautifully finished straight lines in your basement and garage is with a router. Start reading from here on what to do,...

http://www.gruntville.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=147331#147331

5. tribaloverkill

Oh,... the only cutting you should be doing with a dremel is etching.

6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Was about to suggest the exact same thing, 25000 RPM of sheer cutting power :thumb:

7. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

dremel is easy, u dont even have to go slow, the only problem imo is that the dremel gets stuck since it melts the plexi (even at the lowest speed) so the dremel can get caught

but ya other than that, i can get straight cuts

8. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

If you have access to a band saw with a guide that would be better.

9. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

im surprised no one has mentioned a tablesaw with a finetooth blade? Gives straight clean cuts every single time

10. tribaloverkill

There are alot of things that can be used to cut acrylic. I just dont feel like mention them all. I was thinking about gettign a scroll saw for later when it's time to do intricate work.

11. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

I can not believe that people say you can not cut pieces with a dremel. Sure for bigger pieces a router is more efficient and clean for larger pieces but the dremel is more persise for small peices. Try cutting a 1 cm x 7 cm peice with a router... not going to happen. Bandsaws are also great so as table saws, etc. I stay away from jig saws for the reason that it splinters way too easy. Laser is ultimate if you can afford it.

12. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Dremal with the spiral cutting bit and guide cuts acrylic with easy. much cleaner than a cutting disc but not as nice as a router as it jumps when you move to fast.

13. x3x3non

x3x3non What's a Dremel?

I built an acrylic case from scratch and did it only with a jig saw. Needless to say it was a real bitch to polish, but if you have the time you can cut acrylic with anything you like, just some tool require you to polish the acrylic more.

14. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

my pet beaver does it for me