1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Photoshop CS2 demanding?

Discussion in 'Software' started by (PTK), 5 Aug 2005.

1. (PTK)

(PTK) What's a Dremel?

I have Photoshop CS right now and was thinking about upgrading to CS2, but I have heard that it is very demanding on a computer to run it. Is this true? Is anyone using it? Thanks a lot.

2. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

I run CS2 on a P4 3ghz with 1.5 gigs of PC3200 dual channel ram on a WD 80 gig 8mb cache harddrive and Windows 2003. Runs fine, if not faster than Photoshop 9.0.

3. I heard it was more demanding but seen as I could 'aquire' the newer version at no extra cost, I installed CS 2 and I don't really notice any performance difference and I used a fairly old PC (see PC Box in sig for specs).

4. (PTK)

(PTK) What's a Dremel?

That's sounds good then. How is it compared to CS? Arn't there some new tools and features?

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Photoshop CS2 IS photoshop 9... and it depends what you're doing with it.

If you do serious work with it, it's a pig! So much so I'm upgrading my machine just because CS2 is such a bloated piece of garbage. Don;t get me wrong, it's good.. featurewise... it IS more demanding.

Still worth getting! Perspective tools are greatly improved, and stuff like spot healing is fantastic. Not just PS CS2 either.. illustrator CS2 is wonderful as well. The ability to vectorise bitmap images is a godsend to me, and.... Oh, I could go on all night.. just get it!

Be prepared to upgrade your machine however. If you use large files (the TIFFs I get from the RAWs off my phase One H10 back are 100Mb for instance), then it IS slower than CS.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2005
  6. Death Reaper

Death Reaper What's a Dremel?

Photoshop 7.0 is good enough for me :p

I'm not much into graphics though..so that's probably why :p

I have CS..honestly, I only use it if I get a psd that was made in CS...otherwise it just looks like XP style...spiced up with no real feature difference. Photoshop is much more professionally looking to me.

Regards,

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

CS have native RAW support.. hugely important if you have a digital camera that shoots in RAW mode.

CS2 has some really cool features. One is the perspective vanishing point feature. Imagine you have a photo of a large building, taken from close up. It appears to taper in to a perspective point, like it does when you look up to a tall building from near. Imagine that building had only one window in it, but you wanted to put lots more on it in Photoshop. Copying and pasting in normally would be a MASSIVE amount of work, as each window would be a different shape due to perspective..... but... in CS2.. map out a grid by clicking on all corners of the building, copy ONE window, then paste it in again wherever you want and CS2 will adjust the size and shape to match the perspective. It's HUGELY impressive.

If you go to Window/Workspace/What's New in CS2, the menus will highlight all the new features.

8. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

wwwooooowww. I was just sitting here imageing all that. Power of imagnation. Never new programes can do that window mapping thing. Better read up on it. Intersting to know. Heres me things Ctrl-V was the best thing in graphics programmes.

Cheers :D

9. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Well Photoshop CS2 by itself is not very demanding however it is closely related to Adobe Bridge which uses huge amounts of RAM and leaves 2 cache files in each folder which it displayed... Before I upgraded to added 1gig of RAM, I had problems running it on 512MB. If you're not using RAW or not working a lot with Adobe Photoshop (just a quick photo resize/edit here and there) then I don't even think it is worth upgrading. More about new features.

Tags: