1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FEAR - First thoughts and benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 8 Aug 2005.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

*will download and play this week*

Nice initial impressions, I kind of like that biggles and bindi tag-teamed this. It made for a nice read, particularly when it came to individual opinions. Two points of view is a plus for this sort of thing. I do wish your screenshots were clickable to full-size, though.

Can't say as though it *looks* all that creepy...perhaps playing it will give me a better sense, though. Shame they didn't normal map the crap out of this, it looks like it might have been able to use it for a little more depth. The enemies just look a touch, well, flat by the screenshots you posted.

2. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

Characters look better in game. The models have more depth to them. And it is pretty creepy (as long as your not getting any choppyness and your running it smooth).

I was impressed all around. It looks to be a good game and I can't wait.

EDIT: And Extreme difficulty is the way to go. Honestly slow mo + pistol = the win. I loved dual pistoling in the multi player demo.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2005
  3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

OK, so I'm now FRAPS enabled, and ran some very quick (and unscientific) numbers.

Firefight #2 - I don't want to spoil the surprise for those who haven't played it yet, but let's just say it's the bit where you pick up the nailgun thing.
    Min: 14
    Max: 83
    Ave: 36

Firefight #3 - single runthrough of the Security Room (just after the checkpoint)
    Min: 3
    Max: 79
    Ave: 35

This is my lowly 2.2GHz 400FSB Pentium 4, propped up with a ATI X850XTPE running at stock, and 1.5GB of RAM (only running at 266DDR though). 1280x960 2xAA 2xAF with everything maxxed.

It's not *smoooooth*, and I'm sure Tim would never tolerate the occasional stuttering when changing rooms etc. But all the edges are crispy, the textures are gorgeous... and I guess I have modest standards when it comes to framerates. Yes, I would prefer if it was smooth, and if I was playing an entire game, I would probably revise my settings. But 1024 is a bit too low, so I'd prefer to avoid it.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yea i had this :(
    frame rates would drop to about 10 in certain places, like when you're in the tunnel right after the first set of ladders and theres a message or something, the hud flashes, gets real jerky there
    couple of other places when you turn a corner in a corridor and the bit right at the end where the guy drops from the ceiling, that ran at about 5fps no matter what settings i used :confused:

5. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

thats got the update Biz - interesting. I wasn't having a go honest.

I'll be checking it out tonight on an x800 and i'll post my findings.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I wasn't suggesting you were. ;)

Look forward to hearing how you find it with your system.

7. NovaBurn

NovaBurn What's a Dremel?

System Specs:
    AthlonXP 1700+ 1.5Ghz
    1GB DDR400 RAM (266mhz) at 2-2-2-5
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64mb w/ Catalyst 5.7

Game was run at 800x600x32 with physics at at max, sound at medium and everythign else i believe at minimum settings as it autodetected and set them.

Fear looks very nice even on my system which is about to get upgraded very soon (hence the DDR400 ram running at 266 speeds). I experience not alot of system lag at all, except the area near the end in which there was lots of shadows and metal gratings and such, plus the appearance of the little girl that was REALLY close to you. I definitely saw the game slow down alot. I'll get some FPS numbers soon. Other than that the game ran very smooth, even in high combat situations. For running on a system with my low specs, it ran a hell of alot better than Doom3, or BF2 retail.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

D3 and BF2, on a 9000pro will be a slideshow.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

You'll be running DirectX Shaders there Novaburn - welcome to the forums.

10. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

how you figure out the fps in fear? i played a little bit of it, and hearinf the girl walk behind you and then turning around and no one is there was creepy. it looks like it will be an awome game.

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

fraps :)

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

i started a game and no matter what settings i would use , it would always be in an extremely low resolution , it looked like the old 3D DOS games (kinda like carmageddon) , it was so pixelised.....it was horrible . I tried setting the resolution manualy in the config file but i had the same problem... So i didn't even bother trying the game cuz even with this crappy image quality i had about 30fps

P4E 2.8@3.35Ghz
    1gbDDR 400 corsair value
    P4C800-E Deluxe
    Radeon9800Pro@XT BBA

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Just played this demo, very cool :D

14. Stevedroid

Stevedroid What's a Dremel?

I disappointed the engine overview does not mention that it does parallax (aka offset) mapping. Up to this point it's only the second game (released or near release) to use the effect after Splinter Cell 3.

Check out these bricks for example:
    [​IMG]

Also I like the fact that the article says you can blow chunks out of the wall, when in fact you're not actually blowing anything out of the wall. The holes are actually 2D parallax mapped decals, behold:
    DX8: [​IMG] DX9: [​IMG]

Unfortunately that still shot can't convey how good the parallax mapping is, it really looks like a 3D hole when you see it in the game. I think the fact that the Bit-tech guy didn't recognize they were decals shows just how good it is.

15. darknecromancer

darknecromancer What's a Dremel?

Well I thought I would chime in and throw in my stuff. Alright heres what I'm running:

2.8 Ghz (HT Enabled) P4 800 FSB
    Abit IC7-G
    2 gb Geil PC3200 (200 Mhz) 2.5-4-4-8 (Dual Channel)
    80 gb Sata 133 Non Raid
    BFG 6800 Ultra AGP @ 400 Mhz-1.10 Ghz ( Drivers 77.72 )
    Go to hell on board sound, nothing special
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    DirectX 9.0c

Here is the game settings:

Physics - Max
    Sound - Max
    Effects - all Max

Effects:
    Effects Detail - Max
    Model Decal - Max
    Water Resolution - Max
    Reflections and Display - Max
    Volumetric Lights - On
    Volumetric Lights Density - Med

Graphics:
    4xAA
    Light Detail - Max
    Shadows - Enables
    Shadow detail - Max
    SoftShadows - Off
    Texture Filtering - Anisotropic 4X
    Texture Resolution - Max
    Videos - Max
    Pixel Doubling - Off
    DX8 Shaders - Off
    Resolution - 1024x768
    Shadows - Max

Results:
    Min - 0 (Loading screens, check point saves, never anything near that low in game play)
    Max - 192
    Avg - 68.821

Most of that is pretty much stock, I just changed what few graphical setting i know about AA, texturing, and I changed the res, but after i played and came back to get the settings info, it was at 1024 so i suppose thats what the benching in with. Thought I'd throw that in :)

Dark

Additional - Hay, I've been doing more experimenting with my settings and I changed the DX8 Shaders and Softshadowing. I noticed that whenever i would get into fighting scenes after i start firing for a second my control would lock up. Like if i were holding down 'd' and the mouse 0 button and i released them, it would continue to fire and move right. Plus if i tryed to press anything while this was happening i would hear and extremely loud beep. So i turned off softshadows hoping this would fix it. Same thing just with a 10fps 'not loss' that i was getting with it. so what is DX8 Shadows doing that makes it so CPU intensive that it would lock up?? cause the whole time this is happening the picture is fine, there is no changing in the graphics, other then what is happening, but i mean no graphical problems.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2005
  16. e_fractal

e_fractal What's a Dremel?

I played this on my secondary system (see: old), and it was very playable.

Specs:
    1.73 ghz amd
    Geforce 4 Ti4200
    512mb ram

I played at 800x600 with full textures,a nd 1024x768 at medium. There was only one spot I noticed video lag.

17. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

All I can say is :jawdrop:

This is one I might actually purchase. Hats off to the team which produced this blockbuster game.

18. tecate

tecate What's a Dremel?

My favorite moment from all the demo was when you go down the ladder almost at the end of the level you see that creepy girl, BUT what is even better is the figure of the man walking towards you and disappearing as soon as you come down the same ladder. I litterally jumped up from my seat at that time!!! I did not expect him there at all, because I thought well the girl must have been the scary moment for this part....man I was wrong!
    Can't wait for it to come out!!!

19. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

looks bloody amazing but it lies - the setting it chose for me on my work x700 were well below what was playable. You can push it alot further.

20. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

My specs in sig, most settings at max with a few things turned down to medium and it plays like a dream. This game is actually scary... With Doom3 that was the idea, and it didn't quite get there, F.E.A.R. gives me the creeps, it's absolutely excellent! The ambient sounds in the background give it that extra creepy vibe and I found myself standing in a corner before going around the next bend, and remaining there for a minute or two for fear of what was round the corner. Love it :D Can't wait for it to be released in full, only, I'm poor and can't afford much, 60 euros is pretty hefty for me right now :(

Tags: Add Tags