1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HPRES III MEGA Complete, ty all.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Defyant Mods, 3 May 2005.

1. psynapse

psynapse What's a Dremel?

Wow :hehe:
    This is shaping up to be your cleanest case yet Defyant, top stuff! :thumb:

2. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

thanx heeps mate :thumb: really means alot comming from you mate cheers.

3. swisusto

swisusto What's a Dremel?

it's truly a beautifulst job ... I love too much ;)

4. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I decided to scratch the the top panel mod... i like the mod!! it looked sexy..but for me, the mod was just too overpowering

and overshadowed what i wanted to be the main feature of hpr3mega...

i decided to still make a feature... and thinking that i still needed a HDD signal light i'd try somthing that i thought would be sleek stylish and suit this mod better.

the top panel of HPs come apart into 2 sections, the panel that pops out has a nice round edge with a sunken middle..i decided to use this part to install the new custom
    HDD light.

first off was some crude marking

[​IMG]

close eunf was good enuf as the new plex light could be made to fit the shape.

[​IMG]

using some thin sheet plex and scissors cut out a template

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

transfer the shape onto some 10mm plex and cut it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

putting the cut peice underneath you can see it wont sit flush!!!

some some channel edging is done to allow a section of the plex to raise up thu the hole and sit even with the top of the panel..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some heat is applied to the plex light to get the contour of the top panel...its bends three ways!!! but a few goes got it perfect.

a fit up to see all is good.

[​IMG]

5. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

next it was inside for some final wet rubbing for shape and a one more to get the frosted themed look to match the rest of this mod.

40 mins later and some very wrinkly finger tips the new light was created!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was to try a fit up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and of course....lights action! i was impressed , i think thiswill look very classy flashing to HDD activity and wont over power the whole mod as the original idea would.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

of course! dual colours will be added!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. psynapse

psynapse What's a Dremel?

That's awesome, bet it'll look even better with some HDD activity :clap:

If you be bothered, you might consider wiring up the HDD LEDs direct from the IDE cable, so that way you can put a different coloured LED in the strip for each drive :idea:

Funny how this mod has been mutating along the way though. I was showing the worklog to a friend today, and to begin with wasn't sure this was the case i was thinking of :dremel:

Any plans for the top rad box or the old front fan box you used to have in the case?

7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

psynapse cheers mate! thats a bloody awsome idea!!

hehe yer HPRES2 mutated a few time along the way...hence the "evolution" tag..

theres never really a set path to a defyant mod :p they just sort of become,

and on a mod like this where its such a long trip its a nice luxury to play around with ideas and share them with other modders.

ive also watched you over the past few months create some awsome stuff mate! i can see a genuine killer flair to your work..i think some day you will be teaching us all new modding tricks :)

not sure what i'll do with the old fan box... its still hangin on the wall in the workshop.... theres always HP4 pheonix rising!! NOT!

8. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

That's a freakin cool/hot mod :thumb: (depending on the color you choose :D )

9. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Wow, have i told you your an inspiration to us all???

10. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: here we go again.... The Defyant's attack! LOL. :D

11. TCEuk

TCEuk What's a Dremel?

AMAZING! Subscribed. It looks so sharp... i love the frosted plexi, especially the tubes.

Seriously, clearpc.ca need you to design them a frosted case!

With the side that is a all frosted. If you had a square in the middle that wasnt frosted you could see in, but also i think i am right in saying that it wouldnt glow as it wouldnt diffuse the light. Might have a nice effect imo.

12. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

another l.e.d.+plexi case, I can't get enough, this one in particular brings a tear to my eye. :eeek:

13. MonkeySpank

MonkeySpank Banned

[​IMG]

Subscribed! :rock:

14. Variance

Variance What's a Dremel?

You know, to go with your whole hot/cold theme, you could have the activity light be blue when the system's idele, and hve it read when there's HDD activity. If you toss a capacitor on the line too, you could have it fade and glow instead of blinking. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and great work on this mod so far! The huge front blowhole isn't for me, but you executed it really well. Good luck on the rest of the mod.

15. crazybee

crazybee Black & Yellow

I'm loving the look of this one cause it gave me the idea of trying to do the bondo work and front fans like you have. It looks like that whole fan enclosure could also hold your rad at the same time which is a very cool idea if thats what your going to do. I dont think I'm up to making an enclosure like that but its given me ideas on how to mount mine though I have to say. Wish me luck on it but I'm taking my sweet ass time on it, getting all my W/C stuff in before I've even though about mobo, processor ect ect....

16. AMD2800

AMD2800 What's a Dremel?

this projects is unique and i love it, and the frosted tubing rocks :)

17. csTYCOON

csTYCOON What's a Dremel?

The RCA fan connector idea is sweet, I like whats going down here :woot:

18. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Great project again. The tubing is just briljant! It is the part I like the most.

19. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

MEGA RES

You all knew HPR3-MEGA was going to have a "MEGA" res! but what no one was to know was the external effect of this res was to be.

the back custom back board lighting effect was not only to provide light internally but extrenally as well!!

The board gives off more light then id ever expected.. and is truly an amazing effect to see in RL.. and will also provide light for the MEGA RES Feature!

First off was to finish building HPR3's Mega-Resthis is is HUGE..and it had to be :p @ 400mm long and 80mm accross the RES is going to be a main feature.

i opted this time for full 10mm thick tops and bottems as these would also act the the main and only anchor points for the MEGA res.

the partially built res.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top peice and 1/2" fittings

[​IMG]

the HEX head bolts that will secure the res to the motherboard back wall.

using a "thing-a-majig" to find dead centre of the circle, these things are great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the innner thread on the bsb gas type fittings is 12mm spot on. an 11.5mm drill is used for the holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

DRilling and tapping the threads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good clean thread is important a perfect seal is a must.

[​IMG]

Next is to drill and thread the top and bottem of the MEGA res

[​IMG]

Next drill and counter sink the motherboard back panel.This will allow the HEX head bolt to sit down flush and avoid touching the MB..also looks spiffy too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bolting up the MEGA res for as test run! a view from inside the case....i think you can already see the light effect this is going give off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again the flush fitting of the HEX bolt.

[​IMG]

a view from the outer side.

[​IMG]