1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Uber Keyboard (not just LED's and a paint job)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jerm, 12 Aug 2005.

1. Jerm

Jerm What's a Dremel?

I was tired of having a USB hub, hard drive, card reader, mouse reciever, and keyboard all crowding my small desk.

which led me to the mod-in-progress i have now. My keyboard (a gateway millenium USB keyboard) now has a USB 2.0 hub, laptop hard drive, 18-in-1 card reader, 2x16 LCD display, USB 1.1 hub, and wireless mouse reciever. oh, and 4 switches. attachable lamps and another switch are in the works.

My question: is there anything else i should add to this keyboard? (already changed LED's to blue, will be getting a new paint job, etc)

pictures may be coming soon (i would start a project log but i have no pictures of the first 60% of the project)

2. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

mabe an expresso maker, refridgerator, speakers, air conditioner, pull out sofa bed,... lol jk , but you can mabe add a laptop cd drive if your pc is on the floor and you dont want to reach down to put cd's in and mabe one of those usb fans to cool your sweaty fingers lol. Good luck on your mod
    i'd like to see pics of this mod when its finished :D

3. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

A kitchen sink?

PEACE

4. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

:sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES :waah: :waah: :waah:

a true mod can really never be described in words anyway... :worried: :worried: :worried:

5. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

This sounds so cool i want pics :rock: :rock: :rock:

6. Vito

Vito What's a Dremel?

It is not fair, telling us all the gadgets you have put in your keyboard and then... not even a picture. When I first read your post I scrolled down, thinking "Oh-oh, this is going to be great. For sure there will be some marvellous pictures at the bottom, showing us the keyboard of the future. Maybe I can get some ideas". But... no pictures.
    Please, have mercy. Give us some pictures.
    ¿Or is it a bluff? :D

7. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Is it a multimedia keyboard?

Power, reset, CD and DVD buttons?

8. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Why would you want a USB 2.0 as well as a USB 1.1 hub inside the keyboard?

9. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

oh! oh! Pictures? PLEASE!!! it sounds sexay! How thick is the cable leading to your PC anyway? :lol: Sound like somting I might rip off... hehe im such a theif.

-CollinstheClown

10. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Pictures. Please :D And anyway, why 2 usb hubs, (or more to the point, why a usb 1.1 hub) And how do you plan on powering this keyboard.

11. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

via nuclear power by the sounds of it....you HAVE to post pictures. And yea? whats with the USB 1.1 hub as well as the 2? did you need more USB ports or just wanted to see if you could cram it into the keyboard.

and thinking about it now...thats got to be ONE HELLOVA FAT Keyboard!! :rock:

12. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I am inclined to believe this may be a total fabrication.

13. Jerm

Jerm What's a Dremel?

ok. i will try to gtew pictures up after work today. i get off my othwrwise full-time job early so i have about 6+ hours to do dedicated modding.

is it a multimedia keyboard? used to be. thats where the LCD and 2 switches are now though. i only use the multimedia keys on my wireless anyway.

why USB 1.1 and 2.0? so bandwidth doesn't get bogged down by devices that dont need to be 2.0 (mouse, keyboard, LCD, etc) also, the first hub i ordered for this project wasaccidentally 1.1, and i ahd to use it.

is it a total fabrication? If by that you mean I'm lying, then no

since I'm new at any forums whasoever i might need help with the pics (the FAQ wasnt too helpful) :worried:

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

resize um and stick um up at PhotoBucket.com

if somebody likes the mod they will usueally offer to host ur pics for you.

oh and i say add a headphone jack.

15. Jerm

Jerm What's a Dremel?

i would add a headphone jack but for 2 reasons:i have a kickin' stereo that i use (dont take my case to LAN parties anyway) and 2 everything is USB thus far. there are 2 cords coming out of the back of this thing: USB to the PC and power (5V, 2.4A). so that would require buying USB speakers. This might be something I attempt on my monitor-verion of this (still just a plan, but a monitor with a CD drive, floppy drive, IRDA, microphone, webcam, and 2 open USB ports on a 7-port hub)

16. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

hehe, if you do the monitor one, it will be like an apple with a mobo in a seperate case. you might as well build everything (inc mobo etc) into the monitor :) sounds well cool btw, so i cant wait until pics :)

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

bah this doesn't exist

18. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Since I have some spare space on my photobucket account, you can email them to me, and Ill host them on my photobucket account if you want (I have some spare space, theyl just need to be under 200K becuase Im on the free plan)

19. Jerm

Jerm What's a Dremel?

proto-pictures

thanks to everyone who helped me with the pictures situation. i made a photobucket account, and right now it has 2 pictures.

this one:
    [​IMG]
    [note. bad sketch]
    which is the original idea i drew up while sitting bored in physics class this april (not useful for getting more than a general idea of what I'm doing: the zip drive has been removed (too tall) and the card reader is moved)

and this one:
    [​IMG]
    which is a diagram i created last night of the board. (power connections not included)

I will be working on the mod this evening, one of my family members has a good quality camera I can use but that person does not get home until 6 or so.

:dremel:

Last edited: 11 Sep 2005
  20. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

It better be worth the wait :rock: :D