1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows OEM OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by Izdawiz, 11 Aug 2005.

1. Izdawiz

Izdawiz What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,
    Well I have a question maybe some one can help me out? My girlfriend had bought a Dell Dimensions 8100. She also had a DELL OEM operating system the computer is no longer existing, but it would be a darn shame to let the OS go to waste. The CD says to only use it on a DELL PC. And it wont let me use it on my PC. Is it some how protected?

2. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

some of the Dell CD's are protected (others arn't) but that's kinda besides the point as OEM licences are non transferable so unfortanly if the PC goes the licence goes with it.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Some OEM WinXPs (eg, some Dell XPs) don't need activation, but will only install on a PC with a matching (ie, a Dell) BIOS version.

Though as SP! says, MS will only activate an OEM copy a second time if it's on very similar hardware to the original activation.

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Interesting, Dell seems to ruin motherboards & now operating systems. *takes note* *plans to take down Dell one computer at a time* :worried:

5. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Is it labelled a restore CD by any chance? I had one of those with an old PC and wouldn't even install if I changed the hard drive in it. EVERY bit of hardware needed to be the same!

6. Izdawiz

Izdawiz What's a Dremel?

No its not labelled restore CD. It just came in a microsoft envelope. But thanks to all who replied. Very much apreciated :rock:

7. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Microsofts policy is that the OEM software is it's born and dies with the computer. OEM is discounted so it is only for the machine it was born with. :wallbash: Complete BS, but it's true. Most OEM disks are sytem specific. I tried to use a Compaq OEM on a laptop of a different model and could not get the disk to boot. I kept getting an error telling me I am not using the correct machine and to try again.

Since you don't have a restore disk I think you will be successful.

Tags: