1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu too hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sid, 15 Jun 2002.

1. Sid

Sid Banned

athlon xp 1900+ not overclocked, with alpha heatsink and 80mm delta 60sumthinCFM inside a coolermaster atc-201.
    my temps are:

Case: 26
    CPU: 57 :eeek:

these temperatures wer taken just after boot

i kinda feel that 57 is way too high for the amount of cooling ive got on the cpu. im using an abit kx7-333 mobo. erm, what could i have done wrong?

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

what is you case cooling like...not matter how good ur hsf is, if the case cooling cant handle it it will get hot...

also is the fan on the alpha sucking or blowing??

3. Sid

Sid Banned

erm, the case cooling are the standard fans that come on coolermasters. i think that they are YS Tech or whatever that they're called. There's 4 of them and they're 80mm. I don't think the case is the problem cos im gettin temps of 26 for that.

the cpu fan is sucking i think

4. felix the cat

what about the blwoholes...can the hot air get out of the sytem easily??

5. Sid

Sid Banned

wires are rather messy i suppose, but i dont think thats the problem for the cpu temps. i dunno, im buyin sum rounded eide cables 2moro, so that should help i suppose. ill check the heatsink again 2moro. but im goin to bed.

6. felix the cat

ok....well, when i have one system exaust fan on half speed, i get temps of 24 for case and 38 for cpu with my alpha, both fans being 80mm YS-tech ones...:cooldude:

7. Sid

Sid Banned

well, i neated up the inside of the case and i overclocked the xp 1900+ from 1600MHz to 1680MHz and ive got temps of:

case 24
    cpu 49/50

still a bit warm i think

8. ug_the_caveman

ug_the_caveman What's a Dremel?

9. Sid

Sid Banned

i tried switching the fan to blowing, no change in temps.

then i pulled out the lot, and used 3 washers on the screws for the heatsink as supposed to 2 and tightened it like hell. delta to sucking. turned on. overclocked from 1600MHz to 1680MHz.

case: 22
    cpu: 44

not bad. how about u other guys with alphas? how cool is ur cpu? i still reckon it should be a little cooler. i dunno.

10. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

The best thing you can do now, after the sensible changes you've made is to LEAVE IT.

The temps should improve over the next month or so, as the compound settles in. What thermal compound are you using? AS3 goes through chemical changes, as does AA, but AS2 and AS both benefit from time also, as they settle into the places they should be, and away from where they shouldn't.

44C is a fine temp for any reasonably fast AMD CPU. My CPU is typically room temp + 20C at full load, and that's a Tbird 1400@ 1633, which is putting out more heat than your palomino (you're probably in the 75-80W region...I'm at 92W), but I have 4 45CFM case fans (although more than this would be entirely unecessary).

I suggest you try ducting the air from your alpha straight out of the machine, since it's going to be some of the hottest air in there, and you don't want it recirculating. Look here (sorry, but you have to C&P this link....): www.geocities.com/isibson/ducting1.jpg

11. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

I get 39 load at 1.87vcore, when using a Mechatronics 53cfm fan on the Alpha, and a load of case cooling :)

Personally I actually use the shoulder washer on the springs, as using these places slightly more pressure on the cpu than 3 of the normal washers (a shoulder washer works out slightly thicker than 3 normal washers)......more pressure is good, but too much will break the CPU, so be careful. In this configuration the Alpha bends the motherbpoard very slightly, in the same way as the p4 cooler does for the pentium4 mobos (as Intel recommend it does) :eeek: but providing it is level the pressure *shouldnt* do any damage at all, and should improve temperatures.

However this is entirely at your own risk, for a slightly different socket height or using this method when the could result in a crushed core rather than better temperatures, especially if you dont tighten it up by switching from opposite corner to corner.

The ammount of pressure is very important to the contact, and this is why the FOP-32/38 do so well in the cooling stakes......while very basic, simple designs, their very stiff (and also difficult to use) clips exert more pressure than most other heatsinks, improving the thermal conductivity and therefore temperatures significantly.

:)

12. GJUK

GJUK What's a Dremel?

whats rong with 50 ^C.

stop complaining, if its stable.

:sigh:

13. Sid

Sid Banned

ur cpu is at room temp!!? :eeek:

how the f**k did u manage that? erm, what rating are the fans on a coolermaster atc-201. i havnt really bothered to check. surely changing mine to 45CFM ones wont make my CPU run at room temperature? what else can i do apart from ducting it or waiting.

14. Will

Thats very true, bit if yuor trying to squeeze the last few Mhz out of your chip, the cooler the better :)

Reading back, nobody has actually said that...

:)

15. GJUK

GJUK What's a Dremel?

NOT OVERCLOCKED i read.

wheres the TECS, watercooling, freezers..."wot u mean hes only using a heatsink for 3ghz"...:eyebrow:

...nothin mentioned here aobut major clockin, this guys runnin his cpu ate defalt. and tbh i dunno why hes crying over his temps. ther nout rong with em.

16. Will

Overclocked I read. Not by much, but overclocked nonetheless.

Thats why he wants better temperatures. You dont want to spend £40 on a heatsink and getting the same temperatures as you would a generic heatsink, thats why hes concerned.....theres nowt seriously wrong with his temps cos his computers not crashing and the CPUs not on fire, but he still wants to get the best he can out of the Alpha, and thats what we're trying to help him with.

Comprende senor?

17. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

GJUK- What's wrong with 50C? Your thermal diode is underneath the CPU. Your real CPU temp is somewhat higher. Say 15C difference between the underside of the packaging and the top of the CPU. 65C. 65C not going to live as long as 55C (40C measured).

Where's the TECs? No ones uses air-cooled TECs these days. WAY too dangerous. Watercooling? I believe I have better things to spend £200 on than a watercooling setup, especially when my alpha, with my C/W of around 0.2, performs as well.

And the point about the overclocking/modding community was originally to get the most out of what you have. While expensive heatsinks do go a little beyond that, expensive watercooling goes WAY beyond that. All this thread is about is extracting the best possible performance from a very capable heatsink, and as we've seen, so far a little tweaking has produced a 13C improvement whilst increasing clock speed by 80MHz. Now I, personally, think that isn't too bad an improvement for £0.

18. Sid

Sid Banned

whoops, i was reading a little to fast while and didnt notice the +20 degrees bit.

I'm "crying" over my temps because im a perfectionist. I am not happy unless I am doing the best I possibly can do.

We dont all hav 360 posts, we arn't all SUPERMODDERS. I am 15 and have just build my first decent computer and I have never overclocked before. Therefore, I do not have quite the experience or expertise as yourself. However, I am perfectly happy with my nice new shiney computer and I will continue to overclock it gradually as I see fit.

Cheers for all the help guys.

19. felix the cat

take the overclocking in nice easy steps and just watch those temps...

great to hear people building their own pcs...keep it up....:dude:

20. The Punisher 2000

The Punisher 2000 What's a Dremel?

Hey its been awhile since i posted so i thought WTH. Anyway I had the exact same problem here and i posted and i would like to thank flix-the-cat for helping check you exhaust is what he told me. I have a Delta 80 cfm and was wondering why my proc was running at 50 C. Well I added another 80mm exhaust in the back right under my current one in my Lian Li. It dropped my temps like 6 or seven degrees. Then i added an AGP airlift w/ a Delta 60mm under my proc on my GeForce 4 TI 4600 and now my temps are a a whopping 34 C at Full Load (SiSoft Sandra Burn In Wizard & CPU Burn at the same time) So there u go. And once again thanks to all that helped me with this prob.

T[H]anks.