1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSOne and Video card questions...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by smithm5, 12 Aug 2005.

1. smithm5

smithm5 What's a Dremel?

okay so i almost have the screen done....and i need to get a second video card (PCI) to run it.

will the 7000 ati work? ive read alot of threads here...and cant find a definate answer.

Also, is there a way to setup the moniters so there there is a keystroke in order to change displays? i dont want to extend the desktop.

If i start a game of soemthing else 3d liek that, will is turn off the display to the LCD?

Thanks.

Mike

2. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

I can confirm the 7000 works - I'm using one for the very same reason next to an X800XTPE.

I use altramon to run all the multi-screen stuff - it's very good.

Also, when running 3d games like Far Cry or whatever, the screen stays on - but I can't tell any performance drops

3. smithm5

smithm5 What's a Dremel?

good to kno....can you post all you settings?

are you only using altramon (ultramon?) or do you use powerstrip also?

i cant wait to get this working :)

Mike

4. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Sorry late reply, been away for the weekend (always nice).

Anyhow, pretty standard settings really. Haven't overclocked the main card until I put water on the thing, but I'm using ATI Tool. I've also got MaxiVista installed to use a laptop screen. Here's a couple of screen shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the cards through the window (not great I know)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there's anything else you need to compare, just shout!

5. smithm5

smithm5 What's a Dremel?

i still need to resolder my VGA cable....and get the vid card....then hope it all works.

Can you setup the moniters so that there is a key stroke to switch displays? I dont want to "extend" but would rather have a keystroke like KVM switches or something...

THX

Mike

6. streetknight

streetknight What's a Dremel?

are u using the 7000 for svideo out? is it not better to use teh vga?

7. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Unfortunately I don't know how/if you can do the keystroke thing. Hopefully someone else will have the answer.

Yes, it's better to use the VGA. However, I'm only using it for pretty system stats and heard the occational story about how hard it was to setup, so I figured I'd go the S-Video route. At least for now.

8. smithm5

smithm5 What's a Dremel?

okay so i resoldered my VGA cable and im goin home to test it tomorrow. When i initially plug it in, will i see some picture? or do i need to have powerstrip setup to see even anything?

Basically, i want to kno if i made this correctly, meaning there will be some distorted picture that needs adjustment, or even it is correct, i will see nothing until configured.

Thanks.

Mike

9. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Well, I have tried powerstrip and when it was setup wrong it was noticable - bright coloured lines going crazy is how I would describe it.

Although you'll need another modder to confirm this who uses VGA

10. gstlouis

gstlouis What's a Dremel?

You will need to make sure that windows is recognizing the monitor first off. Do this by looking at your display settings. Ensure that you see "default monitor on Radeon 7000 series" (or something similar to this). If so, you know it is being detected. Then have power strip installed and running, and do the configuration mumbo (640x480i arcade). Once applied, you should see a picture. HOWEVER, one problem I ran into, is that I was limited in my colors to 256. When I did anything higher, I got a mosaic layout of blocks for a screen. Looked like somebody had scrambled my desktop into a puzzle. Seems that this effect is known as "tiling". If you experience the same problem, you will need to turn it off. Search the forums, theres a thread that explains this.

Hope this helps!