1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project AloX ::UPDATE:: January 12 2006 -=new plans=-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dries, 4 May 2005.

1. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

The giant +120 mm fan housing -which is to be found on an earlier post- is meant to be put on top of the plexi plate, to draw out all hot air.

greetings,
    Dries

2. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

A video of the pneumatic setup is on the way :D !
    But sadly enough my upload space is running low :sigh: ...
    So I need to find a way to upload my WMV file.

3. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Here's the requested video of the Pneumatic Test Setup!
    It's in WMV format and is only +4 MB big, so don't expect HD images :D ...
    Also, when opening, the setup shakes a bit, but that's because it isn't attached to the case yet. When attached to the mod, much (if not all) of the vibration will be absorbed.
    But that are problems for later. Let's now take a look at the movie!

movie clip

greetings,
    Dries

4. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

Sweet action on that cylinder. You may have already addressed this earlier, what are you going to do about having to adjust the hose between opening and closing?

BTW - Subscribed!

5. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

I was wondering the same ... maybe it can be done with some kinda Y piece with a valve/button on it?

6. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

It would not be very clever too switch the hoses all the time for opening and closing!
    That's why I bought me a Festo pneumatic valve (as can be seen on the latest pic on the update of August 9th). It's a JMEH-5/2-1/8-B type valve with 2 magnetic reels. These reels can be powered up by a custom made PSU which delivers 24V DC. I can choose to activate 1 of 2 outlets, respectively for upward movement (tube attached to the bottom of the cylinder) and downward movement (tube attached to the top of the cylinder).

This is the valve btw:
    [​IMG]

greetings,

Dries

7. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I've been thinking about what logo I should use for this casemod, who's name is AloX.
    And by doing that I came up with this and I think it looks kinda sweet :naughty: !

This motif will be lasercut (the black parts will be cut away) on the inox plates which cover the fans on the sides (too suck away the CCFL air).
    Behind it, I'll put a blurred transparant plexi plate which should glow nicely because of the very bright bleu LED's of the fans...

[​IMG]

I think the logo design fits the overall casemod design nicely. I made it so that the logo has something in common with the CCFL structures...

greetings,
    Dries

8. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

Sweet logo...I agree that it fits the overall design of the case to a 'T'. :rock:

9. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

i like the logo. And i agree it fits nicely with the case

10. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

:: Yet A Very Small Update ::

Hi,

Yesterday evening I got my 12/24V DC PSUs.
    Sincere thanks to Filip Smets (aka Digi, not on this forum though...) for building these amazingly compact powersupplies!
    I needed them because my pneumatic pump requires 12V DC at 6 amps at full load... I thought it might be a bad idea to hook it up on the normal PSU, since 72W (12V*6A) is a lot of power to boost!
    The 24V DC PSU is needed for the operation of the magnetic valve. It's got a magnetic reel, so I thought it worked on AC, but it didn't, so I needed a small 24V DC PSU, which I got now :D !
    You may wonder: "Why not using a normal PSU and taking together a blue (-12V) and yellow wire (+12V) to get 24V DC?"
    Well, in fact the pump and valve will be placed quite seperately. The pump will be placed in a small external casing (with the plasma plate on it), while the valve will be put inside the casemod (because it is small and the pump isn't). Therefore -by using a normal PSU- I would have to draw my blue and yellow cable from that PSU into the actual casemod, which would be highly unpractical...
    Pictures are following later on this day!

greetings,
    driesel

11. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

mm, probably no pics today, due to minor milling machine probs.

12. Dries

Dries What's a Dremel?

UPDATE

Hi,

It's been quite a while since I've posted on this thread. It has almost been half a year since I posted my last reply.
    But here I am again...and I've got some plans.

I announce to you that work on the case will be continued in the week from 30 january till 05 february. This as an estimation.
    The work on the case has been discontinued ALL this time, so I really feel the need to work on it once again.

The things that need to be done:
    *I still need to finish the alu fan housings
    *make a small printport circuit board to control the pneumatic system
    *allign all the LED's in the border + set up the 'running light'

*no hardware modifications (mobo testsetup etc.) because of the fact that I can't afford my PC to be blown open :).
    My PC is a substantial part in my studies right now, so I must keep it intact ;).

Maybe some other things might follow, but I won't make to many promises...

So, see you soon on this thread

P.S.: These are some sketches I already made quite a while ago, but this seemed to be the perfect opportunity to reveal them here.
    It's a concept design for a HDD's fanduct and a retension system to eliminate vibrations of the HDD's (just a piece of rubber attached to some metal plate, really:))
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

greetings,
    Dries