1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding lcd screen mod - help needed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lstopper, 17 Aug 2005.

1. lstopper

lstopper What's a Dremel?

hi there every one

This forum has been recomended from a mate who visits here a lot. He told me a lot of the members are pro engineers etc etc and said you would definetly be able to help me out. So im counting on you guys for a little help :D (little is an exageration)

Right, ive had a spare laptop screen sitting around my house for a while now, a few weeks ago i was on the verge of buying me a PSOne screen and shoving that baby in the front of my case with a simple vga mod (found the guide on these forums actualy). Then i thought, why go for a baby screen when i can have the mother of screens mounted in the side of my case ?

The screen is a IDTech IAG02D 12.1" XGA http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lstopper/screen.JPG
    From what i can see it still has the controller fitted at the bottom (correct me if im wrong like) but i cant make head or tail of the connector :eyebrow: (bottom right of pic)
    Ive searched high and low for adapters and guides but found nothing.

What i want to do is, with a little soldering, connect a vga cable connector (to use on a dual monitor display) and a 12v power cable to connect to a standard molex from the psu in the pc.
    cutting and mounting is not a problem, its just the connections i need help with :thumb:

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Luke

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Your new here, I know, but if you search the forum for laptop screen, you find three pages of people tring to do the same thing. Basically, it can't be done (you'd be better off buying a whole new LCD monitor and using that).

I'm sure people would be more than willing to help you along with the PS one screen mod though, it's a lot cheaper and easier, and has a real DIY sense of achievement with it.

My best advice is to sell the screen on ebay, and buy a PS one screen with the money. Welcome anyway, hope this doesn't put you off staying :)

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i had the same problem with an old laptop screen i wanted to use as a second monitor. what i did instead was just keep it with the origional laptop and use it like that. there was no way to mod it to work for me, so i gave up. made myself a nice tablet pc though.

4. lstopper

Not at all :)

I just wanted to be extra and have a nice big screen slapped in the side of my pc rather than a 5"
    Are you sure its not a case of finding the correct wires to solder to the vga plug ?

to mattthegamer463: unfortunatly the laptop is long gone and couldnt afford to build a new one.

Looks like its going to be a dual PSOne screen jobby then :thumb: Thanks though

5. csTYCOON

csTYCOON What's a Dremel?

Wurd Life -- Welcome

6. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

i came for the same reason, and i stuck around!

but yeah, you'd be better off doing it another way. you might even be able to buy a not-gaming quality monitor used from a local business.

7. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

how do you plan to run dual ps1 monitors, since a graphx card only has 2 video outputs anyway, one primary, and one secondary...., unless you plan to split the primary as well, so that you can see what is displayed on ur monitor on ur computer, in that case i still dont reccomend it, as it will be unreadable, since the ps1 lcd's have the resolution of a flat panel tv monitor, not a vga based 'flat panel'....

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick, it was only one additional monitor he intended to use.

Yeah, it requires a complex controller that's usually built into the laptop's graphics card / motherboard, for the price you're better buying a whole new screen.

That's about the best idea, doesn't matter if the frame's old and scuffed, we're not interested in that part :thumb:

9. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

as long as they didn't have any high schoolers to push on the screen and ruin it ;)

10. Warrior_Rocker

..., i can only respond to what others say, seeing into his mind that 'dual psone screen' somehow means 1 screen... i guess i missed out on that in math..., but i do not see the logic in that statement of using 2, as he most likely meant a regular monitor and a ps1 lcd... however i dont ASS-U-ME....

11. lstopper

Ah the dual psone screens
    My x800 has 3 outputs, vga, dvi and composite. Ill be using the dvi with vga adapter and the composite for 2 screens.
    The composite isnt going to be as good quality, but its a dual screen setup.
    2 screens is just an idea right now but 1 if a deffo.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

On behalf of the Bit-Tech team: welcome to the forums! We hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Once you got your PSOne screen running, have a look at a program called Samurize to see what you can do with it. :naughty:

13. lstopper

hey thanx nexxo, samurize looks pretty good.
    Winamp on one screen and the weather on the other :rock:

14. Warrior_Rocker

btw that is still only 2 outputs...

the card autoconfigures the ports at computer startup, but you can change them through the ati control panel..., the svideo port will either be configured to output from the primary or the secondary channel for video, there is no 3rd different output

15. lstopper

ahh i see what your saying
    which one wouldnt you class as an output then ?
    From what i can see my gfx card has 3 connections, 2 which i can use for seperate monitors (in my case, my monitor and a ps screen with vga mod) and 1 for video out (which ill use on my 2nd ps screen), the ati control panel even lets me select all 3 seperatly.
    Please let me know if you think this won't work before i go spending my cash only to find out im fudged :D

16. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

oh, if that laptop's still working...

http://www.maxivista.com/

Might help, use it with my lappy when I'm home, pretty good over wireless.