1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Man arrested after 'Virtual Mugging' spree

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 18 Aug 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. GoTaLL

GoTaLL What's a Dremel?

lol.. what can you say.. they die of playing to much and they get arrested cause they virtually steals ear rings? .. imagine 10 years from now if it keeps up .. "mom i can you drive me to work? i lost my license wile playing need for speed".

3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Release the (digital) hounds! :p

4. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

Lineage II was great but because of the compeditiveness that breeded things such as this, I quit. The people who are being virtually mugged most probably used a bot to sit there and grind away to gain the currency to purchase those items.. so their argument is blunted a bit.

I play games to have fun, and in a PvP compeditive game its hard to play games, have fun and compete with people who use bots to run their characters 24-7. Ebaying and what not was rampant in that game. Once ebaying is taken care of, a lot of these virtual problems will be solved. I have yet to see a developer come up with a solution to solve the problem.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

the farming of credits or camping of spawns for the loot to then sell on for real cash is a problem in a lot of MMORPGs now. There are companies that are set up purely for this sort of work. All too often it ruins whatever in game economy there is as people can buy millions of credits or whatever for a relatively small amount of real cash.

This is not something I am a fan of happening, I am one of those old fashioed types who likes to earn thier in game cash, in fact it took me a fair while to get my first million in Star Wars Galaxies but it felt so much better for the time taken

6. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

i agree whole heartedly. I saw an article online somewhere a while back that talked about how this is evolving as a business. I guess the sweat shops over in china, they pay people like 50-75 bucks a week (or maybe it was month) to work, and they pull in like 1,000 a day off of sales. These numbers are straight from a very vague memory, but it was some insane amount of profit like that.

7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

the reason people do this though is because they either realy want that item, or want money. if game stuff wasnt worth anything, or theyre was a strict banning on selling stuff on ebay and auction places, this problem wouldnt happen. like that guy who murdered that other guy for selling his sword in a game. if stuff wasnt sellable in the real world, people wouldnt kill each other for it.

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

i cant believe this is freakin illegal. so some1 lost their level 9 cumquat or their level 15 motorized *****. Who f'n cares. Stop waistin ur life by sitting at ur computers 24/7. I think this guy is kinda smart lol. F'n ridiculous.

9. crichards

crichards What's a Dremel?

Ha!

Happily playing World of Warcraft and then, suddenly, look out! It's an Agent!

"Mr. Anderson! I've come to rob you of your Thor Hammer"

"My name! Is w@rg0d5tu55y!"

:D

10. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

LOL!

How the hell did the Police not just laugh in the victims faces and tell em to F.O cos your wasting our time.

Its a bit harsh on the players but tbh I think this makes the game more interesting (well if the guy was mugging them whilst playing and not a bot), its a game its an escape from reality, are we all mass murders then? I must have killed thousands of people in the time ive been playing games, loadsa terrorist tho so it aint all bad :D

11. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Another vote for the "I can't believe the police took this seriously" team. Aren't any in-game items technically the property of the company that makes and hosts the games? As such, did he report a guy for stealing items that were never technically his?

If someone came to me and asked me to arrest someone for attacking their character online and stealing stuff, in a game where they know playing it involves a risk of being attacked and robbed, I'd laugh them right out of the station. The fact that it was a bot makes it even worse.

"Sir, a computer-controlled character in an online video game attacked my character and stole my virtual goods! Arrest the person who scripted that character!"
    ".... What?"

12. TMM

TMM Modder

"do you bought some items of eBay"

teh broked english?! :D

13. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Why was the bot not arested, the guy was merely an acomplice. Or maybe he didnt know they were stolen!!!!! :eeek:

:D

I wonder when the first computer centenced to a stoning will be? :eyebrow:

14. silentriver

silentriver What's a Dremel?

thats quite funny and slightly disturbing

15. ahh.. some of the comments in this threads just made me laugh! :hehe:

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

does EvE have these problems I want to have a go at it.

Tags: Add Tags