1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WinXP not recognizing all 200GBs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bandit_zoraK, 20 Aug 2005.

1. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

As the title says, I am wanting to install xp on my new machine but the setup only recognizes the hard drive as 130 GBs. Is there a way to get it to recognize all 200 gigs or am I going to have to install then format the rest as a smaller partition?

Also, since I just got an Athlon x2 4400, is there a retail release or beta for xp 64-bit or is it not out yet? Know any good 64-bit linux distros?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks.

2. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

Have you tried Linux yet? See what kind of partitioning you could get outta that?

If it shows the full 200 gigs in the Linux partition app, then yes it is the Windows XP CD, which is kinda weird. But then if it doesn't, then you got a bad Hard drive. Exchange it for a new one. BTW what HD you got?

3. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Hmmm I'm not totally sure, but I think that when you install XP, and install Motherboard Drivers full 200Gigs should be recognized... :worried:

As for XP 64bit, it was released a WHIIIIIILE but not many people use it since it did not provide much of a performence boost. Quite few people went back to regular XP since Daemon tools did not work. (they should release a new version with 64 support this year)

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I think that you can use a product such as PartitionMagic to increase the size of the partition once you have installed Windows.

You'll need SP1 before Windows recognises the full capacity, as versions before that lacked 48-bit LBA support required for larger drives. You could try slipstreaming your Windows disc (Google for more info) with SP1/2, as I think that this will enable support for 48-bit LBA in the setup. I'm not sure though.

5. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Ok, my disk is slipstreamed, so I will just go ahead and install it then run partition magic, that seems to make sense.
    Thanks again.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you do a full reinstall with an SP2 or SP1 copy, you should be able to choose right when doing the partitioning bit during setup. Partition magic shouldn't be necessary.

BTW are you liking the X2 or have you not used it enough to say? I wanna get one but can't justify the cost right now :/

7. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Yes, XP x64 is out, but the driver support is abysmal. I would wait until Windows Vista comes out. As for 64-bit Linuxes, just about every distro now (at least the bigger ones), have a x64 variant.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you go to teh Maxtor or seagate websites, and use their online disk tools to format the drives, you will get the option to install all the stuff you need enable your windows installation to recognize drives larger than 137Gb. This will be done automatically, and then will allow you to have one large partition. No need to search for stuff, or re-install windows etc. Dead easy. The only problem is that you're in windows, so you cant do this to your boot partition.

However, on the seagate site, you can download a version if their disk software that boots from CD, so you can also do your boot disk that way.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

What I recommend... :search:

There is an ""active"" thread about a 160 GB drive not being recognised...

But, you must install XP with SP1(+) to get the entire drive...

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

just buy it already, X2's are ********ing awesome!!!!! :D

11. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Agreed X2's kick-ass big time, but don't buy Windows XP x64 as it sucks ass big-time.

12. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

you need the large drive enabeler each hard drive manufacturer has this. with maxtor it is called. "big_drive_enabler"

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've finally done so, but if you've followed Frozenfire you already knew that. They are indeed fun. XP-64 isn't even worth pirating right now, let alone the cost of the disk you burn it to. Sub-craptastic driver support and no performance improvements if you can get anything running.

Tags: