1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Stripped screw removal methods

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 18 Aug 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I dont know about anybody else, but this is probably the problem i face the most when modding or taking something apart, repairing, etc. STRIPPING LITTLE TINY SCREWS! its the most annoying thing that happens to me while modding. so when it happened to me a few minutes ago, i decided to post here to see what methods people have of removing stripped screws. im sure this thread could help a lot of people with this same problem, so if anyone can post their methods and tricks to get those damn stripped screws out, many people would be grateful, including me! thanks in advance! :thumb: :D :thumb:

2. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

I usually stick a flat head screw driver under the screw head- providing upward 'lift'.

Then i just turn the screw with another screw driver as normal.

Tends to work for me!

Yatesy

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

If the screw head is raised above the surrounding area, take a demel, and slice it across, not enough that it breaks. Then use a flathead to get it out.

4. Jerm

Jerm What's a Dremel?

got a few ideas :idea:

if the thing you're unscrewing is sturdy enough, take the correct size screwdriver and hit it into the screw head with a hammer (not too hard). This will cause the driver to dent the screw, making a place to grip.

another method, if you can get to the back of the screw, is to grip the end of the screw (non-head side) and start to twist it out. Sometimes screws just get stuck and after it's out a bit you'll be able to unscrew it even when its stripped. if not, you can continue to use the pliers to unscrew it from the head side

and then there's drilling a hole in the screw out with a bit thats small enough not to damage the hole threads. then you can stick something in there that will grip on the inside of the hole you made (pencil, awl, screwdriver, pen cartridge, dremel bit, needle-nosed pliers, etc)

a little lubricant and letting it sit also helps a bit, especially if the problem is rust.

if you dont really care about the thing you're unscrewing from, you can do 2 more things:
    you can screw the screw in more (if it's only stripped one way) in hopes of over-threading it and ruining the threads that are holding it in (works on plastic and thin metal), or you can just beat the hell out of it until something pops loose :thumb:

not getting frustrated easily also helps, but nobody i know has that problem :D

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

well, my current problem is inside my laptop, so i have to be very careful. i cant really dremel stuff, becuase then metal shavings will get into the laptop and short stuff when i turn it on. icant use a hammer becuase thatlbreak stuff, and i cant overturn it because thatl damage whatever its screwed into. ill try sticking a flathead under it to try and make it come out easier. maybe a little lubricant too, just to try and loosen it a bit.

6. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

put a drop of supergule in the head, the stick your screw driver in it. Let the glue dry, and then slowly turn the screw. No idea if this will work, but hell if you dont care about the screw driver then I say give it ago!

-CollinstheClown

7. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Personal tips for cammed out screws;

1: ALWAYS use the correct size screwdriver. Prevention is always easier then cure.
    2: WD40 owns you.
    3: Cut a new slot in the screwhead. (hacksaw/dremal)
    4: Tap it round by placing the screwdriver in at an angle and tapping round with a hammer
    5: Drill it out and tap a new hole.
    6: Try tightening it /slightly/. This helps free up the threads.

8. OmegaX

OmegaX What's a Dremel?

how come nobody mentioned the most obvious thing a screw extractor lol. you drill a hole then screw the extractor in clockwise then turn it counterclockwise to remove the screw ( it has left hand threads).

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I do one of the following on Small screws:

1) If I can, I'll make a new cut across the top and use a screwdriver as normal.
    2) If not, I will take an awl or similar very pointed object and tap from the underside of the screw, if it's stripped enough that it spins without pulling out
    3) As someone said above, WD-40 owns you.

10. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Not sure if they make screw extractors for the size screws in laptops. Although that is what I use on my vehicles that the screws are in so tight wd-40, won't work or have broken off heads. Same thing for bolts that have lost their heads. I only had to do it once, but my radio, I had a similar problem, I used JB-Weld, just a dab on the tip of a very cheap screwdriver I didn't mind throwing away. Held it in place with a couple of books while it cured, then viola', I then had a screwdriver witha permanent screw attached. In a laptop, I would be very carefull with either superglue or JB-Weld, as I am almost certain they will both ruin the pcb surrounding the screw, and I know JB-Weld if it dripped off, could bond the the screw even harder. If you have other screws in the surrounding area that are as difficult to remove, remember as stated above, use the correct shape/size screwdriver, and for the tough ones, tighten it first, jus so that the screw breaks free and moves, then try to loosen it.

11. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

I used this method for screws without screwdriver tracks to begin with.

I took a small drill and drilled 3 overlapping holes in a straight row across the head and used them to stick a small straight screwdriver in.

This method can be adapted for very small screws, all you need is a steady hand and a very small circuit board type drill. If you are worried about metal shavings, rig the laptop so that you are drilling from the underside, wear protective goggles.

As for getting rid of screws when you don't care about the thing you are removing them from, just drill them out.

12. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

If I don't need to use the hole again, I just drill them out (find a drill bit about the same size as the threads, and drill straight down until the head pops off). If I want to keep the screw, I use a dremel or a saw to cut a groove and use a flat head screwdriver to take them out.

I have heard of these screw removers and seen ads for them but I haven't seen any that look like they would work on really small screws and they are much more expensive then a few decent screwdrivers and a can of wd40 to prevent the problem in the first place.

13. kungfutastic

kungfutastic What's a Dremel?

getting at those tiny laptop screws

I used a 10a blade with scaple that you can get from art and design shops and cut a line/grove into the head/flattened end then used something a bit larger (i used a food knife, not too technical i know) but possibly could of used a small flat :clap::clap:head screw driver to get some leverage and twist it...the cutting took about 10-15 minutes.....i had tried everything so was overjoyed when it shifted..ah the small things in life!

14. tony007

tony007 What's a Dremel?

Just had the same problem with two of the three screws on my laptop keyboard being stripped used a drill bigger than the screw to be drilled and drilled them out the one screw and the bezal holds the keyboard down. Did use the hoover to hoover up bits of metal created when drilling. I did this to clean the cpu fan under the keyboard now working good.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I use a rod of nylon, heat the end with a lighter and before it cools press it firmly into the screw then wait for it to harden before using it to remove the screw.

If you've not got a nylon rod then a stripped down biro will work but as its hollow and will make it a little harder to form.

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

7 year old thread revival :)