1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Conroe to deliver great gaming performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 24 Aug 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

he would say it will be good for gaming. You can't imagain INtell coming out whith the following: "Omg AmDz N3w C\-\IP RoX0r\z !!¬!!111!!!"

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

what? :lol:
    if a single core amd is faster than a single core p4 how is a dual core p4 going to be faster than a dual core amd

4. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

well of course, if the intel spokesman says it will be better, then it must be :eyebrow:

O wait......... Let me think that through :thumb:

5. lepre

lepre Minimodder

until games won't be threaded dual core processors can sit down and wait..

6. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

It took AMD what? ten years to catch intel, and all they really caught was the high end gaming rigs... It will be a long time before AMD will relinquish its enthusiast crown... Like i read in another thread earlier. Intel should stick to laptops (were they rule all comers), and AMD should stick to desktops.

A key note here is that Intel also kinda has to change its tactics. AMD is dragging there feet on BTX and Intel NEEDS it if it planned on going any higher. Vs AMD could probably ride ATX for three or four more generations.

Long story short this guy works for marketing if THG said that Intel is gonna stomp AMD I would still have a hard time believing it. Coming from this guy it doesn't mean anything.

my $.02

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

You guys arent thinking at an architectural level. Conroe is a short pipeline, high efficiency per clock cycle architecture as everything thus far has indicated. The processors on a Conroe die can communicate with each other rapidly thanks to the links in the L1 and L2 cache, and looks to feature loads of cache; undoubtedly to help deal with the lack of bandwidth in the netburst bus.

A high ipc chip that runs at speeds of 2-3 Ghz with low heat output will undoubtedly make for a very good enthusiast chip; I would not be surprised to see a performance advantage of several percent per clock cycle over the Athlon 64; Intel may well be able to compete again in the high end segment again provided theres a significant performance improvement over the Athlon 64.

If Macro-Ops Fusion delivers, this will be a screaming chip that leaves the Athlon 64 in the dust. What wonders does AMD have in store for us in 2006-2007? Theyre going to have to be pretty good, as Conroe is nothing close to two Pentium 4s on one die-try two Pentium Ms with several architectural revisions and loads of steroids.

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I look forward to this...better innovation is good all ways around, no matter who the brand is.

What I don't get is the choice of wording and our humble choice of interpretation... "It will deliver an absolute value of performance greater than where we are today..."

Let's think of that. First, at best all I can translate that as is "The new chip will be better than our current, older chips." Duh. Let's hope so. But, if we look at his wording of 'absolute value' that means a distance from a point in ANY direction is inherently positive, because it is a change....so, if the new chip is -28% faster (read: 28% slower) than the old, then the absolute value is 28% greater than 0 (the starting point)....NOT the direction I'd want to see, but it would still prove his statement correct. The devil is in the details, my friends.

That being said, I don't honestly expect the chip to be slower and less efficient than current models, or I'd be scratching my head as to why they released the new chip. But, I do not translate this statement in the same, intel-affirming way that Wil does...

Caveat emptor, and I'll be waiting for the results when the chip is put through bindi's meticulous paces.

Tags: Add Tags