1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about a64 x2 4400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bandit_zoraK, 24 Aug 2005.

1. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Ok I have my comp up and running and it runs like a champ, but I am concerned about one thing. Looking at this screen shot, it looks like CPU-Z and MBM both are only registering one core of my processor, now is this just a software thing, or do I need to update my motherboard bios to get it to recognize the second core or something? I have DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR mobo. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

(sorry for large image size)

EDIT: Wrong tab on cpu-z

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You probably do need a BIOS update. It's possible also that you'll need to reinstall windows for the second core to work properly but that's not necessarily true.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Try opening task manager, and go to the Performance tab, if that's only showing one CPU (there'll be two graphs of CPU usage), then the rest of Windows is only seeing one core as well.

4. Bandit_zoraK

Yeah looks like there is a bios update dealing with some performance issues with dual core cpus. Can I flash the bios from a usb floppy drive?

Yeah it only sees the one. :rolleyes: Ok gonna flash once I go buy some disks.

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

You can flash from a USB floppy, as long as you can boot from it.

Did you re-install windows after adding the new CPU? You might wanna check its runinng multi APCI rather than single...

6. Bandit_zoraK

Yes this is a new build and a fresh copy of xp. Device manager says "ACPI Uniprocessor PC." That is incorrect I assume?

7. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Erm, need to double check but it think it should be showing multiprocessor. Looks like the mobo isnt recognising the second core on the cpu....

8. Bandit_zoraK

Follow up- I ended up just hooking up an internal floppy and using the diamond bios install thing on dfi's website; basically automated dos install via batch file. So windows, and everything else recognize it for what it is. Thanks for the help.