1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Speakers...simply can't decide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by otispunkmeyer, 27 Aug 2005.

1. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

right, my Z3's broke, but are getting replaced, but im feeling that they just werent good enough anyway...distortion at high volumes, highs arent too good as theres no tweeter, the sub is wierd pressure driver thing which is great for volume...not so great for accuracy.

a replacement set is on the way but i dont think im gonna open them, just sell them to some one

but i cant decide what to buy as a replacement, ive looked at klipsch, creative megaworks, altec lansing, everything and i just cant decide

looking at around the £100 mark, so if any of you have some suggestions for a good 2.1 system for games,movies and music (i a big music guy btw) ill be glad to consider them

2. RFID

RFID What's a Dremel?

3. otispunkmeyer

4. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

dont bother with pc speakers imo, do yourself a favour and get a good set of home cinema / music speakers, there is a big price difference, but the quality difference makes up for every penny :)

5. otispunkmeyer

meh screw it lol im so fed up of trying to decide

think ill jus go ahead and order a few nice things for my rig instead. few quieter fans, cable sleeving, a VF700 and some AS5

ill jus keep the Z-3's its not like im gonna be able to crank the volume too much anyway since ill be living in a terraced house at university, dont want complaints from the neighbourghs

6. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

BOSE is not good period.

7. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Why do you think BOSE isn't good? Let's backup our opinions for some really helpful advice.

I've always loved the sound of Logitech speakers, and I think they're worth every penny. I bought my Z-340s two years ago and still can't believe how nice they are! They don't hit high's like my Z-680s do, but they still sound very nice with some equalizer tweaking (although I'm not fond of equalizers =\).

I say go with anything of the Z-3 series (3, 3i or 3e), or if you can find them for 100, get the Z-2300s, which have more than twice the amount of power and they're THX certified (which don't mean a whole lot, but it gives you bragging rights :))

8. dom_

dom_ --->

backup? ok ask any hifi shop that doesnt sell bose. also the people who have taken bose stuff apart to find out how little technology and cost of parts is there.
    but most of all go listen to some bose. then you will know.

9. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

we used to sell bose
    its not a hifi or music playing system
    its a "loook at me, i have too much money to spend and wasted it on these crappy ickle speakers with a dodgy sub!" kind of lifestyle...i guess whatever floats your boat is right!

10. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Bose headphones are the worst sounding things on Earth and they aren’t cheap either, is this brand actually considered “good” somewhere? ....oh dear….

It's a shame VideoLogic (now Pure Digital) don't make speakers any more as my Sirocco's kick ass :waah:

11. RFID

RFID What's a Dremel?

For a computer system, bose is perfect - I agree for a full audio system that it isn't the best option - but for the money, and for a 2.1 system it is more than adequate.

If you want real quality for a system and money is no object as to clarify with Felix's opinion then people go for bang and olufsen for the look.

If someone wants real quality sound reproduction then LINN speakers are excellent as are B&W, but pardon my defensiveness you can't really attach them to a PC can you!
    Thus you might aswell go for the BOSE that look good and give equal sound reproduction to what is capable from coming from any speaker system on a PC - as it is most probably determined by the fidelity of the music source being played.

So Felix, go back to selling your 'mission' speakers and raving about the superb quality from say a sony sub. rather than trying to debunk a rather good option for a PC.

12. dom_

dom_ --->

what a load of rubbish.

i dont even know where to start with that statement

13. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

:clap: :clap: :clap:

lol, that is pretty ironic, as we used to tell people to piss off if they asked for sony!!!

of course its an option, but rather good i think not, as for the money spent on a bose 2.1 or bose whatever, you could buy yourself a set of bookshelf speakers, wiring and an amp...

14. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

How amusing...I guess my B&Ws hooked up to my PC must be an aberration then huh? ;)

As for Bose, when I was over in the states I heard a range of their systems up to three thousand dollars, and was not at all impressed with any of them given their price. At the low end they were truly awful for the money.

Now in the case of the original poster, £100 is quite a low budget to go for some proper hifi speakers (which are actually very usable with PCs, a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable into the amp and bobs your uncle, if you spend more you use a DAC though), probably too low really once you factor in the cost of an amplifier and cables as well, unless you're willing to have a go on ebay?

You should be able to pick up something like a second hand NAD 3020 amplifier cheaply (~£35, a real budget classic), then some second hand Mission, Kef (Cresta 2s or similar) or Tannoy bookshelf speakers for about £40, and I pretty much guarantee they will outperform anything for £100 from the usual suspects such as Creative or Logitech in terms of sound quality for music. Wouldn't be the worlds best hifi setup but I'd take £100 spent s/h on proper hifi over £100 spent on Bose's lowest end offerings :hehe:

15. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Well what I meant more by my statement, was to explain why bose is so horrible. Why they sound so bad and such. If this guy is anything like myself, I will try any piece of computer hardware once so I can have a hands on experience and give better advice to the best of my knowledge.

Say somethings good, why is it so good? Say something is bad, give a good reason to why he shouldn't experiment and gain personal experiance points for it.

16. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

BOSE is bad because their speaker designs and construction are poor, especially for the money. You cannot get fullrange sound out of those tiny cube speaker. It has also been shown that a $3000 BOSE system has no more than $100 in parts in it.

TBH anyone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to audio shuns BOSE and marketing their BS.

And as for that BOSE 2.1 setup, you could do waaaay better for $250 than that.

Hehe you have just kind of proven my point that proponents of BOSE don't know what they are talking about :naughty:

17. otispunkmeyer

bose isnt very good
    bose isnt very good 2

i think im jus gonna stick and go with HAXOR's suggestion of the Z-3's

my replacement pair should be here any day now, i think ill jus hang onto them till i get my year in industry next year, then ill be earning abit of serious money then i can treat my self to something worthy

theres simply too many systems around, THX doesnt mean a thing, and theres plenty of bad press about all the systems ive looked at, so ill jus stick for now, the Z-3's will do.

gonna buy a few things for my computer instead, give it a tidy up with cable sleeving and the like.

thaks for the help guys

18. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

Wise decision. I didn't buy the Z-680s until I had everything else upgraded that I wanted badly. Z-680s were actually my last computer purchase last year. I say THX is just for bragging rights, but that's only for those of the people who don't know anything about audio. I only know two people locally who know anything about audio. My older brother and a guy who used to work at CompUSA.

19. dom_

dom_ --->

i would still advise not to buy pc branded audio goods.

i think this quote (by a famouse hifi maker) sums up how i felt about the z-680 which i had the miss fortune of owning for a short period of time:
    "we live in a world where the man on the street is influenced by going to a disco hearing loud music with high sound pressurs levels. People feel this energy not knowing that it is garbage for the ears."

please get yourself a second hand amp and speakers. it will out perform any pc branded stuff, provided you buy half decent stuff.

20. HAXOR

HAXOR Minimodder

"garbage for the ears" all depends on what exactly you're listening to, trust me on that one. What exacly was your misfortune with th Z-680s? I've heard that the rear channels will crap out after time, but I believe that's due to over heating. The amp on the back of hte 680s gets VERY hot, which is why I added two 80mm low speed panaflos to shot down the cooling fins. It doesn't take much airflow to keep it cool. Even a box fan from 8 feet away will be fine.