1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics hooking a relay up to a parallel/serial port..

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Springs, 28 Aug 2005.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i was woundering if it is possible to hook up something like a small relay to the parallel or serial port and have a small program to turn it on and off.. i have something thats powered seperatly but i would like to be able to turn it on and off at will with out a manual switch..

2. pccompumam

pccompumam What's a Dremel?

yes it is possible, lookhere i use this program to controll my relays that i have hook up to tmy pc, and there are schematics in the program somewhere, i think it might be under settings or about, i forgot, i would check but im on my mac now.

3. Springs

Springs Boing boing

yer it does have a scematic for a relay.. ill give it a try when i can get to the shops to get some bits..

4. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Springs,
    I posted this reply for The Agent since he was looking for something similar:
    I posted a reply some time ago for a similar problem when someone wanted help to trigger a factory bell via the parallel port. This site should help:
    http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html
    See the simple circuit using the ULN2803 under the title Compact 8 Channel output driver. Subsitute the LEDs for relays.

There is a link for a program called Relais timer which controls the parallel port.
    Hope this helps.
    ARM