1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. gstlouis

gstlouis What's a Dremel?

You will need 3 if you are going that route. Just to let you know, you will have to do some modding to get it to fit. A better option would be to find a case that has either a door, or a large open area that you can cut into

2. smithm5

smithm5 What's a Dremel?

need help with NTSC settings on a radeon 7000. if you have the lcd working on this card....PLEASE post pics of the settings....

3. gstlouis

I've got the card, I'll post when I get back to my computer. You shouldn't need to manually put in the settings. As long as you've wired the thing right, when you go into power strip and load the 640x480i (arcade) settings, it should work alright.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That shouldn't happen. I've been playing a range of games (Eve Online, UT 2003, Darwinia, Quake (memories...), Startopia, whatever) and Samurize is unperturbed by it. What error are you getting?

The PS1 should be set at a default 60Hz.

5. smithm5

smithm5 What's a Dremel?

i made a thread about the radeon settings....search for my thread...has pics...

here are some pics of my install.....

some things i learned:

extend the screen to the LEFT of you main moniter regaurdless, and it wont change resolution or anyhting if you launch a game that changes resolutiuon of main monitor....

powerstrip will take forever to setup....

problems im still having :

if the screen saver starts, when i come back it shifts the image on the LCD about half an inch up, and cant figure out why....

whenever i boot i have to tweak powerstrip settings to get screen to be centered...if i increase one setting screen starts scrolling vertically, and then i have to click at the exact right time to make it stop in the center... (help?)

mike

6. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    Alrighty, getting a little ticked off since I still have yet to figure out how to use this screen.

Nexxo: How is your PSOne LCD and Dell LCD connected? I'm assuming Dell-DVI and PSOne-VGA. If so, how is it detecting the PSOne screen? Or do you have to do a swap each time?

I've seen the dummy VGA mods, but that doesnt work when I dont want to have to do a swap. I want to turn it on and have Windows find a) my Dell 2005FPW DVI and b) some unknown monitor on the VGA (just detect it!)

7. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

HI

I am interested in doing this mod, but need to know- how many 5 1/2" bays does it take up, if mounted in those bays??

Many Thanks
    Yatesy

8. gstlouis

It will take up about 2.5 bays. You will have to do some plastic work as well to fill in the gaps.

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It depends. The screen itselft fits exactly in two bays, if you include the frame it will fit in 3 bays. But if you leave the circuit board at the back of the screen it will take up 4 bays, only just though. You have the option of extending the LCD ribbon to the board, to move the circuit board elsewhere.

10. chronic9

chronic9 What's a Dremel?

where can i get a cable to hook up the screen to my PC via S-video? can someone link me to a online store or a retail outlet? thnx

11. Nexxo

I understand your frustration... However my 5" TFT (a "generic" screen, not a PS1 LCD) is connected by S-video. I may not get quite as sharp a picture (although tweaking the little pots on the back of the screen helps), but my PC recognises it on boot-up without any hassle and it doesn't act weird.

Pictures of the current setup below:
    [​IMG]
    Sharp enough for me. :cooldude:

Last edited: 5 Sep 2005
  12. chronic9

chronic9 What's a Dremel?

where did u get ur s-video cable for this screen? did you buy the 3.5mm to RCA converter somewhere?

13. user0001

Pots! :jawdrop: Actually, I was thinking about leaving the RCA/SVideo open for something else. Would use a PCI card, but with 2 slots on the DFI board, doesnt seem like a good idea (may run dual soundcards down the road unless X-Fi delivers). Also thought about using a USB video card, but am not sure if its always on. Bit pricey as well

14. Nexxo

Actually the required cable (with tulip plugs) and a din socket to tulip plug converter thingy came with the graphics card. But I'm sure the local video hardware/electronics shop can help you further.

15. user0001

Eh, I ended up buying an x300 PCI-Express card today for $23. Has VGA and S-Video. So I definately can hook it up now. Just have to wait for it to get here...

16. canucker

canucker What's a Dremel?

hello all.i am new to this forum.i joined specifically for all the info on the psone mods here.WOW,that was a lot of reading.i have`nt hacked up the psone yet.i have it hooked up using the s-vid connector.i have tried everything i can think of to get the screen activated in windows.everytime i try to set it within windows display properties-extend this monitor to desktop and hit apply it just goes back to being unchecked.the screen does power up properly etc.i did buy the screen used,and they said it has a 90 day warranty.
    would it be safe to test the display
    if i hooked the screen up to something with a s-video connector,like a vcr or something,to see if i can actually get a picture on the screen
    no sense me tearing this thing apart if i cant get it working within xp.
    thank you for any info in regards to this

17. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

Quick question and I am sure its dumb.

My video card has dual dvi and thats it. Will the vga mod for the ps1 work with this video card if I use a normal vga to dvi extension?

Thanks for answering anyone. :)

EDIT: Found the same question on page 1! :duh:

Last edited: 10 Sep 2005
  18. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

Hey guys quick question. I am doing the vga mod and I ran into something.

I cut open my vga cable and am going to use a toner to figure out what pin is what wire. But the one thing I need help on is that 3 of the wires have another wire inside of it. What are these? Are they the ground? If I end up toning and figuring out that one of these is the wires I need, what do I solder the outside wires, or the inside one?

Thanks for any help.

PICTURE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

im pretty sure you will need the inside wires, and the outside stuff is the earth for each one.
    but wait til someone can confirm before going on my word
    :)

20. gstlouis

Yes, each of those wires is the R,G, and B wires. The inside wires are the actual signal, and the outside wire is the ground.

Tags: Add Tags