1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. My 'Assassinated' List:

Old Socket A Mobo - Unsure of make and model
    Chaintech Zenith Socket A Mobo - T'was a lovely board :sigh:
    XFX GeForce 4 64mb - Needed a new card anyway!
    IBM DeathStar 40gb IDE HDD - I have a 300gb now so I don't mind

that's it for now, and hopefully forever!

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Luckily, the only thing I've ever killed has been an Inno3D GeForce4 MX440. That having been said, I think I might have done something bad to my motherboard. It forgets the BIOS settings when mains is turned off (yes, I have replaced the battery several times).

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

well lemme think... the first thing i broke was an old 486DX 100Mhz :rock: I broke pin 1 off :( luckly those things were built so for a while jsut to see if it worked I jammed a paper-clip between the pin and the socket and I ******** you not it worked! Probbaly because the pins were really spaced out on those old chips, suffice to say it wasnt very stable but it laste a week so I could buy a new one... cost me a whole £5 from the computer fair:D Aside from that I nuked my 9800XT and p4c800e-deluxe in one go! But I think that was just componant failure!

4. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

i blew up my old GeForceMX440 the other day

now im running some geforce 2 card at least it works

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

ive killed:

1. half a dozen old computers by sticking different hardware that clearly wasnt made for them.
    2. a very old ISA ATi card (stuck it in my P3 and all the cards diodes caught fire.)
    3. my radeon 9000 which was the best thing i had at the time.

6. quantum-modder

quantum-modder What's a Dremel?

killled my old windows 98 machine (celeron98) and my apple ibook

7. VincentVega

VincentVega What's a Dremel?

Hmm, let's see (this goes back a while):

1. Broke an Atari ST keyboard connector. Repaired with blu-tack.
    2. Broke a disc drive connector on a BBC Micro (really ancient home computer). Destroyed motherboard by attempting to de-solder old connector and replace with a new one.
    3. Broke my mum's work PC when wondering "what's this switch on the back of the PSU do?". Whoops.
    4. Blew up a Thunderbird 1.2Ghz.
    5. Managed to get a hard drive to let off smoke (quickly replaced).
    6. Ruined the front of a Lian Li PC70 case by repeatedly taking it on and off again.
    7. Broke RAM slot in an Acorn RISC PC. Hasn't been the same since.
    8. Broke a key off a keyboard. Had to glue it back on.
    9. Countless cables.

There are probably many more, but trying to remember 22 years of messing things up can be quite difficult.

Most of my destruction is due to me being somewhat clumsy. And trying to fix/"improve" things really isn't a good idea for some people (i.e. me).

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

lol i think we might be long lost brothers or something! thats the way ive broken everything in my entire life (except for this really cheap case that i sat on and bent the sides outwards)

9. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

well... as of today i have managed to kill 2 amd xp2100+'s, 2 motherboards and a powersupply...

I must be having a clumsy day

10. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

so....
    i destroyed 1 cd-rw/dvdrom ,and a cd-rw both by frying them and multiple fans. but thats just me.
    my bro broke 1 160GB hdd ,1 80GB hdd, 2 radion 9800 pro's 1 thermaltake 480W psu and all these somehow he mannaged to have replaced (except for the psu)

11. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

Well its just my day.

[​IMG]

Don’t get your yellow and red wires crossed while stealthing molex connectors.
    pc turned into a smoke machine for a few seconds, got a small flamer going as well.
    missed that action with the camera, maternal instincts just kicked in and I needed to save the rest of the hardware.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I am wanted for attempted murder of a Radeon 9800 Pro. I had put an Arctic Cooler on it and one day it was fine, next day, not even a bang, a puff of smoke, nothing. Just black screen.

Same thing (kinda) happened to a 120w mATX PSU, which was powering an AOpen s370, P3-933, 2 cd drives, 3 hdd's, couple of fans, 2 x 256 ram. Worked one day (had been for a few months), dead the next. It helped an upgrade though as a new ATX psu wouldn't fit in my mATX case, so I ended up with a new case, mobo and PSU!

Apart from those two, which weren't really my fault, I think I've been extremely lucky.

13. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

I've so far killed....

1. mATX motherboard (tiny oem one, parents pc)
    2. AMD xp2400
    3. AMD xp2000
    4. mATX powersupply 180w
    5. 350w powersupply (generic)
    6. Keyboard and mouse by spray painting black....
    7. P4 motherboard (ABIT IS7 I think)
    8. Mobile P4 1.8GHz

I think thats all, Ill add more as it happens

c.u.later

14. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I've not broken much, though I had a scare last week:

I went to install Medal of Honour - AA, put the CD in and let it spin. A few moments later I heard a loud bang, almost like a gun shot. I went around the house asking anyone if they knew what it was, but no luck. Returned to my PC to find the installation had frozen, and my PC had crashed. Turned it off, and heard a rattle from within...

Turns out the CD exploded within the drive, spent 30 minutes removing all the little pieces of shattered plastic, but luckily my DVD-RW drive still works :idea:

15. Jerm

Jerm What's a Dremel?

this is somewhat off-topic, but after reading lazlow's post i have to say it. Don't comment about me being dumb for doing this. I already know.

a CD fits very perfectly on the end of a dremel with the large sanding attachment. at college i would collect people's unused CD's and spin them on the dremel . . . they would fly off, down the hall, and shatter into a million pieces. Very fun, I'd get like a dozen or so guys out in the halls watching this, wed make ramps and try to hit people at the end of the hall (they really dont hurt at long range, i swear).

I was doing this one time (with eye protection, thank god) and one CD out of probably the hundred i'd done that day just blew up while the dremel was spinning up. I had a bruise on my leg, got a few pieces in my hair, and one chunk lodged itself in the ceiling about 25 feet from where I was.

scared me s***less, i havent done it since.

16. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

It's apparently a common occurence, CD's shattering. Guess they're from a crappy batch or something. I was amazed how many pieces a shattered CD can break into...

17. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

just bought the zalman vga cooler while trying to attach it to an FX 5200 (obviously not compatible) broke one of the retention metals ..... is not much but it was my first ever ... :waah:

18. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

I killed:

Asus p4b266-c mobo
    GeCube Ati Radeon 9550 Extreme Edition

that's it. :D

19. Sniper man

Sniper man What's a Dremel?

Well, the only thing I have ever fried was a 9600SE with stock heat sink I had it running WAY past XT speeds I think I got one stable 3dmark05 out of it. Almost a 2000! voltage mods > me
    Meh cheap piece of junk card anyways.

20. onarahosting

onarahosting What's a Dremel?

I thought I'd try to upgrade the hard drive in my iBook G4 myself. Seemed straightforward and there's heaps of well illustrated tutorials on the web about it.
    All went so well, everything exactly as described and all came apart and went back together without a hitch. That's why I was so surprised when it didn't boot up. Actually didn't so much as clear it's throat. Nothing.
    So I put the old hard drive back in and again nothing.
    Took it to an apple store and was prepared to pay for it but it was still under warranty so I played dumb and got it fixed. Fried Logic Board (motherboard).

They got me though as I took it into another apple store to get them to fit the hard drive and they charged me $200 and actually stuffed it up (software issue) which took me days to fix. :eyebrow: