1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help me name/design my emulator box!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by retrogamer, 31 Aug 2005.

1. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

Hello again modding community, Im building myself a 'cheap as chips' emulator pc, to run all my favourite classics such as SNES games, megadrive (genesis to some people) NES etc.

The specs:

P3 600MHz (nothing special)
    MSI mATX Motherboard s370
    512mb RAM (Probably, at LEAST 256mb though)
    2.1gb harddrive, soon to be 8gb
    Not yet sure on the graphics card, gonna keep an eye open on the MM as I need a card with TV out. I have 2 old gaphics cards, an MX400 PCI and an AGP TNT2 but both just VGA and I plan on hooking this up to a TV (CHEAP).

Gonna get a 25mm high HS+F, 60mm fan or soemthing but so long as it keeps it running im not bothered about noise/temps.
    Going to be using an old case for the metal/motehrboard tray. Going to buy AGP/PCI riser (depending on the graphics card) want to keep this as small as possible.

Was thinking a black Aluminium theme? Keeping it as a clean as possibe, with lit up logos on the front and back. Was thinking of going for a sonic theme, black with blue and white lighting.

The main box will look something like this:

[​IMG]

Where the bottom left grey bits are the floppy drive, moving along is the USB ports (all of these for transfering roms accross to it) and the grey on top is where I plant to put a case design, possibly printed from my computer on high quality photopaper, wedged imbetween two pieces of acrylic and lit up from behind.

What I need is, a name. Anyone suggest a cool name for my emu box? :D And anyone with design ideas for the front and top, please share them with me :)

Thanks,
    Retro

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

3. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

I like that idea :) Ill get working on some plans/ideas with sonic and mario on, could have blue and red lighting to set off the theme nicely too :thumb:

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Project Red and Blue ;) or Redro Blue :) **Just my brainends popping, nothing serious going wrong here ;)**

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

GEM (Generic Emulation Machine)?

Paint gloss black. Keep lighting to one colour and keep the whole thing minimalistic. The idea is to make it look like a box in which precious jewelry would be kept. Stick some sort of crystal style logo on top as an accent --nothing too garish though, something like a polished quartz disk or obsidian.

Go for a Pentium M microATX board if you can afford it. Spend some money on a low-profile passively cooled nVidea 6600: cheap, relatively powerful and best thing is, you can detach and reroute the secondary VGA port to drive a PS1 screen inside the box.