1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning plastic into metal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 3 Jun 2002.

1. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Ah I thought so thanks

Any chance of a pic of the alu type sheet , how close a match to an alu case is it ?

2. waltergronkite

waltergronkite What's a Dremel?

ive got to agree with gunman on this one, crome drive bays on a brushed aluminum case is abit rubbish!!!

3. macroman

macroman The One

Who has them?

4. waltergronkite

What crome drives on a aluminum case?

5. macroman

macroman The One

yes.

6. waltergronkite

well why else would u want to metalise drives, for aluminium cases, ive never seen a chrome case!!!

Chrome just looks tacky!!

7. macroman

macroman The One

As it says in the article, use the aluminium foil on ali cases. I just used the chrome for the article. The foil also comes on a whole range of metallic colours which may well suit certain cases.

The point is to give people ideas, you don't have to just use it on drives. ;)

8. waltergronkite

so u can get foil to mach a brushed aluminum case?

If so where? coz ive got a Lian li pc 7 and want to do something with the beige drives!!

9. jp82729

jp82729 What's a Dremel?

Try www.locustom.com

They have a brushed aluminum sticker sheet, but I haven't tried it myself.

10. thb

thb What's a Dremel?

cheers for the article macroman, I'm thinking of using this stuff in my car to make some brushed alu dials, I may also cover the face of my car radio to brushed alu too.

just gotta find a decent model shop now

thb

11. KypD

KypD What's a Dremel?

yeah, here i build R/C planes, and have used the stuff before on them, and i still never thought to use it on computers!

sometime i'm going to use a similar method, but instead of being metallic, this material looks almost exactly like carbon fiber.

but to apply it, you use an iron, and the heat sticks it to whatever material you're applying it to. the only downside is cost. it's $17 a roll. but i believe you get a 30"x 48" (or 56", i could be mistaken) roll, so for this purpose you'll get a lot of use out of it.

once i do it (but there's no way to tell how far into the future i'll do it) i'll take lots of pics! :dude:

very nice article, MM.

12. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

I have a slot loading DVD and a cdrw with funny flap down front that I couldn't stealth. I used aluminium tape from a DIY store on them and the blanking plates. It is proper aluminium foil so you can give it a brushed finish with a brillo pad or wire wool. 50mm by 10m was £5.

I wanted to do something with my beige case but knew that using the tape would be a disaster. Now that you have mentioned Solarfilm I feel a new case colour is imminent.:)

Cheers

13. silkshadow

silkshadow What's a Dremel?

Hi, great article and a great mod. I really want to do this on my Audigy breakout box. Its white/black but I have a Lian Li case so I need an aluminun faceplate. Anyway, I've been googling for the last 30 minutes looking for some aluminum Solartrim. I can find any and its driving me crazy. :wallbash: The other products you referenced (coverite, monoke) seem to need a heat applicator of some kind to work. It seems the Solartrim is the only self-adhesive avaible? Any ideas where I can either buy some aluminum Solartrim and get it shipped to the US in under 2 weeks? Or maybe another product that also a self adhesive? Thank you!

14. advance

advance What's a Dremel?

Thats a pretty sweet mod, Might be trying something similar on this POS case I got here! :thumb:

15. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

One of the best revivals to date i think :thumb:

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Holy freaking thread revival Batman! Never caught this one though, interesting.

17. silkshadow

Lol, your welcome for the revival ;). Though still really am looking for the aluminum version of this Solartrim stuff....

18. silkshadow

Found it. Anyone else looking for this stuff in aluminum, well, it doesn't come in aluminum! Thats what was tripping me up. :wallbash: The non-shinny metal tone is called silver.

19. silkshadow

Hey where'd this article go?

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

It will be ported over to the new database in time - there's a lot that we need to port, so please bear with us for the time being. :)

Tags: Add Tags