1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Peltier on Raditor??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barbz, 2 Sep 2005.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Urm as nexxo said what is that actually going too achieve.
    So let me put it in prospective you want him too get a fan and blow air over a pelt through the radiator right. Hm too make that affective your going too need a HUGE!! fan and about enough Pelts too freeze oxygon or something rediculas hehe.
    The only and most viable options are
    A - Socket - Coldplate - Pelt - Waterblock
    B - Chiller unit using a block \/\/\/\/\/\ with petls stuck on and waterblocks or heatsinks too cool it.

morgan.

2. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

tbh... why spend time, resources and money designing and making something that'll use 3 pelts a shed load of power and extra work to do something that one pelt on the cpu can good a lot better?

Time and less money is better spent researching how to pelt a cpu directly properly imo... all of this is futile, every one who has a pelt driven chiller is doing it for the kudos rather than the cooling potential as direct die cooling is not going to be beaten.

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

well actually using a chiller can be more efficant then using a pelt on your cpu because if you use a chiller its not just cooling the CPU die its super cooling the liquid which can be pumped through the GPU, NB and CPU. Chillers do have there advantages it just depends what you want too do or get out of your loop.

morgan.

4. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

thanks all, this is really interesting, i think i can safely scrap the idea of strapping a peltier to my radiator now.

I may experiment with a peltier cooling a block in the reservoir, or a chiller block between the rad and the cpu block, im not sure, well see, i may even test the both out... maybe even some data to back up this thread... maybe....

well see, in any event, thanks for the advice

If any1 else has any ideas about using pelts for cooling, let me know, thanks

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

AS Epoxy the hot side of an 80w too an Alpapal 8045 or 8060 and then rest your beer on the cold side and you have a beer cooler. Dunno what elseyou could use a pelt for :)

morgan.

6. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

sweet, was thinking about that, a little aluminum box, perfect size for cans, LAN box... kinda like this esky that we have it has a lid with a peltier mounted in it, and some fins on the side of the esky and a fan cooling the outside, its pretty cool, keeps stuff cold in the car

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

aye i got a mini fridge off my sister for free and all it is, is an 80w pelt with a heatsink and a 120mm fan lol :) classic.

morgan.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i love that idea of putting a pelt on wat looked likr a swiftech block, tight for room for myself but i think i could get it work! why dont you just bolt a few pelts to ur resisvoir, and feed the water res,block,block,block,rad,pump. coz the rad would bring it down to room temp, and the res would super chile!

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Swiftech does sell a double block with a pelt "sandwiched" inbetween for a sort of indirect cooling setup. The pelt on a reservoir has been done. However condensation is always an issue.

10. crazy_bob_uk

crazy_bob_uk What's a Dremel?

I'm sure i read somewhere that the more powerfull a pelt is the less efficent it is, so doing somthing like this you could use a larger number of smaller (more efficent) pelts. Aslo why cant you use the water that come out of the waterblock to cool the hot side of the pelt.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Welcome to the forums, Crazy Bob! :clap:

Now, about your pelt question. I'm not sure that several smaller pelts would be more efficient than one bigger one, although with a res you do have more surface area to play with, than with a block.

About feeding the pelt with its own chilled water: won't work. Think about it. A pelt is nothing more than a heat pump. Moves heat from one side, to the other. Of course that takes quite a bit of juice, and that energy generates heat too. So it has to move that to the hot side as well. So even if all the water it manages to chill (a far from 100% efficient process, by the way) could be dedicated to cooling the pelt, still more heat would be entering the system than would be removed. It is not as if the hot and cold side cancel each other out; the hot side is many degrees warmer than the cold side is cooler, so to speak. It simply couldn't cool itself.

Now on top of that comes the heat of the CPU --again, that has to be taken to the other side. The picture that thus emerges is that the hot side is much, much hotter than the cold side is cold, so to speak. Think about 100 Watts or more.

If a pelt could cool itself and the CPU we'd be in watercooling heaven. But what you'd be suggesting is a perpetuum mobile of sorts. In our closed universe with a finite ammount of energy, the laws of thermodynamics tend to frown on cheating like that.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2005
Tags: