1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project.:. MythTV Box>>Updated September 13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sum41, 3 Sep 2005.

1. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

This will be my one of my first pcs that im going to be modding.Just to let you know I'm 14 so don't expect a Insane Mod like one of defyants HPRES's. Its a Dimension L800CXE , that i just got for FREE. Its 800mhz and 256MB of ram...Thats all thats important. I will be turning it into a MythTV Box.

Ill be ordering a Haupaugge PVR-150, a 160GB Western Digital Hard Drive, a GeForce MX4000 64mb PCI(for svideo out), and a NEC DVD burner. I cant order stuff till probably Friday of this coming week. Takes some time for money to transfer and what not.

If anyone knows how I can remove other side of case. The one side just comes right off.

Great Possiblities :rock:
    [​IMG]

How It stacks up next to tv
    [​IMG]

And To start it all off :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Sep 2005
  2. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

I doubt that a 800mhz celeron will be able to handle dvds and such, but it might work! Cant wait to see what youre planning

3. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

Minimum Requirements

ANd i have a 800mhz so it'll be close lol.. I think i might have to get the pvr 250...

4. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

Ive spent the last hour or so cleaning case insides.... Trying to figure out how to move hdd to top by CD..but i dont have clips and what not..so its gonna have to stay mounted on the bottom front vertically

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I don't think the other side is removable. I have one and there aren't the indentations for the hinge on the bottom of the case on that side. I pushed in all the tabs I could find and pulled with no success.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If that's like other dell cases I've worked with, push on the side of that green tab thing near the front and you can get the other side off somehow. I don't remember exactly how but I'm fairly sure it's possible. Maybe I'm thinking of the front though, dunno.

Anyways, should be interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

7. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

I know the green tab in the if u push in middle the front comes off...Yeah i took out floppy and dial up modem...I really like the insides of dells..very easy to move stuff in and out..everything just clips in..

I love the power button on it..I think im gonna replace LED with a blue one...As of now..its going to be black...with some decals if i can get someone who has graphics at my school to make em..Prolly saying " MythTV" IN silver or blue as well

I Was originally thinking of putting mesh in front some how...But then it would be alot louder..considering the hard drive is right in front....

I lost my bondo hardner so :( ...... Maybe Ill be able to go to "automotive" store and pick up some bondo hardner.. The other part goes a long ways ...i have more than enough to fill dell logo holes and what empty floppy slot...

Hopefully there will be some big major stuff started tommorow

8. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

Project.:. Mythtv box >>Updated September 4

So I say to my dad have you seen the bondo hardner anywhere..And he goes "yeah, i saw it the other day"..So i go looking in the garage and there it is in a plastic bag WOOT!
    [​IMG]

So I just had to do the first bondo layer :) Yes it doesnt look great ..I mixed up to much bondo and it hardend before i could apply it al !!

[​IMG]

But after a good hour or so of sanding its pretty good...Theres prolly a deep spot left on each bondo area..So its nothing to hard to do now...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Sep 2005
  9. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

THis definatly doesnt work!! broke one of em...

Last edited: 4 Sep 2005
  10. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

Dude, resize and repost your pics pls..

11. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

uuumm what were you trying to do with that CCFL and heatgun, bend it ??? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

12. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

Yes bend it....

13. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

FIXED PICS...Sorry about that.forgot about 56k's ..

14. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

whats the bending of the cathode for?

15. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

The bending doesnt work..I was gonna make it a U shape and put it behind front piece..so it glows..but it doesnt bend very well..

I got the other side of the case off ! :D

16. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

The inside tube is glass so you'd have to heat the acrylic to melting point before the glass would be hot enoguh to bend. You'd also have to fill the glass tube in the middle with sand so it retained it's shape. I think it's very close to impossible

17. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

why not just grab some of that ccfl wire, may not emit as much light but will save u breaking countless cathodes.

18. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

Yeah i think im just gonna get like those things that are an array of leds..like 4 or w/e... Or find some bright leds that arnt 4 dollars a piece...Im getting an electric sander and some better sand paper tommorow ...so the bondo work will be done tommorow... Then hopefully tuesday or wednesday ill get some primer and paint :) And order stuff for computer...

Offical parts list

NEC DVD Burner
    160 GB Western Digtal HDD
    Hauppauge pvr-250
    Volari V3 Video Card w/ svideo out and a bunch of other features that take strain off cpu

19. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

It IS possible to bend the CCFL's... but quite hard.

You'll need to get CCFL tubes that are just glass with no outer plastic casing... or take apart ones that do have the outer plastic casing.

You'll need a propane torch or similar to heat and actually bend the glass tube... this is quite hard to do without kinking the glass.

Bending the acrylic tube is easier - fill it with sand so it doesn't kink. Reassembling the glass inside the plastic tube might be hard though.

20. sum41

sum41 What's a Dremel?

Yeah..Im just gonna order a 4inch ccfl and some led's...I want this case to look nice and clean...Its labor day in the US so most stores are closed...or else id buy some paint...