1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: Moondust :: Update 16/09/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Leeum, 1 Feb 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

:hehe: Exactly what I thought when I switched the pump on. "There's no soap powder in there...why does it look like a washing machine?" :lol:

2. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Thet looks nice m8 :thumb:
    Sweet paintjob and tribal windows!!!

3. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

how did you score all of those sponsorships?

4. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Ask nicely, outline your plans and assure them you'll give credit where due :thumb:

Cheers for the kind comments.

5. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: Well that paint job is one of the best I have seen! The perspex goes great with the panels imo. I actually think that the name Moondust is cool and suits your project well. Can't wait to see the bigger panels all fitted with perspex and the whole thing lit up :lol:

Good work, you have persuaded me to do something with my chieftec dragon- when i can be bothered :thumb:

6. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Be sure to post a log...chieftec all the way :thumb:

7. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Here’s an update with the side panel. Just like the top panel, the Perspex needed a few bits here and there cut out to accommodate various parts of the case chassis. The main part that needed cutting was a section for the case handle and lock.

As you can probably see, when I was drilling the top bolt hole I went too fast and cracked the Perspex :duh: Let's hope I get away with it.

[​IMG]

It was then a case of getting it screwed to the panel with the and hoping the crack didn’t interfere with any of the cuts. The case handle is abscent from the following pictures as it's going to be taken to the painters with the front bezel.

[​IMG]

Lucky? That’s more than lucky :D

[​IMG]

A shot from the front.

[​IMG]

A shot with the panel against the wall.

[​IMG]

What happened next was more of pleasant surprise than anything else, it seems the Perspex is UV reactive which creates a funky hazy blue effect. Here’s a shot next to the running rig :D

That’s all for now, I’m hoping to get the front bezel to the painters this week.

Stay tuned :dremel: :hip:

8. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

seeexxxyyyyyyy

9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Here's a few updated pictures of the loop :D

I flushed the system out and replaced with some fresh water. I also added a little Coolercases Dark Blue dye which is a much better colour match than the blue revealing. Another plus is that the water is blue without UV light aswell :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's also running without a sponge. When filling the system I made sure to get the res full and left it to bleed motherboard side down and...bingo, no more nasty froth :D

10. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

awesome - keep it up dude!

11. koola

koola Minimodder

Agreeeed, awesome Leeum :thumb:

12. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the feedback :thumb:

13. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

now that is suweet!

14. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

Nice cuts - i esp. like the top

15. Pistol

Pistol Guest

Oooo very clean. Better handle that case with white gloves...sheesh.

By the way, how much did that end up costing for the painting, and was it an auto body place or simply a guy that paints things?

16. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

It's basically a garage and he did the panels for £40, I couldn't grumble at all as he made an amazing job. I daresay the front bezel which is going to him next week will come out the same :hip:

Thanks guys :D

17. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

just had another quick skim thro the post - very nice work - any gl;ory shots of the front bezel in progress dude? any advice you need throw me an msn :D

18. Pistol

Pistol Guest

40 is not bad at all for that quality. I'm gonna have to google around old-school style to find prices like that...wow.

19. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Will do mate :thumb: I'm half way through sanding the bezel, I'll have some pictures very soon. :)

If you know of a local garage who take on small jobs, it may pay you to have a word with the painter on his lunch break to see what he can do for you ;)

20. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

My next was to get the front bezel ready for painting. It was outside to my usual sanding spot to get this done ;)

[​IMG]

This time I used a sanding block and 220 grit paper as the bezel is ABS plastic.

[​IMG]

I also sanded the fan controller, the bay covers and the case handle.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the compassion between the sanded front door and splatter finish bezel.

As I ran out of sandpaper to finish the rest of the bezel and case feet, I got a few bits and bobs done that I’d normally leave to the end :)

[​IMG]

Take the standard Chieftec front panel LEDs…

[​IMG]

With a little bit of swapping we now have a blue power LED and white HDD LED :D

[​IMG]

Here’s the Bulgin blue ring LED switch I picked up a while ago. The only problem was the LED’s inside had been fried by using the wrong resistor. I could either use the switch as it was or attempt to fix it… I’m sure you can guess the route I took ;)

[​IMG]

By sawing the blue plastic section off the back and removing the internals, this is what I was left with. The centre section moves up when the button is pressed, this means I can glue another switch inside which it will press.

I then decided to experiment with a few LED’s. The choice is between…

[​IMG]

Blue

[​IMG]

White

[​IMG]

Or both? This picture didn’t come out very good, it is actually half blue and white which personally looks pretty funky.

Let me know what you think. I’ll have an update very soon as the painter is back off his holidays this week ;)

Stay tuned :dremel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.