1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The M1695 From ULi - Motherboard Supports Both PCI-E or AGP or Both

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikeuk2004, 14 Aug 2005.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Just seen this on Toms Hardware.

Link to Article Click Here!!

This is the sort of thing Id be interested in in bridging the gap upgrading from AGP to PCI-E

You can even plug in a AGP VGA card and a PCI-E at the same time and set in the bios which is Priority and then plug up to 4 moniters, 2 on the PCI-E and 2 on the AGP.

This was the way you could have dual moniters years ago. Use 2 PCI cards and can then have Dual Moniters. Seems the same with this with latest tech but with 4 moniters :)

I might buy one when going to upgrade to PCI-E. Upgrade Board then when got cash upgrade VGA to PCI-E :)

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Interesting concept to say the least.

3. mikeuk2004

IT will be very usful for those going to PCI-E but cant afford a motherboard and VGA at the same time and will be able to use there existing AGP card until ready to upgrade that.

4. dadofsam

dadofsam What's a Dremel?

also saw a gfx card soon to be out which is both AGP and PCIe both are good bridge upgrades

5. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

albatron already have a 6200 one out :p

6. TMM

TMM Modder

I can't see how this is any different to AGP boards :confused: AGP card = 2 monitors and additional PCI card = 2 more monitors?

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

So instead of buying a cheap PCIE card, get a more expensive motherboard with really flaky AGP support. Good plan. And by good, I mean idiotic. If you can't upgrade all at once, just wait till you can.

8. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I cant imagine it'd any more expensive than an nvidia based board, and from the benchmarks the AGP looks anything but 'flaky'

9. mikeuk2004

I was trying to say that years ago for Dual moniters you would have to use 2 PCI cards. Than came the AGP cards which support 2 moniters on its own or 3 moniters if used with a PCI card. But now with this motherboard you can use a AGP card and a PCI-E and have 4 moniters using the latest tech. Point being using the latest tech ie. PCI-E with the old AGP to have 4 displays.

Or you could just go out and buy one of those Quadro cards that support 4 moniters anyway but cost a hell of a load more cash :)

Last edited: 16 Aug 2005
  10. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm What's a Dremel?

The AGP support is far from flaky. There is now a retail board out in the Asrock 939Dual SATA2. Check this Anandtech article for details :

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524&p=1

This board seems to answer all my prayers as I have an AGP X800XT PE which I do not want to replace just yet, but need future PCIE support.

11. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

whoa!
    anyone lese think its weird that theres a 'future' cpu slot on that asrock?
    surely they arent going back to slot format for the m2's/