1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more startup problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squeck, 9 Sep 2005.

1. squeck

squeck Lurker

just been away for a few days (spanish booze cruise :D ) and when i got back tonight my pc wont post. :waah:

when i press the power button, nothing happens at all, no fans turn on, hdd doesn't spin etc.

i've unplugged everything and my power supply does work (my wc switches on when i put the filling jumper on the atx power lead).

and i do have a green light on my MB when i plug the atx cable in. but still no bios :(

any nice people out there have any ideas when could be wrong?

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Fans don't turn on, but the PSU works, well, its your PSU. Because if your fan is conencted straight to the PSU, but doesn't turn on, its your PSU that's bust!

3. squeck

squeck Lurker

the fans are connected to the MB but the PSU seems to work fine when just connected to WC stuff :(

when the atx cable has the bridge connector on the psu powers up, the fans inside teh psu turn on, and the pump (connected to 12v molex) turns on too.

but when the atx cable is connected to the MB although the green light is on nothing happens when i try to boot

definately the psu? (will test in another pc now)

EDIT: just tested in a pretty old pc (atx not eatx) and no joy, presumably one of the rails has blown? I've got the Antec True550P

Last edited: 9 Sep 2005
  4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like it's deffo the PSU then. Not good tbh. Try shorting the green wire to ground and going round the ATX plug with a multimeter to find the b0rked one.

5. squeck

squeck Lurker

grrrr, ok thanks guys. testing will have to wait till sunday. :waah:

anyone know what the turnaround time from antec is? as i understand the warranty i go direct with them after 60 days from purchase?

hopefully i won't have to go through overclockers.co.uk otherwise i'll be waiting a few weeks :grr:

6. squeck

squeck Lurker

well the psu isn't faulty - swapped out with a Hiper 580W Type-R Modular psu and it still won't turn on at all. :wallbash:

it turns out that my pc wouldn't shut down so my brother turned it off at the wall - then dead.

some help would be great so to recap:

PC won't turn on at all
    PSU is fine (will power WC loop with atx bridge plug)
    MB green led is on
    Have shorted the two power switch pins together - nothing

anyone got any ideas? is it the MB?

7. MrWillyWonka

I'm thinking the mobo too. But I am confused with the fact that nothing else turns on. Try pressing the button for the CD tray and see if the tray comes out.

If it does, it is likely to be the mobo.

8. squeck

squeck Lurker

no cd tray won't come out it isn't getting any power - the power supply doesn't seem to be getting a power on signal (but i'm still using the new one)

9. MrWillyWonka

So you say that the PSU works, but the CD drive won't come out? That doesn't make sense, unless you've tried the PSU elsewhere and it works. Perhaps its your mains that have gone. Or the fuse?

10. squeck

squeck Lurker

the psu will power the wc loop and the the cd tray does come out when i use the atx bridge to fill my WC loop,

[​IMG]

but when the atx plug is plugged into the MB the psu won't turn on and nothing gets power :grr:

11. MrWillyWonka

You've made the picture clearer! :)

So its the motherboard then. Check that the ATX connector is plugged in properly and isn't damaged.

If not, the mobo has somehow been damaged.

12. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Try uninstalling the mobo and have a good look at all the chips and stuff and see if any thing has blown or melted. If so its RMA time.

-Frank

13. squeck

squeck Lurker

thanks alot guys :) at least now i know whats wrong. how rare is it for teh MB to blow when the power gets switched off?

will have to have a look and RMA when i get some time, working all week now :sigh:

does anyone know if the asus warranty is void if i've removed the northbridge heatsink to WC it? (it is detatchable and i'll put it back on before RMA)

looks like i'm gonna be a while without a main pc :grr: