1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors bought a possibly dodgy car

Discussion in 'General' started by silentriver, 9 Sep 2005.

1. silentriver

silentriver What's a Dremel?

ok went to look at this banger same age as other car - old banger but to get from a to b.

the guy said he had done 14 hours on the engine, which u can c there has been work done, we took it out for test drive, there were no brakes. he kept going on about servo brakes and that they just needed bled. he was going away that night so he couldnt do it. He also said that he had put new brakes on it, didn't secify what parts for the mot. Which it had just passed.

We decided to take it, when we started the paper work he said he was a trader, although this wasn't specified in the advert - though that was online. adtrader. He showed us his card and said that if there was a problem with the car MOT related we could call him up about it. - he also said he had 2 rotwielers (sp) that would kill us, in the garden....

He said he was a mechanic, and there had been work done, but the car had been sitting for a while so a bit stiff and rusty at parts. The engine did sound good. So we took it home, in torrential rain, well dodgy. finally got it into the garage and the guy said the brakes hadnt been touched in year, so if he lied about that what else. Would the brakes not have had to be working for it to pass the MOT? It was a cheap banger so i can't see him helping with the cost of the brakes. Plus im still waiting for the log book, i have the new owners slip but thats it.

would the brakes have to be good for the mot - does that mean he got a dodgy mot??
    have i been done....

2. Slink

Slink B7

Sounds like you bought a banger, but you knew that before you posted, get it booked in for a "Pre-mot"
    Basicly some mechanic will run over it with a fine tooth comb and tell you what needs to be done idealy for an mot, I wouldnt bother driving it incase it falls aprt on you, or you get pulled and the police find a dead body in the back

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well said Slink - get it in a garage until someone's cleared it so it won't fall to s**t when you get on the motorway or something.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

How much did you pay for it. And of course its dodgy, the brakes don't work!

And the brakes MUST be working for it to pass the MOT, if the brakes doesn't work, how did it get to the MOT place in the first place, its near impossible to drive somewhere without using the brakes! Chances are the car hasn't gone through an MOT!

5. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

trading standards should be involved as this sounds well dodgy, and if he really has a traders licence then maybe they will revoke it.

6. silentriver

it has an mot, the guy was a trader.
    drove it to work, found another problem with it, it seems to register that i am going faster than im actually going.

it was £350 - so a banger yes, its old - but for him to lie about the brakes which cost £130 annoys me.

So at the momnet it is working - touch wood, but if he lied about the brakes im sure he lied about other things aswell. Just need to sort out the speedo, without spending money.......

7. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Be careful, don't crash and die...

There are laws to protect us against people like the guy who sold you that car... but it won't be worth pursuing it, unless it's your parents trying to get some money back for you injury/ death.

Make sure you get this vehicle checked before you drive it further. Most garages will do a pre-MOT check for free and advise you of any work required.

Brakes could be weak if there is rust on the disks... Often if it has been standing.
    How can you determine if the speedo is out? GPS is a good check. Often read up to 10% over... Never under.

8. silentriver

i think im most annoyed because he knew i was buying it to drive, and he was a trader. He said he had someone earlier who just wanted the engine (might have been another lie). He should have sold it to him if that was the case. He kept saying the brakes were fine just needed bled, cuase he had put new brakes on for the mot.

Im anoyed at the gargage for giving the car an mot when it had no brakes.

We asked the garage to have a wee look at it when it was in for the brakes, he said it looked ok, but that we wouldn't know until something goes wrong with it.

i will from now on only buy a car with full service history.

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

You said it has an mot (I assume this is similar to our "Road Worthy Certificate"?). Surely there are laws that if someone does a dodgy certification, if you report them they can lose their license. We certainly have that here and I would have thought that that would have been standard anywhere.

Safety inspection + dodgy practices = death to someone :nono: Not good in anyone's books.

10. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

You have been sold a deathtrap. No brakes and a dodgy speedo? I'd not be su7rprised if it was 2 cars welded together very badly. Mate, get the police involved,, take it back and get your money back, the guy has ripped you off and its not worth dying over.

There are "ways" of getting ANY vehicle an MOT. Usually "20" ways will be enough, its not hard. Take my advice. "Unfit for purpose". And seriously, get the police involved quick, before he really does set those dogs on you.

11. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Agreed. Deffo get the police onto this guy to stop him doing this to other ppl who might end up dead or injured.

12. silentriver

The scary thing is the guy is a trader, which i didnt know about before i wen to c the car. Latest update, tried to take the back wheel off to investigate the wobbling. Couldnt get it off, looks like it is rusted on.

Plus my sister informaed me last night that she opened the passenger door with an old vauxhall key, ie no the right one.....

i know, i know... what have i done...

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Bought something that should be in a scrapyard.

14. silentriver

ur probably right, that guy probably picked it up from one....

15. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

stop messing about with this car and get trading standards involved, i assume you have a reciept for this purchase or can prove you bought it from this guy????

16. Hammy

Hammy What's a Dremel?

did you keep his personal details name addy ect ?
    get onto trade and standards asap

17. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

speedo is not part of a mot , solongs the milage is present , its a pass . as for the brakes well that is just common sence , a mot certificate IS only telling you that the car AT THE TIME of inspection was ok , it will not say that the car will remain road worthy for 12 months , but plz for gods sake get it checked by a proper garage asap ....

what car is it ?

18. silentriver

It is an Astra 1.7td with isuzu engine
    we had to take it to the garage to get the brakes fixed - cost £130, asked the guy at the garage to have a look at it. he said it was ok, but u'll be spending money cause its an old car.

unfortunatly the garage gave us an added problem, trying to get the back right tyre off, which he failed to do and only said when we asked about it regarding the brakes. He must have damaged the wheel - so it wobbled. We could not get the wheel off the car, that is how it came that it was wobbling. Unfortuatly he didn;t tell us and i drove to work shaking.

5 days later we managed to get it off and put a different wheel on, seems to be ok just now.

just got to sort out the speedo, i think the engine is getting quite hot and the having to unlock the passenger then lock the drivers door routine and i'll b sorted. As long as i get from A - B, ill be happy.

but yes i am annoyed because it must have got a dodgy MOT, because there were no brakes.... - his - they are servo brake - just need bled - is just absolute mince, unfortunantly we didnt know that at that time.

i dont have a recipet - but he does, and my address.

arghhh

19. silentriver

getting worse - major problems with the car, that could injure me big long list from the garage, so im going to contact some one just dont knwo who... now got to figure out what to do with the car either pay £450 to fix or give up.......

20. silentriver

Couldn't get in contact with the trader how funny.
    Contacted the place where it got its MOT - no record of the MOT on their system - how funny....

They said bring it up - my boyfriend took it to them - oh yea - must have missed it. My boyfriend got some growls from the guys working there.

So at the moment they have the car are should be - hopefully fixing the cross member........ -

the saga continues....

Tags: