1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 5.25" bay drawer *NEW* How to make it

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrWillyWonka, 28 Jul 2004.

1. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

i have two... yes two ways i thought of ejection. if you want it to come out kinda fast... have one of those spring coils and small cogs.(toothed wheels for the ignorant ones) and a rail on the top to hold the cogs to the existing (atleast on my cd-rom) toothed rail. that would probably shoot your stuff everywhere unless you put a sheet metal top that lifts up. maybe a lock on the sheet metal? well on to my next idea. stealthed front. loosen the screws holding it in the bay and slide the cd-rom back. epoxy one of your matching drive bay covers on two small hinges on the front. might need a little spacing due to the rest of the plan. and make the drawer a little thinner so you can still have the motors. put a littke pin on the drive bay cover where the button is so you push the drive bay cover and it pushes the button and opens it... i have to think the second one out more. maybe add a hidden switch for the molex plug or maybe a key switch on the side of the case so you cant open it and its stealthed... just a thought. ill attempt #2 tomorrow since its a saturday and no school. ill post after i finish

-Fry

2. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

sounds like fun, i have time tomorrow and 3 spare bays. so why not. hmmm wonder what i have to open and close it... hmmm retractable phone cord... that has a spring. *little light bulb* i have an idea now, tomorrow i shall begin the implementation phase!

3. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Golly gohs, that is a wicked idea.
    Can't wait to see all these drawers finished :D!

I might give it a go myself someday!

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Glad everyone likes my idea :D :D :D , Everyone should post pics of their drawers here and I want a motorised drawer, but havent the foggiest on how to make one. :confused:

5. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

They actually make cd storage drawers, you can get them from CPC

6. MrWillyWonka

oh yea, bin looking for these, but gave up, I rather have my own though, I can put pens and stuff in them, the one in at CPC has these rack thingys.

7. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

yea they make premoded cases too. but what fun is that.

8. MrWillyWonka

I know this is an old thread, but mods, please do not close it!

I would like to see anyone who had made this mod to post photos of what they have made, and if anyone has made a unique version of it, such as a remote controlled drawer or motorised, please post piccys!

Thanks!

9. MrWillyWonka

Finally made the draw...

See page 2 (or 4 if you use the short pages) for the pics and movie!

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Actually I were about to do one to my current case... My case is huge servercase so I were about to do like 20x20x30cm box where I could fit headphones and wireless mouse at lanparty :)

However I messed up first try and had no time for other, so I had to forget it :(

11. trvr

trvr What's a Dremel?

12. X_VADER_X

X_VADER_X What's a Dremel?

I guess a drawer would be useful for the 2 empty bays on the PC I am trying to get..

13. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

How about one you can control by text message for the uber-lazy? Hows about making one from old pcbs?