1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Finishing off my water system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iced98lx, 17 Sep 2005.

1. iced98lx

iced98lx Banned

Well after lurkering on Bit-tech for ages (ha, ha) I've finally ordered my first modern day watercooling system. (I had a dual P2 water cooled- the radiator was a waterfall and bigass cermaic bowl for a res)

anyway, I ordered the Cool System from Corsair, mostly because it met a few of my demands:
    Clip-type connector- My KT600 based MSI board doesn't have holes for mounting
    Pump- It included the swiftech mcp350 pump- I've heard rave reviews about the later revisions of this pump (no smacking ot get going ;)) and if you do the top barb mod it can push a lot of water
    radiator mounting: I can mount the radiator/fan on an 80mm hole, important to me as I"m not ready to chop up my yellow wavemaster quite yet.
    Performace: I know some people have commented on performance of this system, but it's going on a notoriously hot XP3200+, I read a review in which they operated it without a fan and the CPU idled at 40- that's what I'm getting now with a TT Silent boost and all the case fans (IE: LOUD)

Now that I've given you my system stuff, I have a few questions (and yes, I've used the search)
    KT600- I've been told and read that it should be fine with the rather large passive heat sink currently on it- any comments on this?
    GFX:
    I have a FX5200 (hey, I only play warcraft and starcraft ;)) with a passive heatsink on it- currently i have a 40 mm fan on a bent zalman bracket expelling some air over it (Dropped my CPU temps 4 degrees across the board!) I wasn't prepared to drop another $50 on the system upfront, should I be worried about the 5200 or will it be fine passive?

to add, I'm contemplating running one of the front 80mm's at a silent speed, along with the rear, to keep some airflow for the gfx- suggestions?

Any place imparticular anyone has for mounting a 120 mm rad in a wavemaster? I wanted to go with a 80x2 BIX (the front of this case is made for it!) But between the noise of the 80 mm fans and the lack of cooling from the small-ish radiator I'm afriad it will quickly defeat the purpose.

Please note, for your information, that this watercooling system is designed to simply quiet my PC, I'm not overclocking (2.224 ghz does all I need it to) nor intend to, but do run CPU intensive games often for 5-6 hours at a time. (wee lan parties!)

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom on my issues!

Christopher

2. iced98lx

iced98lx Banned

welllll.... I guess replies are hard to come by unless you put "NUB" or "NOOOB" in the subject.. figures!

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Or maybe it's a saturday and people are busy?

4. iced98lx

iced98lx Banned

Thanks for forcing me to add even more useless junk to this post, instead of constructive discussion. Now this is where you post "Hey I have xxxx more posts than you and therefore I'm obviously twice as smart as you, so don't make comments like that"

Again, I apologize for trying to discuss this return to replying to your normal "omg, what order should i put my loop in?!" posts and keep rackin the posts up!! :rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chris

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Welcome to the Forums.
    Like -H- said, it is Saturday night, so please be patient! :)

Anyway...,
    Kt600 and 5200 should be fine passive, but some airflow is always good.
    80mm fan wise, the Coolermaster ones are good, so are SilenX, Noisekiller and Panaflo.

Rad wise, 1x120 is SO much better than 2x80, but if your not into cutting it up, then I guess your stuck. But then again, 2x80 is probs enough for your CPU alone.

6. Baldick

Baldick Banned

yup sums it up. also your setup will not be too demanding so id recon 2x80mm fans 7v modded(and silent) will be sufficient as your pump will give enough flow for this setup.

good luck.

7. iced98lx

iced98lx Banned

Thanks, honestly for some constructive replies- I understood it was saturday night, but to post just that and not add anything to the post was uncalled for. :thumb:

In othernews as my original post said, I've already ordered the 120mm rad, I was just expressing my desire to run the wavemaster as I assume it was intended to be. The 120mm Rad and Panaflow Fan should be quiet enough to keep me happy.. I think I'll run a single coolermaster fan on my fan tube @ 7v.

thanks again for the comments. :cooldude:

chris

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Not sure about -H-, but not everyone knows watercooling that well :)

Sounds good! :)

9. iced98lx

iced98lx Banned

Okay now that there are some replies- for anyone that doesn't want to scroll to the bottom for my main questions:
    KT600 chipset- run hot? Okay with passive cooling ??:

FX5200- Currently passive cooled with a tiny heatsink- okay when I watercool and kill the fans? I know it runs hot, but I've never had stability issues, which to me equals okay.

Thanks again for spreading knowladge :)

Chris

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Like I said, they'll be ok with some airflow.
    For instance if you have the Rad in the front, the 120mm fan would be blowing air in too, so theres decent airflow.
    If its going in the back, then put some fan(s) at the front, and 7v them.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Funny you should mention that, because I feel that:
    was a bit uncalled for. Welcome to the forums, iced98lx. We'd love to help you, but as -H- pointed out, it is Saturday and people do have a life outside these forums to get on with. Moreover, when you start a thread in the US, it is between 5 to 8 hours later here in the UK, and later still in the rest of Europe. So what was evening to you, was 3.12am in the morning over here and that is when we over here tend to sleep.

I feel that I must re-iterate what I told another member on this forum not so long ago (15.09.05 to be exact). I'd like you to pay particular attention to point 3.
    Also generally, we tend to discourage bumping of posts, particularly within the same day.

Now in answer to your queries, it is really hard to advise you without knowing the temps your system is currently pulling. However:

- KT600: a Zalman passive heatsink will work fine.

- GFX: two low-flow 80mm fans in the front as you are planning it should work fine. Keep the path relatively unobstructed. Shadowed_Fury's advise on the fans is sound.

- Radiator: The Wavemaster does not breathe particularly well, and the 2x80mm radiator is not a great performer either. I'd consider a 120mm fan radiator, and mount it on the back of the case as the Corsair kit, I believe, allows. If you mount it in the front, you will have to resort to case cutting --but in the side panels, to allow some air to the rad.

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Not to mention, most people are europeans here ;)

Yeah it does, as does the Swiftech kit, which is more or less the same ;):p

13. iced98lx

iced98lx Banned

Yes well this thread is ready for closing, as I recieved the information I was looking for with a smile much before you spent time replying- I wasn't looking for an instant turn around I was mearly stating what I saw as an obvious fact, threads with those words in the title tend to get more repsonses- mostly due to people feeling qualified to answer, the dumber you appear to be, the more someone else will say.
    On a side note, just as I was warned by a few of my friends on this forum, it is indeed nearly impossible to have an open discussion without someone feeling more important than they really are. Good day in the UK, I won't be retruning!

(I hope the quote of what you posted three days ago tooky ou a while to find, by the way.. that was hopefully a bigger waste of time than it was for you and ---H--- to add meaningless garbage to this thread, although I do thank you for your insight into my questions- the only response I intended to illicit. )

Christopher

14. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

No loss tbh. How Rude can someone be?

15. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

indeed, he needs to pay attention to his own signature.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It appears that you do not even have insight into your own behaviour (which for a deaf interpreter, is actually quite scary...).

To facilitate your not returning to these forums, please consider yourself permanently banned.

Tags: