1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to bend plexiglass?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by foundsoul, 18 Sep 2005.

1. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

Will a hair dryer put out enough heat to bend plexiglass in a Lshape?

2. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Probably not, need a little more heat... I use a propane torch... very quickly... (It will burn the glass). The correct way is to use a heater strip.

3. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

or go to walmart in the paint section buy a paint stripping gun and evenly heat were u want the bend it makes a nice bend if u brace it on like if u want a 90 deg. bend clamp it to a piece of angle iron ,
    L iron whatever people have many names for it but make shure to heat evenly and not over heat if u overheat u will see little bubbles in the plastic

4. iced98lx

iced98lx Banned

To do it properly you would take My58's advice and purchase a strip heater made for this. either it will have a thermostat or will heat to approximately the correct temperature for this job, making it fairly foolproof, and very easy to bend. Utilize whatever size corner you'd like (perhaps a spare chunk of 4x4 material?) and bend to fit! Hairdryer wont' work, a good heatgun will most likely work.. If you decide to go with a torch of some sort, use some scraps to practice as you can ruin a load of plexi/acrlyic in a hurry!

Chris

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i've used a heat gun and a little soldering torch (looked like a lighter with a blue jet of flame) just clamp one side and heat along the crease, then bend when it's soft. you might have to hold it in place for ~10 seconds after you bend it so it doesn't bounce back. clear plexi gets frosted when heated, but goes back to clear when it cools down

6. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

As other have recommended, I too will vouch for strip heaters which will give you the most control and predictability in your bends. If you just want to experiment most heat guns will work just fine. You do have a narrow temperature range in which you can bend the material without carmelizing or causing bubbles in it so you have to be patient and methodical with it.

7. onggie

onggie What's a Dremel?

I have heard people using there ovens to heat it, though I wouldn't suggest it! :D

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

it is actually possible to use a hairdryer, but that depends on how much you want to bend.

i was bending a 10x5mm rod (about 45cm long) with a hairdryer. but the bend was only about 2cm from center to the edges. (large diameter arch)

if you are going to bend thick glass (5mm and up) be careful to take time to let it heat throughout. it you dont you will have the outside of the glass soft, and the inside hard, and when you bend the hard part will pull the soft part, making it crack.

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Combo strip heater and heat gun to do my bending. either works fine, I don't think most hair dryers would get hot enough or put out enough heat. Plexi is sorta finicky that way as the joint has to be evenly heated to bend, but too much and it starts bubbling too little and you'll get nasty cracks.

ohh and yes you can sorta do the oven. but more like a preheat as if you heat it up to the correct bendy temp the entire sheet is like a saggy wet blanket.

10. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

does anyone have the link to the homemade acrylic strip heater? I remember seeing it somewhere...

11. ARM

ARM Minimodder

12. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

yep I believe that was it, thanks arm.