1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors thinking of this....

Discussion in 'General' started by J-Pepper, 18 Sep 2005.

1. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

New car time, thinking of this one...

[​IMG]

what do you guys reckon...?

I'm set on getting it, but just like to hear what some peeps thought of the car (preferably first hand experience!)

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Go to www.vx220.org.uk - Everything you ever need on there! You might even be able to trace the car through someone there, see if its got history etc.
    For a car like this, a HPi Check is a definate.

3. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Dude, how the hell can you afford that and the insurance as a 24 year old Uni Student???

- M@

4. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

haha.. i've actually graduate this year (just haven't updated my bio) and it's not really as expensive as it looks but shhhhh...! don't tell anybody!

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

6. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

why not get an Elise?

7. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

hmmm... i've thought long and hard about that and i've come to the conclusion as there are already loads of Elises on the road (iirc, only around 81 or 810 (??) VX220s have been sold in the uk), they suffer from poorer warranty (1 year compared to 3 for the vx220 at new) and the elises have poorer build quality... but, from what I have been hearing in the motoring press, the drive is just the same, although lacking the elises utmost precision... it's still not to be sniffed at.

8. RepLiKa

RepLiKa What's a Dremel?

elise = way better imo.
    lighter and can easily be tuned,handle better and look better! probably cheaper too?

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Get it, guessing its the non-turbo? ;)

10. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

yeah, the turbo version is a lot more expensive...

but I find that a good thing, i'm an NA man myself and it's not about the straight line speed (as you really can't get anywhere fast in a straight line these days) but about the corners... and since I live somwhere where the country roads are 'Amazing' for fast a-to-b with corners... some you even have to let the rear slip to get by, even on an FF ;)

And the elise, they hold there value well, better than the VX220 (54% as opposed to 51% from one source) and thus that means that old Elises are actually still expensive compared to a relatively new VX220.

11. ChriX

ChriX ^

I wouldn't say the Elise has poorer build quality, as you probably know both cars are built in the same factory by the same people, so there can't be much difference! Actually, if you worry about build quality, I doubt either car would be a good choice. :p

I think the VX is a little bit quicker, and you get stuff like ABS, but i'd still have the Elise based on looks alone. You sound like you would enjoy either one though, so buy! :D

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Whats the point in having rich parents if you can't use them? :D

13. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I actually prefer the random looks of the VX myself.
    I do like the Elise, its just got boring ;) I find the VX much more exciting :)

14. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

exactly the same sentiments as Shadow... i feel that the elise is getting common... kinda like BMW years back... now everyone and their dog has a 3 series!

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Exactly, PLUS, you'll get all the looks from the Lotus drivers ;) "RACE ME" :p

16. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

ok put it this way.
    what sounds cooler

" i drive a vauxhall "
    or
    " i drive a Lotus "

and just think how boring you'll become since everytime you drive the car you have to explain to everyone that really underneath the ****** bits you've got a lotus elise

17. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

who cares... i'm the sort of guy who wears D&G because I like the the shoes and not because I like the name.

Personally, i wouldn't care less, even if I don't think highly of any other vauxhalls, the VX220 is a genuinely good car... badge or no badge... if I really cared that much, I would've picked the lotus from the beginning ;)

18. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

VX220 is waaaay better than Lotus.

Besides, who cares, Vauxhall is on the up now anyway.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

But 1) They're not tbh, they're the same car, with a decent name on the front
    and 2) Vauxhall have become like Germany - struggling to shake off that bad reputation from such wonderful models as the Cavalier and Vectra.

Tags: