1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jobs dismisses iTunes price rise

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 21 Sep 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Mismissed?

Still good to hear though. All we need now is global price equality, so we don't get stiffed in the UK any more. When the US pay 54p per track and we pay 79, it does seem rather two-faced

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I wouldn't say *everyone* loses with piracy, but the definately-"greedy" RIAA certainly does. Not to mention I despise iTunes (HATE the interface). However, congrats to Steve. Next you know they'll sue him too.

4. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I don't use iTunes mainly because I don't have an iPod and the software is too freaking slow for me. Sure, I'll download a cd every now and then and if I actually like more then just one song, then I'll go to the music store in the mall and buy a copy for $10. But quite frankly, I never will pay $0.99 for a song. For a single song to cost that music is just a little bit high, IMHO. It would be better if someone were to come up with a program that would allow the artists to sell their records for what they deem a fair price. Maybe one day, that'll happen and we'll see $0.25 a song (which is what I'm willingly to pay. :lol:)

5. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

"It would be better if someone were to come up with a program that would allow the artists to sell their records for what they deem a fair price."

now thats what i would like to see. undercut them and let the money go to the people who made the songs. the recording companies would love it. :D

bit like valve and steam and we all know how much VU liked that. :hehe:

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

*bing Idea* what about steam songs! steam could allow you to download songs aswell as games, they have massive amounts of bandwidth ect. and a robust system

7. AWACS

AWACS What's a Dremel?

I agree with the RIAA beeing greedy... hingh prices will only result in lots of piracy and a dead piece of culture known as music. I hope the record industry will come to their sences (most likely NOT) and leave the prices just as they are... they seem to fail realize that internet music stores is the future, cd is still going to be strong... however it seems that the old fashion free market has taken over all kind of respect for the customer. it'll be their doom... sorry to point it out if someone from the record industry reads this, but greed is going to be the doom of the record industry... I would hope they think again and place themselves as customers and think: "how much would I be willing to pay for an album"

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Aye, but then you'd have VALVe getting royalties instead of Apple so it's still going to be at least $0.99 a song as VALVe is quite smaller then Apple. Napster would have been awesome when it made it's return if it worked directly with the artists instead of the record labels.

9. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

It's a complete joke, on the one hand you get the RIAA playing the victim and arguing that even though they have legitimate online services available piracy is rife and then on the other it's quite clear that rather than simply adapting to the internet as a means of providing content that is cheaper to supply the RIAA has opened it's greedy fingers to using the net to actually makes more billions in profit over CD sales.

It's crazy the price of an iTunes track as it is when you consider the massive savings made by RIAA companies with regards to CD manufacture and distribution nevermind the cut retail outlets traditionally take. The net supplies easily duplicated digital files and the price should reflect that; instead the RIAA want to screw over the consumer using a new medium. If the RIAA actually looked objectively at this new market they would see that by offering songs for a fair price you actually don't increase production costs but rather far more ppl would buy the songs at the reduced price. Admittely it would require some jigging so everyones happy but the RIAA's actions at present are simply shocking and not reported in the mainstream, corporate owned, piracy is the devil, news outlets.

I'm speaking specifically about the cost for albums as single prices are certainly down; although you tend not to get the extras you would on a retail single CD.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2005
  10. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

I say hike the prices up! Then we can all get back to pirating as usual. Let their greed bite them in the ass!

Or do as the gas companies, tripple the price, then lower it by a dollar and everyone will think it's cheap...

11. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

tell you what. the riaa can go kiss my rosy red ass. its a choice between paying 99c for a song, and getting that warm fuzzy feeling inside when you do the right thing, or not paying $1.99 for a song and getting that thrill of knowing you just broke the law by downloading it, i know which one i'll be doing.

all they have to do is say "damn, look, people are paying for songs they used to steal, we won! yay! lets go have a moneyfight!" and everyone will be happy, instead they get greedy and want more. well, tough, either be happy with what you have, and what i give you, or i'll give it to someone else and you wont get anything. welcome to capitalism, my dollar, my choice, either the riaa like it or lose it.

i just wish i could get to the riaa HQ, im wondering if my right to 'peacefull protest' includes urinating on the receptionists desk.

(incase you havent guess, i think the riaa are things that i cant put in here, if i used the language i want to use, i'd probably be banned)

Tags: Add Tags