1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senturion Storm by GuardianStorm <<UPDATE>>

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by GuardianStorm, 19 Sep 2005.

1. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Right, my brother got a new (all be it entry level) digital camara, so i can finaly take photos of my modding :D woot! etc.

Here is the case i started with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it is the Centurion 351, as revied about a week after i got it, by bit-tech.

the first thing was to remove everything from the case (duh) a little bit of cable routing (namely the USB connector, which now cunningly pops out a hole beneath the the mobo, right next to the USB header :)

PSU Braiding

then i braided the PSU, im also going to remove the black fan and rplace it with a blue one. although the PSU has 80mm fans, it is dead silent, good old temperature controleed stuff :)

[​IMG]
    braiding box

[​IMG]
    PSU and extras that i created, such as a SATA connecter, and a custom length Y splitter.

Stealthing

next i stealthed my two drives: DVD Rom and CDRW:

[​IMG]

not bad i think. not brilliant, but that was my first attempt, depending if i need the other drive bay covers, i might redo the crap looking one (the bottom one).

Underglow

my next thought was that i wanted an under glow type effect, so i manufactured some acrylic defusers, which were frosted using a delta sander with 100 grip sand paper. I drilled and counter sunk screw holes in them, and drilled some LED holes into the inside edges. the screws i used were Meccano screws, mainly cos i have an abundance of them :p

[​IMG]

here is the under glow circuitry:

[​IMG]
    overall underglow system
    [​IMG]
    this is where the power dissapears into the case
    [​IMG]
    there is a piece of frosted acrylic here, but it caught the flash a little too well :p

noice and clean :shakes head: if anyone has ideas that dont involve alot of rewireing the underglow, i will be pleased ot hear them. im thinking a small think sheet of plqastic, but i proly wont bother, who the hell is going to be looking under my PC?

here is a couple of night shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Window

My dad did me a favour, and kindly cut out the window shape for me, as my straight lines arnt as good as his :p

[​IMG]
    i love that shape :)
    [​IMG]
    thats big sheet of Acrylic, only cost £10 for 5ft by 2ft!

the actual sheet of acrylic is being cut at my dads work, as we cant fit it into out band saw!

More to come :)

Comments and suggestions welcomed of course :)

Last edited: 22 Sep 2005
  2. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Looks good so far, may i ask where you got the acrylic from? :D

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah :D a small sign shop on my dads industrial estate :p Verwood - Dorset if your intrested :p

4. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

nice start first of all.

now for the under glow how bout mounting the leds into the underbody plexi via the inside of the case, drilling 5mm holes and slotting them half way into the underneath acrylic. making a little raised floor in the bottom of the case to hide the wires and add some xtra looks.
    This is what ive done in a previous case of mine for glowing feet, and the results imo are alot better.

5. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

ok, i might have a go at that :) but i kinda like the way it is atm.

6. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Dont like the leds.. you should to as huren says..

7. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

That underglow looks daaaamn nice, mind if I use that idea?

8. Big SturL

Big SturL What's a Dremel?

Look's hot GS! Hey, would you mind explaining to me how you connected the leds? Like, did you just lead the current through + to - to + to - and so on? I saw that you had drawn an electrical "chart", but I'm not very good at that... I want to do something of the same fashion you see, and I'm very curious on how you did it:).

9. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I like the leds and you should do as you want. That's a good price for the plexi and nice looking drives.

10. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

thanks guys :) and anyone who wants to use my ideas can, they are probably already used anyway (thanks to Defyant for the idea of frosting acrylic, but i couldnt be bothered to buy frosting spray so sand paper is fine :p )

if you look at the chart, the right hand sides of the LEDs (the arrows if ya hadnt guessed) is then negative sie, just wire those to the positive side of the next one, like so:

-Power+ +LED- +LED- +LED- Resistor -
    |------------------------------------|

hope you under stand that :)
    to calculate the resistor value (and to make the circuit) i use this website: Resistor Calculator just input the data and it will draw a really neat diagram for you, (you would prolly find the wireing diagram the best choice)

this may help wireing:
    Link

more pics comming tonight hopefully :)

Last edited: 19 Sep 2005
  11. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

next, only a little update but its cool i think :)

[​IMG]
    not see anything?

what about now :D :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is how it is wired in (much cleaner neater and generaly better than the underglow):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

comments?

12. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

clearer pictures....j/k

Nice work... keep it tight and hidden, remember it's your project, and ask yourself "How will I feel in the future with the looks and the way I did my mod?" It should help you to keep anything from biting you in the rear in the future..
    P.S. Taking notes so I can use some ideas in my big mod!

13. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

lol, clearer pics you say, hmm? well get me a digital camera, im using my bros crappy one!

=============
    | NEW LOG |
    =============

New Log Here: Project Log

Comments Here: Project Comments

Last edited: 23 Sep 2005
  14. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

Good luck! :)