1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New Laptops Unable to Logon to Windows 2000 Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arthur2Sheds, 4 Oct 2005.

1. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

I am setting up new laptops at the office. When attempting to logon to our Windows 2000 server, I get an error that a domain controller may not be available and that XP is unable to logon. If I then logon as admin to the local computer, I can then navigate my way to the network and access drives and folders from there. The computer is obviously talking to the network, but not logging in as it should. These computers all have static internal IP addresses, as they are not allowed to access the Internet due to the nature of the data on them. Under the admin logon (local computer), I have checked every TCP/IP setting, all running services, etc. All is identical to other laptops that are working properly. I do not know what else to check. What am I missing?

Thanks!

2. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

did you add it to the domain? :worried:

when login on did you chose the right domain and use a name and password you know works.

do you have your server set up right?

have you put a new computer on the domain befor?

3. andyunder

andyunder What's a Dremel?

lets try the more simple approch. if the laptops are using xp home you will not get them to log on to a domain as they cant so you will need xp pro

4. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

They are all XP Pro. The domain and credentials were correct. The server is set up correctly. The little thing I missed was adding the computer to the domain. The only computers I've added to a network before were configured with a logon script, so I didn't know this had to be done. It worked, but it was tricky because the actual domain name was different than what I could choose from the dropdown box in the logon screen.

Thank you both for your help!

Tags: