1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help testing.. so free webhosting/email ;)

Discussion in 'General' started by monolith, 4 Oct 2005.

1. monolith

monolith True Friend

Hi everybody. I know there is probably a plethora of options available for people wanting to host photos, files, and such, but as I'm spending a lot of time working on a HA test cluster for my datacenter, I figured a good way to stress test it would be to give out accounts to anybody who wanted them. I must stress this _is_ a *test* cluster, and I'm not promising anything. I will try my best to keep it operational etc, but make sure you always have copies of files you might upload to it. :) Feel free to use the mail side of things too, but again, there are no promises about the accounts.

As a side note, I hacked out the signup stuff in about 10 minutes so it's ugly, and barely works. There is almost absolutely no error checking. If you goof up, it'll probably break. It will probably just break on its own. Make sure you read what each page says, and please, be honest in your answers to the few questions I ask.

http://signup.corenode.com

It'll give you more detailed instructions about how to use the account once you've finished the signup. I'm really looking for feedback on things, and various things you'd like to see, etc, so please please please feel free to contact feedback@corenode.com concerning anything (especially if something doesn't work), and I'll do my best to please everyone. :)

I really appreciate all of your help in testing things out, and I hope in the meantime it can prove to be useful to you too. I want to give as much as I take. =) Thanks!

PS - Use it, abuse it, try to break it, the more evil you are, the better. It's for a good cause! The only limitation right now is I've stuck it on a T1 from RR, so the bandwidth is limited at 1.5mbit. I know my dc network is stable, I'm wanting to test the cluster itself, therefore I've seperated it from my production network. So transfering 4 gig files over and over doesn't really help. :p Just toss up websites (php is fine), photos, whatever. No restrictions on direct linking, etc. If you need a database made, email feedback@corenode.com and I'll even help you out with that.

Cheers,
    David

PS2 - I know there is no validation on the form to check for errors. No need testing that (whoever signed up about 38080382 times with blank information) , lol.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2005
  2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

How long does it take for the email to arrive?

Yes, I've abused it a bit ;)

3. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

the email should arrive instantly, i got mine real quick.

I'm all registered and stuff, will be sure to abuse it when i get back. I'll be sure to play with php on it and let you know if i find any holes

4. MrWillyWonka

Ah, it went to junk, not surprised really, the username was 80,409 characters long, maybe you should limit the number of characters :D

5. monolith

monolith True Friend

In the database it's limited to 80. As I said, I didn't bother with any kind of validation on the form, the form is just a temporary hack to let people make logins. I want to test/abuse the actualy system itself, not some ugly php I churned out while sleepwalking. :p I'll be purging the funky/obviously fake named accounts nightly, keep that in mind.

6. monolith

monolith True Friend

Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping people would do with it. Maybe some people can get some use out of it too, help me and I help you kind of thing.

7. fizban

fizban What's a Dremel?

cool man, thanks! Gonna play around with it now!!!!
    -Fiz

8. MrWillyWonka

Loads well, no probs. Pictures work well in webpages, as do other files. Can I ask what you will get out of this? Of course 4gigs of webspace is good, but I can't see how you benefit!

Should I do a mass file upload & download (at the same time) with thousands of small files and see if the server can handle it?

9. fizban

fizban What's a Dremel?

oops wierd, my browser freaked out and now I have two posts... Anyways, yeah let us know how we can help you 'test'

10. monolith

monolith True Friend

You're actually connected to dozens of servers in my datacenter. It _appears_ as one big monolithic server to users. I'm testing that cluster, unplugging running machines, killing power, purposefully corrupting database tables in master/replicants/etc, while you all are using the resources. So, what I'm getting out of it, is invaluable data I can use to improve my cluster design, and potential problems getting ironed out _before_ I actually put the cluster into production for clients. You get the space/hosting. :) You can do whatever you want, put thousands of files, ten files, whatever. The whole point is to simulate real-world load, and real-world unknowns. Something I can't do on my own. :)

11. monolith

monolith True Friend

Just use it. :) Do whatever you'd like. Pass out the signup to friends! The more the better. I just need normal people to use it like they normally would, it's helping me catch all the flaws in my design before I actually use it for something mission critical. Thank you all for your help!

12. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

What services do you have there, I'm guessing PHP, how about Perl (I can try to break things with that), MySQL?

13. monolith

monolith True Friend

Right now, the cluster has these services customer accessible and running:
    smtp(s) mail

imap(s)/pop3(s) mail

http(s) webserver supporting:

php(5) + most php modules (i'm not a fan of perl for security reasons, but it is a possible addition if you think it's something i'd need to run for end-users, and can make a convincing argument :p)

mysql database server (the account creation does not, however, create a db and db user, if you want that, send a mail to feedback@corenode.com and i will create it manually - include your username in the mail)

ftp server

If you can think of anything else you'd like to see/suggest, let me know.

14. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

One more thing, are we testing security when it comes to dodgy php scripts?

As for perl, I can live without it, was just curious.

15. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

Signed up although I haven't got round to uploading to it yet. I'll probably use it for PHP/mySQL testing and possibly some photo uploads.

Will we be losing our accounts in a week or so when the testing is done?

16. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Hrmm am i just retarded but I can't get into ftp

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I just made 2 accounts one doin proper name and teh other with my username, you can delete the oneilcj one coz i'll be using r4tch3t.
    I dont really do that much cept load pics and mayby a couple of zips soo just normal usage for someone who doesnt, yet, have much use for online storage.
    Thanx BTW. :D

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Just shove ftp.corenode.com into IE, (wonmt work in Firefox and new to it so dont know if you can yet) then put ur username and password in.
    Crap security with no encyption, sed somethin about using a different method but I cant be bothered this works ;)
    Linkey

19. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

How about SSH access and storage outside of the document root?

20. MrWillyWonka

You can access FTP using firefox, for some reason it doesn't give you a username and password promt, just an error.

You can do this ftp://username:corenod.com which will then promot for a password, or ftp://username@password:corenod.com.

Otherwise use the Fireftp extension, but I use SmartFTP or the IE FTP anyway.