1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Mines up and running off of the onboard pins I inserted. However, I came across the one thing I especially hate about this LCD - viewing angles. I had it propped up on a box on the floor so that I would be looking at it perpendicularily. Thought it was a bit dark, changed some settings and it didnt look any better. Dad came in and I got up and I noticed how when you look at the LCD from above, it looks as it should. I dunno, will have to see how it looks once I mount it somewhere.

2. Veer

Veer What's a Dremel?

I have a question, I don't much about soldering wires and stuff. Is there not an easier way of just connecting the psone screen using a few connectors. Using the av multi out to s-video or dvi? I just go my screen recently and i am just trying to avoid to the hacking and soldering part. All help will be appreciated.

3. elmodder

elmodder What's a Dremel?

this lcd looks fin if you look stright, from above, or form one side.

not from below :p

my rig is on the floor, so i never noticed this until i went to a lan party and had it on a table :p

i think they didn't care if it didn't work when looking at it from below, cause its for a PSONE, and nooen could use it that way :p

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's good to share. :) Anyway I had so many people PM-ing me for a copy that I thought I might as well make the whole thing "official" and downloadable as a complete packet.

AS for viewing angles, yeah, that is a problem. There are often some pots on the PCB of screens like that, which allow for tweakage (is that a word?) of the viewing angle, within limits. My screen looks fine head-on, darker when viewed from below and lighter when viewed from above. Viewing angles are just not as good as on a nice, good quality TFT monitor...

5. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Yes, you can. But you'll need a special cord and RCA or svideo on your video card. To hook your psone LCD up you'll need a camcorder to TV cord. It has a 3.5mm jack on one end, and yellow RCA video plug on the other. I used a Samsung one. If you have svideo on your video card you'll need RCA adapter. Once you done that, turn on your computer and go to porerties from the desktop. And enable your LCD. (should recongnize it as a TV, this is normal) Then adjust it to your likings. The downside to this is it displays text as a TV. Very jagged and not sharp. So it's bes for displaying images or large text. (36 point font looks good) Hope that helps.

My psone LCD mod.
    [​IMG]

Hooked up using RCA. It's not all that clear on text, and it looks messed up because that's how camera picks it up. Maybe because frequency??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Sep 2005
  6. enterprise

enterprise What's a Dremel?

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'd say that that's too bad just to be a powerstrip problem, check your wiring / joints and make sure there's nothing interfering with it. Is it soldered directly onto the card or are you using a modded vga cable?

8. enterprise

Last edited: 8 Oct 2005
  9. enterprise

i finally got it workin by treaking powerstrip but theres still 1 thing thats wrong :(

theres like a black arrow scrolling down the page as shown in the picture below . . . anybody have this problem and know a solution?

[​IMG]

10. xmas111

xmas111 What's a Dremel?

I believe playing with the horizontal scan rate, in Power Strip, might take care of that..... only a guess. :)

Last edited: 9 Oct 2005
  11. enterprise

haha...tnx man, works perfectly now! :)

12. geor1712

geor1712 What's a Dremel?

so, how would I go about doing it this way??

Also, where is the cheapest place to get the lcd from? ebay?

13. enterprise

hehe me again, for every1 who implimented a switch into the mod, where abouts did u put it? did u plug the ac adapter into the switch and lead it to the lcd, or something else? just wanted to make sure i didn't short it out or anting

thanks in advance! :p

14. xmas111

xmas111 What's a Dremel?

Does anyone have any idea what causes the red vertical line on the left side of the screen?

[​IMG]

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That doesn't look good, I'd say that there was a broken wire / line somewhere. I take it it's always there?

Has the screen been dropped / handled badly at any point?

16. xmas111

xmas111 What's a Dremel?

No I haven't dropped it or abused it, actually I've been very careful with it. And I should have mentioned it shows up a minute or so after I turn it on. But then it's always there. :confused:

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Well that's not such a bad sign. Can you get it to change / move at all once it appears, or is it always on in the exact same place?

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I've seen that before on a TFT, if you try bending the screen ever so slightly, the line should dissapear, which indicates a loose thingy somewhere. Can't remember the name of the thread, but its here somewhere, with the solution - the guy did fix it.

19. xmas111

xmas111 What's a Dremel?

It stays right where it is. Maybe there's a setting in Power Strip I'm not seeing that can solve this. I just can see it.

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm sure it's not powerstrip by what you've described, I'd try MrWillyWonka's trick, it sounds like the culprit.

A line of dead pixels screams "broken connection" to me, I'd never heard of fixing them though.

Good luck with it :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags