1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Capacitor question, kinda lame

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PHxS, 13 Oct 2005.

1. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine handed me an ASUS A7N8X-E that had a blown cap on it. It was rated at 25V 10uF and I can't remember how he said that it happened. Pretty confident with my soldering skills, I figured I would have a go at fixing it.

Having a few Luxeon caps laying around that I had salvaged from the power supply board of a Sony home dvd player. I noticed that quite a few were at the same voltage rating, but the capacity ratings were higher (eg: 47uF, 100uF, and 470uF). I also have a few with the same capacity but the voltage ratings are 16V and 50V.

Would I be wrong in assuming that the voltage rating of the replacement part be the same as the part being replaced? I can't believe i'm asking this question, but I only have a (very) basic knowledge of electronics that consisted of a troubleshooting class that my dealership sent me to. The advanced stuff comes in the next class which I should be taking at the start of the next year.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

The voltage rating of a replacement capacitor can be either at or higher than the capacitor it is replacing.

The value of the replacement can usually be at or higher than the value it is replacing as well. Note that sometimes higher values do not work due to what the capacitor is there to do in the first place. Things such as ESR, frequency capability, leakage, type, and so on are important in voltage regulation for sensitive things such as the processor and the bridges.

Since it is of 25v value, I would, in your position, go ahead and replace the damaged capacitor with one of higher voltage capability and equal capacitance value.

3. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot! I'll try one of the 50V 10uF ones first. This specific cap is near the bottom of the board, so I doubt that it is for any of the really important items like the processor, ram, north or south bridge.

Besides, if it never works, it's not like i'm out any money. :)

4. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

you might want to make sure it is the right size to fit on the solder pads on the board. if you have to, just order one off digikey for like $1.00 at the most. and i agree, same capacitance, but you can go higher on the voltage ratings (all the voltage rating is how many volts can be applied before the cap blows, so if it was 25 it won't hurt to go higher) good luck soldering that...

5. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

Thanks Jakenbake, I had thought about that and found they had the same lead spacing. As a matter of fact, I just finished soldering it in. I'm a little iffy about the connection because I couldn't find any of the solder braid I know I have around.

I did manage to clear the holes using a 'pop-n-scrape' technique using a garbage bag twist tie. It just kinda came to me when I couldn't find any braid around; I need to get a vacuum style desolder gun (I won't misplace something that large.).

I'll be testing the board later when I figure out where I left my thermal paste. I'll post up my findings when i'm done.

Thanks and Lates...

6. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

HAH!

I should have been a bit more confident about my skills! Yes, I called them skills. The capacitor worked, I used the 50V 10uF one that Jakenbake recommended.

Thanks to the both of you for offering some knowledge, I have learned something new.

p.s.- I typed this message using the now repaired motherboard. :clap:

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Awesome great job. :thumb: Free motherboard. :rock: