1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highest CPU Temperature seen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eliminos, 13 Oct 2005.

1. Eliminos

Eliminos What's a Dremel?

So I was installing a barton 3200 in my sisters computer and I applied the thermal paste to the processor and to the heatsink (where i wiped the original paste off). What I accidently did was clip the heatsink on 'backwards' so the paste on the heatsink wasn't touching the paste on the processor.

So I booted it up, checked the speed and then went to download MBM. At which point it rebooted. 'Oh shi-,' I thought as I checked the temperature in the BIOS.

118°C

I win.

Until someone else posts a higher one.

In my defence the heatsink is so much easier to clip on the way I clipped it on originally, the 'correct' way means forcing a screwdriver between the small gap between the heatsink and the PSU.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

That's hotter than my old XP1800+ under load by a mile, and I even reused the thermal paste on that ;). I'm amazed that you even got into Windows...

Must have been quite an "oh shi...." moment, though.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've seen 127c, but I know for a fact it was a software glitch. Using the same software, I'd seen my NB fan at something around 642,000RPM.

4. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I dunno what the temp was but...

I was working on me comp one day and had removed the cooler to re-seat it or summin, the cooler was left on the side and I went off to get my lunch. I then come back about half an hour later and instinctively turned the pc on, then went away to hunt for somthing in the garrage, I came back a few minutes later to a black sreen and re-membered what I had been doing :duh: :waah:

I turned the pc off for half an hour, come back crossed my fingers and pressed the button... cmon, pleeeeasse!......

..... It works!!!! :clap:

Bloody lucky, it still worked perfectly fine somehow and carried on using it for another 6 months :D

Supposudly my hardisk was at 13124144525oC or summin using the hdd tool the other day :hip:

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I think we've all done that before Fibre+, I did it with an old Celeron a few months back, still ran XP, just a bit slow... :p

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I never have...but then again I always automatically pull the plug whenever the proc is seated without a cooling mechanism in place.

I've had the HD thing happen before too. Just a tad warm... core of the sun or so. At the time I could have used it... winter in Vermont with a window making up 60% of your wall and being the last in the heating circuit isn't too fun.

7. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

my friends 2600+ barton hit 93c i shut it down and had to rebuild his pc. Between the heatsink getting bumped and the cpu fan sucking hot air from the PSU it was a bad situation.

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

ditto Firehed. Worst i ever did was a P3 1.2 to 79C by not plugging the sink in, and 99c on a 1GHz CU-Mine without the fan on to see if it was passively stable.

9. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

only 72C on my 2400 Mobile @ 2.5, just didnt have heatsink seated right, still works fine.