1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux I'm trying linux again!

Discussion in 'Software' started by orb, 16 Oct 2005.

1. orb

orb satisfying.

Ok, now i've got the urge to use linux again, after around 6 failed attempts before, but this time im using ubuntu latest one..

I have a YAKUMO QuickWLAN USB adapater, and i don't want to run into linux and not have any internet, as thats whats happened before.

Does anyone know of any drivers what work for this?(I've check google and no returns)

Any help would be appreciated, and a extra thumbs up if you can tell me how to get it to work too!

2. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

Im guessing not. The number of 802.11(a,b,g) supported chipsets is somewhat limited, since the companies don't like to give out the information needed to get them to work, and alot of newer ones require the firmware loaded at runtime. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

3. orb

orb satisfying.

:( So theres no real possible way i can get the internet ?

Well, atleast ubuntu looks nice o_O

4. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

What you need to find out is the chipset that is used in the dongle. That will tell you whether or not its possible to get it working.

If its not supported nativly (ie no linux driver), then their maybe another driver thats been backward engineered, or even using something called NDiswrapper that will use the windows driver.

Wireless is hard work in Linux unless you get a well supported chipset, but its not impossible.

Edit :

Just found out what chipset your using, the ZyDAS ZD1211 802.11b/g USB WLAN chipset. Looks like there is a way to get it to work, at a glance.

5. orb

orb satisfying.

Well i don't see anything in them numbers/letters, so you'll have to explain/teach me how to get it work, im a teeny bit scared after linux reformmated my drive for the 2nd time now (did it a few months ago too)

6. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

One alternative is just go buy a wireless pci nic, linksys 802.11g cards start at around $40. Then you wouldn't have this external thing.

Anywho, on another note - linux didn't reformat your drive. One thing I love about PCs is they only do what you tell them to :)

- serial_

7. orb

orb satisfying.

No, this one did, i was installing linux, i directed it to the partiion i made, and poof, when i wanted to dual boot my windows was gone..

8. orb

orb satisfying.

So that would mean id get internet 100% ?

/me goes off in search.

9. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Haha I did that once, I didn't specify a boot loader, I could view windows and all my files on it, but could not get the freaking thing to boot. I just pulled everything I absolutely needed to my linux partition, burned it to a CD, and reformatted the whole drive... I think I even did a zero-fill.

- serial_

10. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

first off, if you just don't specify a boot loader, you can restore the windows default using the windows CD.

Secondly, all of my linux boxes running wireless use NDISWRAPPER.

I HIGHLY reccomend using it, there is a good ubuntu tutorial somewhere, I'll try to find out where it was and post the link here. I'm using ubuntu on my laptop with wireless connectivity and it works perfect. All I had to do was install ndiswrapper, copy ALL of my wireless card's driver files, then put them somewhere on my linux box. Then I just ran a few commands that told ndiswrapper which "ndis" drivers to "wrap" and viola! Linux sees my wifi device quite nicely. And that's the last of typing commands via the command line!

(from then on, you just see it in your network preferences.)

I'll post back later with the link as soon as I find it. (I think it was in their wiki)

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yep, all you need to do to restore the hdd to boot from windows is the fixmbr command from the recovery console off the xp boot/install cd. Because it's that brutal, it also get rid of any custom mbr that would have been put in by a linux install, meaning the dual boot menu disappears.

12. gmarappledude

gmarappledude What's a Dremel?

Installing and configuring ndiswrapper every time you boot from a live cd may be a chore too far. I find that Mepis live cd will detect both my wireless NICs no problem and they use broadcom chips. One is PCI and the other cardbus. They work without any configuration at all! It's worth trying the mepis live cd as the worst case is a use cdr.

Tags: