1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm either very brave, or extremley stupid . . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 23 Jun 2002.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I just ordered 2 IBM 60 GIG 120 GXP's :eeek:

Last edited: 23 Jun 2002
  2. RTT

RTT #parp

When they work, they work well...

I havent heard of any GXP120 deaths so far, however only time will tell

3. Behemoth

I know, thats what I'm worried about, oh well one can only hope all goes well. I've got a 40 gig Death Star currently and that seems to be working well for a drive thats 12 months old.

4. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

You're doing us a service, because you'll be able to tell us how good they are.

However, obviously IBM are worried, witht he use time restriction on the 120GXP, and also by the fact that they've sold out of the HDD business, handing everything over to hitachi.

5. Behemoth

Looks like I'll need to knock up a review. I bought them primarily because they were cheap and because my current drives are nearing full and secondly because I want to setup a RAID array.

What is theusage restrction on thm anyway, something about them not being able to ruin for any longer than8 or 9 hours??

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

333 hours per month power-on time. That equates to about 11 hours per day. People say cooling helps, but many cooled GXPs have died. I regard HDD cooling as a must for any drive, but none of these silly 5.25" mounting kits please. Just put an 80mm fan's airflow over the drive (as in a CM201, Lian-Li or Chieftec-based case), and it will be cool to the touch. Can't ask for more. The 802 doesn't really allow for this, and I'd advise an upgrade on that front.

7. Ninja_gnome

Ninja_gnome What's a Dremel?

yeah i have an 80 gig 120gxp but i dont really worry
    i had a 60gxp and it worked just fine.

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

:eeek:

Thats quite unacceptable. Imagine telling a client that he cant keep his server running more than 11 hours a day... you would be laughed out of his office.

9. Behemoth

I put a SCSI drive in here a couple of months back and sat an 80 mm cooler on it and it did a very good job, it was as cool to the touch. I havwen't finished with my 802 yet e.g I need to mod it at some point as I really can't afford to buy a new case.

The main thing is though the drives have warrantym so s hould one pop it's cloggs then I can get it replaced easily enough.

10. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

enjoy using those....

i had my 60gig IBM die on me yesterday and i lost all of my work/mp3s/videos/emails/everything else....

:sigh: :cries: :sigh: :cries: :sigh: :cries: :grr: :grr: :grr:

11. Behemoth

Sorry to hear about that, I've had that happen to me ebfore with an 18 gig Western Digital expert drive 2 years ago.

12. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Fly- After the 75GXP fiasco, IBM quietly dropped the idea of these drives being suitable for server use, and IBM will tell you now that they aren't suitable.

All IBM are trying to achieve with the power-on limit recommendation is to get the drive sucessfully through the warranty period, so that when it does die, they don't have to replace it.

Warranty replacement is all very well, but they can't replace your data too.

13. Behemoth

You got a point there Isaac, thats why I haven't gotten rid of all my existing drives, I've still got my 40 Gig deathstar, which I had to swap for my oriignal 40 gig maxtor cos a freidn thought this drive was faulty. But, touch wood *touches head* it's still going strong. All my data will be kept on the 40 and games apps Windows ect will land up on the the RAID array once I've gotten it setup.

14. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Just get Seagate Barracudas I dont know why everybody still buys IBM drives after the broken ones (forgot model number ;)). :p

15. George

George Bah

buying one IBM now is bad enough, but two, you must be giving them a deathwish?

if they were on RAID, you will be living life on the edge i tell ya!

lol.

.icecube

16. Silmarillion

Silmarillion What's a Dremel?

the only way to run IBMs is in RAID...RAID 1 that is :idea:

And as soon as one days, back that **** up and get one from a proper manufacturer :D (had no probs with my seagate or my maxtor)

17. George

George Bah

i bet they would fail at the same time, sods law, or IBM's law!

lol.

you'd need 10 drives mimicing an IBM drive just to be slightly safe, lol.

.icecube

18. Behemoth

I will not touch Seagates as far as I can throw them, iut of all the big Deagate drives I've had they have all gone belly up. I had one 10 gig drive die 1 day after the warranty was up.

Anyway if the noise I'm hearing from my comp is anything to go by then I think somethings gonna blow up, one of the fans is making a horrid grinding noise, I think it's the chipset cooler :sigh:

19. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i still have an 8 year old seagate workin fine as ever....

and i dont think ill buy another ibm until i have been convinced that its safe...

20. George

George Bah

seagate drives are good.

but dosnt IBM really annoy you, there adverts about being reliable for your company, and all there drives fail!!!

.icecube