1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel shows Robson technology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 18 Oct 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

It's a great idea, just costs so much. Also, from a little research, it seems there maybe a problem with the number of writes a flash disk can take.

Personally think for desktop solutions, that RAM drive via the SATA bus is the way to go. As RAM prices fall it's becoming a consideration for HTPCs etc.

3. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

We are most likely going to end up with some 3.5" flash memory bricks sitting in our drive caddies. But for now, a hybrid solution does look promising.

4. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

I would love to see this in notebooks at the primary drive, assuming of course they have an unlimited (or at least very high) number of write cycles. Say 2GB - 4GB of OS, apps, and small data, then a big HD for all of the larger data. Most of the time spent on the laptop probably wouldn't even need to touch the HD.

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

This looks very good :)
    Solid state lappies... yum

6. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

Seeing as how I just had a friend whos flash drive crapped out on him, I don't think I like the idea all that much. If just the boot up files were stored in the flash area, but were also held on the HDD as a backup in case the flash memory failed, then I think that would be an acceptable solution. I just don't trust flash memory yet. It's supposed to be non-volatile, but I've seen too many situations where jumpdrives and flash based mp3 players suddenly lost all data and forgot how to aquire more.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Good idea, but I want to see it working first. I'm still waiting for that Gigabyte ram-drive to surface.

and r-gator, flash isn't suppposed to be non-volatile - well, it is, but it DOES have a known limit to read/write/rewrite cycles.

8. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

i like this idea a lot!

Perhaps as removable chips, so replacement is possible. I also like the entire OS on a 8G cartage on the board. Maybe similar to a ram chip…..

.......maybe this could inspire Microsoft to Create "Windows M"..... mobile..... performance OS options for low power at the software level.......(but mem is cheap)

Do …. Any Flash chips function as SATA?.....

Last edited: 19 Oct 2005
  9. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Does anybody know if this is going to be integrated to something, like motherboard, cpu, or is it just going to be like a HDD or RAM, I mean, something that you can change?

10. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

ummm..... so, basicly, intel are doing exactly the same thing other people have been doing with the ide<->cflash converter, and calling it new?

i fail to be impressed, peeps have been botting linux boxes from flash for quite a long time, and i suspect windows peeps have too (although, i dont think ive seen anyone do it with windows).

and hello, after a whole 7 seconds of typing on google.... here we see a 147Gb flash IDE drive..... quick, someone call intell and tell them its been done.

<insert more non-impressed blather here at your leisure>

11. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

onboard 4gb boot drive's would be great :) then just install all your apps to your hard drives :)

Tags: Add Tags