1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File server help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kopite, 27 Oct 2005.

1. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Hey guys.

Im in the process of building a file server and need a bit of help.

I have a dual p3 box I was thinking of using but It doesnt have sata ports. For this purpose I was gonna buy the highpoint rocketraid 2220 card. 8 port and allows hot swapping.

Im going to be running linux on this box and someone has said this card isnt compatible with linux.

ANyone have any experience with this card or know of a similar card that will do the job i WANT

2. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Just had a quick look on highpoint's website, and under the product info for the rocketraid 2200 card it says..

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2220.htm

3. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Aye.

THing is someone on another forum has said that its not natively compatible in linux.

heres his exact words.

Re: the RocketRAID, I'm not aware of any proper Linux support. The drivers certainly aren't in the mainline kernel (just checked for the Highpoint 2220 in the 2.6.13 kernel source and can't find anything) and the supposedly "open source" driver on their website contains binary files (which, if you look inside, were compiled on a Mandrake box), so I presume their driver is based on things like nVidia, which use open source "glue" code to hook any kernel to them. Although nVidia don't have the audacity to call their driver open source, which it isn't. In any case, forwards compatability with future kernels can't be guaranteed so I'd advise against the Highpoint.