1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Icy Hot Update 12/12/05!!!!!!!!!!!! woohoo!! water in..

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by boardsportsrule, 17 Oct 2005.

1. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

comments
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1087871#post1087871

Ok, i have decided to start posting my progress, so im kinda in the middle of this, so i have some catching up to do. I decided to water cool my pc, but with limited space in my tower i wanted to go with a external unit. At first i was going to make it totally disattached from PC, but after a while i had an idea of making it attach to the bottom of my case. Transportation would be easier, electrical stuff would be easier, the pump would work less, it just seemed logical. The basic theme here is fire and water, heat and cold etc. my motherboard pumpes off a lot of red, so i had to throw that in, and i like blue so it works :) any ways, enough talking here comes the photo's
    Computer specs
    abit An8 ultra
    a64 3200+ venice(hoping to go X2 some time soonish)
    mushkin redline 4000, 2X512
    6600GT(zalman 700-cu cooler)
    200gb seagate hdd
    audigy 2

[​IMG]
    here's the victim. Notice the piece of plexi on back(covered in brown paper)...thats where the PSU went...right above the CPU :(.
    [​IMG]
    this was my original idea for my res. After some more thought i dont like it...to big, to normal...im not sure what im going to do now... my main idea is having a2” diameter acrylic tube that goes on the side of the box. Or a bay res..not sure...

[​IMG]
    another thing of the past are these quick connect things. I was going to put them on the back of my case for easier disconnect but with new design i dont need em.

[​IMG]
    so this is my shroud... i have 2 of them..this ones painted, but not clear coated...i had them just clear for a while, but i think with the blue, and then throw in some white LEDs inside....should look nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

none of this would be possible with out 2 excelent tools..first a 90* clamp... helps so much! Second the best glue in the world for acrylics..

[​IMG]
    not alotta room inside the box, as the radiator takes up a lot(2 for rad, 2 for EACH shroud, 1 for each fan, total of 8”) and PSU will be on floor of the case, so i decided to mount the pump on the side... not yet tho..only once a couple more sides are on...

[​IMG]
    this is a eheim 1250 pump...painted white as u might see :). im going to work out some sort of vibration dampening system, so i will mount it on this piece with dampenage then mount the piece onto the side.

[​IMG]
    with the pump its only fair to show the block...got a swiftech storm. Yay! Possible adding a GPU block later...but not until i upgrade my Vcard.

[​IMG]
    I sleeved all the fans with blue :) the PSU has blue sleeving too!

[​IMG]
    with water cooling the goal is to get crazy oc's without mcuh noise...so i made a fan controller... :) controls all 4 fans with 1 knob so they all go the same speed...i need a bigger heatsink for the regulater..maybe some 1 here can point me in the right direction, not sure how big of 1 i need...the fans only take .08 Amps... but as u slow them down they take more...

[​IMG]
    i found some great tubing here locally...nice turn radius for some local stuff!!

[​IMG]
    This paint is awesome..just thought yall should see this :) makes ur plexi blue, red, green or what ever color u want...pretty much..

[​IMG]
    this is my random scrap pile...i raided my 1 local glass company and took all their 1/4” pexi scraps, and their white stuff..and a little bit of 1/8”.
    [​IMG]
    i also have all this sleeving junk :)

[​IMG]
    this is the overall photo of how its coming together so far...u can see how its going to lay out..pump and 2nd shroud isnt there..(ps. No thats not a stock rad....painted it white..)

things to do soon:
    make grooves for air circulation inside box.
    Get more 1/4” plexi
    figure out res.
    more painting :s

till next time folks..thanks for checkin it out.
    comments
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1087871#post1087871

Last edited: 13 Dec 2005
  2. boardsportsrule

Project: Icy Hot

first project log...let me know how im doin :)

3. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Looks good, but maybe a link in here to the project so lazy people (like me) don't have to go hunting around the forums for it.

But yeah, the project looks good. I like the idea of watercooling a lot^^

- serial_

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice so far.
    FSP group PSU? Bloody good they are. I've got one waiting for my mini system soon :)

5. boardsportsrule

yea, the psu rocks :) no complaints, and its nice lookin :)
    ps. added a couple links around..

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Ohh something to ask - what specs are going in it?

7. boardsportsrule

mmm good question..
    abit An8 ultra
    a64 3200+ venice(hoping to go X2 some time soonish)
    mushkin redline 4000, 2X512
    6600GT(zalman 700-cu cooler)
    200gb seagate hdd
    audigy 2

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nice :)
    Your not the only one with X2 hopes :p

9. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Hi boardsportsrule,
    Just a small feedback - make sure the the heatsink of the voltage regulator does not make contact with any metal parts, since the body of the LM317 is connected to the output. Mentioned this as I saw the heatsink is quite tall.

ARM

10. boardsportsrule

update!! :)

OK, been awhile, alotta little things done, overall not a lot... things should be coming together fairly quickly now. The res was kind of holding me back..now i got it...this is mainly about the construction of the res's that i am using, but a couple other random things.

I got this neat for cutting any size hole into plastic, wood, and even soft metals. I started the res by cutting out some discs..they came out all nasty
    [​IMG]

put em onto the dremel and a little bit of filing action and nice :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then cut some 2” id 1/8” wall acrylic tubing, 18” long...at this point i have fought with the drill and my fingers are paying for it.
    [​IMG]

after some tapping, which was pretty hard actually, i had to clamp a piece of wood above the acrylic and clamp it to the table, and drill a hole into the wood and work bench, and tap thru that... any ways, after tapping i glued the pieces on

[​IMG]

tested it for a while, no leaks, and didnt even have to useteflon tape on the tapped part... so i made another one!, and a mounting mechanism..and drilled another hole on each... and put some smaller tubing connecting them...right now i have nothing glue'd as its all just being mocked up, expect them mounted onto case soon.
    [​IMG]

An explaination of how they will work is in order... the side of the tube that is near the back of the case will have barbs, connecting to inside the case. In the front i will have plugs, which can be removed for filling. [​IMG]

now for some random things.

I have decided not to res PSU on case floor...i have cut out a spot for it in the back, and made a support for it.
    [​IMG]

i found a big ass heatsink for my fan controller...that plus the fact there will be airflow over it i feel it will be more then sufficeint. Also connected things to plug fan into(and sleeved)...all 4 verified to work :)
    [​IMG]

also making a basic window on the side...keeping it simplefirst time making a window, so we'll see how it turns out.
    [​IMG]

this is my baby... 250+ holes..took for ever...friends made fun of me cuz i would run to their drill press at any opportunity i got... pic's arent good, VERY hard to take a picture of..but it looks NICE :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

please leave comments!! :)

11. RynoRFC

RynoRFC What's a Dremel?

Your patience in drilling out a plexi grill is amazing. No laughing here.

12. boardsportsrule

oh my god i know..it was freaking tedious.... i wish i owned adrill press, as i had to go over to a buddies house each time i wanted to do it...but in a way it was good as they kept it fun..i could run in their house, take a break and come back all refreshed :p

13. boardsportsrule

update!

whoaw, i didnt update this for a while..its partially done..the big part is over, all the water cooling is in and running as the following pics will show. i have the following things to complete.
    • make a new res- LED's and new fill port
    • get a new pump( D5)
    • make/finish window(etch? 120mm blow hole)
    • make psone LCD set up
    • mod LED's in keyboard
    • Mod desk ;)
    • wire management!!(very important!!)
    i want a smaller pump, and one that pumps some more...storm benefits alot
    from more flow... D5 should do it..

I am playing with the idea of a etched window... not sure yet...

thats the list as of now.. the Psone LCD has been working, but i want tomake an external enclosure out of a lamp stand and some plexi.

the new RES i make will be very similar, but it will have a fill port on top so i can fill all the way up, and it will ahve LED's shining out so it glows

from the following pictures you mihgt see a theme...the main computer part will be red and black(case is black...lights and mobo are red...) and then the water cooling parts are all blue/white.. i will continue this throught my computer.. the LCD setup i make will be with some red LED's and black plexi. my mouse has been painted blue, and my keyboard LED's will be swichted to match... enough of my rantings...onto the fun part!

i had to get some plexi from us plastics.. i got some 1/8" black, and 2.25" tube... the black is so hawt!!
    [​IMG]

unfortunately the tubing i bought was damaged some where...
    [​IMG]
    it looks like it was dropped or something and the shock shattered it...you can see the imprint of the tube hitting in this picture..
    [​IMG]
    there you can see the extent of the damage...******! i wouldnt be too upset, but i need all i can get...this stuff is awesome and i can use it for so many projects, i want all i payed for..

here is the computer so far
    [​IMG]
    notice the big rectanglular hole where the fan and cpu is? that's where the PSU went..horrible for airflow :(... it was relocated into the watercooling box. in place of the psu i have cut out a peice of plexi.. shortly i will cuyt a 80mm hole in it, and paint it blood red to match the other red.

to aid in teh sleek look i am going for, the drives will be stealthed :)
    [​IMG]

i have these blue cold cadathodes... i also have blue LED's(will be using on new res) and red LEDS(will be using on LCD, and some where inside the case..)
    [​IMG]
    with the lights it glows!!!
    [​IMG]

this is a nice picture..showing the 300+ holes, the shrouds and all that fun stuff...
    [​IMG]

my matching mouse..:)(and garbage can!)
    [​IMG]

i will be making a largeish window.. im debating etching into it, and layering it with red and blue, to carry the theme thru!!
    [​IMG]

so now you're all caught up... if you guys want details on anything let me know..this is kinda shotty but it catches you up..i had to get over the big hump, and it took a while..now updates will be more regular, and more detailed.

now...to show you what i will be doing next!

[​IMG]
    ill be turning this lamp into an LCD setup..
    iwill be feeding the wires thru the tube thing, and then putting a VGA port on
    the bottom.. i will be putting a switch where that rectangle is, and a power port on the bottom too... i have wired up teh LCD and gotten it working...now i just need to make this part...
    [​IMG]
    thats the LCD in question..
    [​IMG]
    order from jameco.com.... VGA port, power port, a couple other random things....fun!!

[​IMG]
    again, thats the black plexi i will be enclosing htis in..the nice thing about this setup is that i will be able to pivot the LCD to any angle, turn it on and of, and unplug it easily! :)
    until next time!!!

thanks

14. boardsportsrule

IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM back

15. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

Nice Work

Nice work, especially with the plexy. Did you have any problems drilling the plexy and what bits did you use?

16. boardsportsrule

heya, no problems with drilling, it allw ent easy. a couple cracks occured when i was drillin the res's( i am finished with project, no pictures tho, i stopped the log..:S) i didnt use any special bits, i uses my normal, metal cutting ones, i went slow as when it breaks through the other side it has a tendency to bite and crack it if you go to fast, or dont hold the plexi down enough. it's quite easy to work with! :)

17. hujambo_Bwana

Thanks

Think I'll be using HSS bits and taps, never tapped plexy before, only brass steel and aluminum. Sounds Like I'll just have to take it slow and with some coolent. Thanks for the advice.

Jimbo

18. boardsportsrule

when tapping deffinaly use some lubricant, i found it made it much easier and the threads were much nicer... i used laudry soap for lubricant so it really doest matter what you use :)

19. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Find some plexi bits they have less bite and don't crack upon exiting the plastic. For tapping plastic get some dry shaop and rub the threads with it.

20. hujambo_Bwana

@boardsportsrule

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I'll try your dry soap idea, although i've heard that water/soap mix is good lube and keeps the bit/tap cool.

@hydro_electric_655
    Can't seem to find plexi bits here in the UK, I'll keep looking because i know what you mean, they are really good with a 0deg rake, could just blunt some HSS bits though for the same effect.

Cheers Jimbo