1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair launches affordable 2GB DDR1 kits

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 28 Oct 2005.

1. ychamp

ychamp What's a Dremel?

2. otm3x

otm3x What's a Dremel?

yeah. I agree. modern gaming PC needs to have at least 1gig of ram
    now. It is just for gaming. Actually, Do u mean the smoothness is
    the overall gameplay.

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well smoothness and fps go hand in hand, so as far as I'm concerned that bit was totally nonsensical. Maybe it meant "average framerate won't go up much, but the minimum improves noticibly".

conkbot - it's PC4000, hence the crap timings and higher price than a standard 2gb kit. You can get some generic (well, Rosewill, but that's pretty generic as far as I'm concerned) 2x1gb for $194 at cas2.5 ddr400.

5. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Oh totally, my point was that I'd rather have 2GB with tighter timings than 2GB with loose timings.

6. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I could be quite tempted by 2GB :) Even some maps on Total Annihilation, which was released many years ago now, will benefit from 2GB of memory.

7. lepre

lepre Minimodder

i played 2 years with 256MB and xp...well a bit slow on alt+tab but in game no problem and high frame rate. now i have 768MB (512MB from a friend of mine who moved to 1GB to play wow)

anyway 2GB will be very important with 64bit :)

8. Holst

Holst What's a Dremel?

I just ordered a set of Gskill 2gbzx from newegg, having a friend ship them to me from the US.

Running 512mb is becoming a problem for me, especially in things like lost coast, fear and BF2. Average FPS is still high with 512 but every so often the ram gets full and the game has to use the swap file ... and you get a second of jerkyness. Very annoying as this usually happens right in the middle of an exciting bit of the game.

2gb of ram that will run an ok overclock for £125 + postage to the UK is a bargain IMO. As long as I can get 250mhz out of them to keep my CPU at 2.8gig ill be happy.

Shame that 2gb kits seem much more expensive in the UK, especially if you want to overclock them.

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Its just how wonderful the UK is ;)

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Cool and cheap. that would get me enough headroom till the introduction of DDR3 at the end of 2006 or early 2007. But do not forget the DDR2-800 chips that are comming later this year. So i guess they want to dump the pile of DDR-400/500 chips and make some last profit.

The DDR3 chips are running on lower voltage (1.5v). got deeper prefetch modes. Running from 800Mhz with steps to 1066Mhz and 1333Mhz and finaly 1600Mhz. Althought the chips have heigher latency (5-5-5 to 6-6-6) the raw clockspeed will compensate the speed.

Tags: Add Tags