1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding TFT display mod for 5,25" bay

Discussion in 'Modding' started by -x-hellfire, 21 Oct 2005.

1. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

2. Armand-[79th]

Armand-[79th] Vintage modder

/me bows before Hellfire's superior snoopage..
    ... and drools at before the hardware. :D

3. -x-hellfire

-x-hellfire What's a Dremel?

Tnx for the link :)

The guides show how to put a 6" 4:3 TFT display into 3 x 5,25" bays, which takes alot of space from a case. Altough my case has only 5,25 bay left since i got three 4 in 3 device with 120mm fan in front of each. The 1st is for 2 harddisks, the 2nd is empty with just the 120mm fan and the 3rd is for backup with 4 old harddisks that is swapped in one in a while for a backup. It´s only 3 left on the top which holds scsi cd cdr and tape drives. Basically only got 2 bays left when I buy a DVD-R burner and ditch the scsi stuff. And put a 6.5" 16:9 HD TFT and using software in windows to control fans etc. I could also ditch the 2nd & 3rd and buy a better fan and put the 1st one there for better airflow.

5,25" bays...
    1 tape
    2 cd
    3 cdr
    4 |´´´|
    5 | 43 | 2nd or 3rd
    6 |___|
    7 |´´´|
    8 | 43 | 1st
    9 |___|
    10 floppy
    11 sb live 5.1 live drive
    12 front with 6 usb etc and power on/off

43) 4 in 3 device

EDIT forgot about the floppy drive :D had the number 11 bays free stuck in my mind from some review when in fact it is 12.

PS my Gforce 4 does not work with TV-out but it works with a 2nd monitor.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2005
  4. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 24 Oct 2005
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

'cause quotes are good, mmmokay?....

[​IMG]

:D

Nice work there, venomz!

6. -x-hellfire

Nice tv :) it´s "Video system: NTSC only" though, got PAL over here in europe.
    Do you got a CM Stacker ? If you have, how did you do a custom front for it ?

Liked the modularity of this case making it "easy" to swap things around and the black mesh style of the 5,25 covers, but they are hard as **** to get of as they have to be removed from inside of the case :wallbash:

Would have liked to have the screen stealthed when not not in use behind the covers for a more minimalistic design.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2005
  7. -x-hellfire

Maybe a couple of these... T-Balancer XL
    [​IMG]
    ...would be better as they can be placed anywhere in the case, they are controlled via software in windows. They control 4 fans each and hopefully can control atleast 8 of my 10 fans.

Maybe a TFT stealthed on the desktop, which could be revealed somehow if you want it while doing some heavy computing... games... :D when you need to do some tweaking wirh the software. Still think it takes too much space from a case if placed there... saw a nicely done CM stacker case with one in the top 3 5,25" bays. ( if I can find the link i could post it, got the picture but is it alright to post it here ? )

It´s not really necessary to show data as the software can keep track of temp, rpm etc with MBM 5 but to alter some settings it might be useful.

[​IMG]

Still would have liked a control unit in a 5,25" bay which could show some info and set some of the predefined values... In the Sony style ;)

8. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

9. -x-hellfire

Youré welcome :D

The price point when it becomes feasible hardware and it´s usefulness and style goes hand in hand to meet the wildest dreams of todays modders...

PS How many of of you would take the plunge for a SLI based computer with top $$$ graphicscards... ? And then special super duper top $$$ RAM to get maybe 10% more performance from them when OC and are willing to get them toasted in the process to find out the maximum performance ? There is no easy way in terms of effort and $$$ in a modders journey to seek perfection in creating their dream computer case... time is money to u know... :thumb:

10. -x-hellfire

Here is a 5,25" device that can show some info...
    [​IMG]

iMON VFD
    "iMON VFD is the most advanced IR receiver and VFD display device in the market. It not only delivers IR signal to PC but also shows various useful information through VFD. It is designed to fit into the 5.25” disk drive bay of PC. It shows ‘Graphical EQ’, ‘System Info’, ‘Media Info’, ‘Email Check’, ‘News’, ‘World City Time & Weather’ and more. "

That´s the style I like, but it´s only LCD and no video content with video-IN etc and no own processor like the Sony got... It has no control function either. And the remote is more for the music etc. Don´t want another remote on my desktop. Got an old LCD touchscreen programmable multi-remote which is full.

BTW are there any new Multi-remotes with Touch TFTs ? Would be nice to feed it with live data from the computer showing info on it and controlling the computer with it :thumb:

Trying to keep an open mind of the possibillites... :)

11. -x-hellfire

Did a search and found this one...

Philips ProntoPro NG TSU7000 Color Touchscreen Remote Control for $469 and the Marantz RC9500 which was owned by Philips for a while...
    [​IMG]

Great TFT display but no "live input" of data could be used to display some data from the computer, temp rpm etc. So I drop that idea... :wallbash:

PS My old Touchlight LCD remote SUR-9000 also made by Rotel and Cambridge...
    [​IMG]
    ...works great but eats batteries hehe. There is a new one Ucommand U515 which is a refined version on the Rotel RR-990. It´s cheap compared to the ProntoPRO.

Gonna find out some more info about the T-Balancer XL before purchasing 2 of them maybe 3 as I got 11 fans when I recounted them... :D

12. -x-hellfire

read this at the www.mcubed-tech.com site "Fans: Can I connect more than 4 fans? Can I run my system with more than 1 T-Balancer?

Yes, you can connect more than 1 fan to one channel (in parallel). But you should in sum not exceed 15 Watt per channel. All fans on one channel are powered in the same way. Please deactivate the tacho signal in this case in the configuration assistant.

You can also install more than one T-Balancer in your system. But for monitoring and configuration activities you have to choose one TBAN after another (not in parallel)."

I don´t get it :confused: can´t I run the TBAN software when I got 2 or more T-balancer XL installed ?

not in parallell ???

Isn´t windows parallell ???

13. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

umm i dident really have any thing to get a custome fit to it. i just used plexi glass . for mounting the tv behind the panel i used stand offs . :D works perfect for what i need to do :).

14. -x-hellfire

Great :)

Post some photos when it is finished and youré running something cool on it... :D

15. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

i have a project log in the forums about how i modded that . on how i moded my project.might have to hold htis project tell winter is over well the painting part... :( stupid snow. lol heres the link..http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=99469