1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On our desk 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 4 Nov 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

:hehe:

Seriously, do a direct comparison between these and the QuietComfort 2s - you won't find anything to warrant the seven/eight-fold price increase. The Bose provide you with about £40 worth of headphone, £100 worth of noise cancelling technology, and £100 worth of marketing.

3. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

webcam pics

How about including some pictures taken with the webcam? Then we can see what kind of results it gives.

4. Edenalig

Edenalig What's a Dremel?

I know where this is going :p

5. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

no it isn't. :p
    I think the article should have in it some test piccies, that our boys have taken, to coroborate what they've said in the article about the webcam.

6. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Agreed. An infra-red camera doesn't do any good if it's too blurry to make anything out. I wouldn't mind seeing what the image results look like in light and dark settings.

7. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

I like the headphones look really good quality and only £40 too I think I may get some after ive got the rest of the stuff for my pc :D :rock:

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Agreed. If I ever went to lans, I'd definately pick up those headphones. Especially as they shouldn't require some stupid bloated control panel and aol icons all over my desktop to use them, unlike my dust-collecting audigy2.

9. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Yea, but if you had a powersupply that was sus, and didnt want to plug itinto a mobo to try it could be helpful.

10. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

"£100 worth of noise cancelling technology" equates to a $.50 microphone, and a $.75 op amp per headphone.

11. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Also a $5 micro chip that translates the noise and you have to pay the people who invented it. The techknowledgy didnt just appear out of thin air.

12. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Indeed. About all I can say for Bose is that they spend a lot of money on development...where I think they've flushed that money is another story :)

13. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I dont think you can put bose, quiet comfort, sought after, and audio purist's in the same sentence. You can usually find better quality headphones for under 50$ american, granted they wont have 'noise canceling' but you can probably find headphones for under 150 that do better than the bose (never really looked into it, I just know the quality of there cube speakers and box speakers, so why would headphones be any different?).

And i actually dont think they do much development at all, as you may know they screwed over the airline market (Or was it military pilots?), with there 'noise canceling' headphones which were actually worse than the headphones they were using before they switched to bose. I dont quite remember the story as i havnt read it in over a year and a half, but still..better marketing through deception, not development.

14. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

One thing these headphones are brilliant for is showing how loud people have to speak on aircraft to speak over the BG noise. When wearing noise cancelling headphones you can hear about 3 rows of conversations in all directions. Pretty funny initially but after 5 hours on a 8 hour flight pretty damn annoying. lol

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

On the PSU Tester, Antec do one around half the Casebuy price. Not so pretty, but each does apply a suitable load to the psu so a supplementary multimeter check is more realistic.

But as said, they only show the various power lines are doing something, not whether they're doing it to specification.

16. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

Seriously, Bose is rubbish. Why do I get the feeling that the writer has never tried a Bose product but only assumes they are the best? This is most people's impression of Bose, and it is exactly how Bose makes money.

17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Is it just me or does anyone else think that webcam is rather cute lol, its an eye on a hand lol reminds me of monsters ink :p. Think i might have too buy one looks funky.

Morgan.

18. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

Want to test a power supply for free?

take the ATX plug, and then take a twist tie. Insert the bare metal ends of the twist tie into the plug for the green and any black wire. If the power supply turns on and does not smoke/flame/explode - it's good.

19. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

That does indeed say if the supply switches on, but thats all, their may be 24v on the 12v line able to give 500mA when loaded which you wouldn't know anything about.

'doc

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'd really like to see this because I just picked up a handful of IR LEDs with the intention of adding them to my webcam, and want to know if it's worth it.

Tags: Add Tags