1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows F.e.a.r and max setting

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lmeyer718, 4 Nov 2005.

1. lmeyer718

lmeyer718 What's a Dremel?

if the system im running fear on get me a medium setting n a custom vidcard what do u need to get a max?

2. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Go in and manually set everything. My system can run medium fairly easy so yours should be good for a lot of things turned up.

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yeah, your system should be able to handle it. My friends system is a 2.8 p4, gigabyte board, 1gig dual channel (very slack timings), and a 6600gt 128mb.

All settings are maxed out except for shadows, AA and AF. Resolution is set to 1024x768, AA is at 2x, AF is 4x.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

:eyebrow:

He plays with a slide show?

2xAA 8xAF 1280x960 should be fine on your GTX.

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

No, far from it. I can provide you with a video of the entire thing if you want. Going from BIOS right into game play with fraps enabled. The game actualy looks fairly sweet on it.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hmm... I found 1024x768 low-medium settings (0x/0x) was on the edge of unplayable with a 6600gt and a notably better-performing-in-games overclocked 3000+ winchester.

Anyways, you can scale up FEAR pretty nicely with a GTX. What bigz said, or you could probably go for 1600x1200 0x/2x-4x if you prefer. The game needs AA though.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

I have played the game on a 6600 GT and I can tell you 100% that it will not be smooth throughout the entire title at those settings.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hell yea. It's barely smooth at max with a 6800GT.

9. Malvolio

Malvolio .

OK, we're just importing the video onto my laptop now, which shows everything nice and cleanly. We've also got photos of the system, and screen shots.

If you don't believe me, than we'll show you.

10. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

well its no way near smooth here with 2gb generic 3200ddr,3200@stock and a 7800gt.
    most are on medium actually. so i find it REALLY hard to believe its not defaulting to some other settings.
    unless my computer is being really fussy, but other games run fine.quake4/BF2 etc at high

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Alright, bigz, I've got the footage, multiple pictures, and I honestly don't know what more you want. So, me and thrush leave this open invitation to anybody who doesn't believe it: we will show you in person the system, all of it's stats, hardware and software in's and out's, and real game-play (with you at the controls) anytime. Period.

Video:
    http://media.putfile.com/wooties81

Pictures:
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30719511843.jpg&s=x11
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30719515596.jpg&s=x11
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30719525628.jpg&s=x11
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30719535334.jpg&s=x11
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30719543560.jpg&s=x11

And bigz, if you want/need the original video file (better quality) PM me and add me to messenger and I can get it to you. Unfortunately it is a 149MB file, so I do not have place to upload it to, but I will gladly send it to you.

Oh, as well, to correct a mistake, it doesn't have 2xAA, I got that wrong. BUT, it does play at 2xAA, just drops about 5FPS or so, but we figured that it's on a 12foot screen, so it doesn't really matter, the projector provides a minor bit of AA.

12. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I honestly think that your videocard is messing up if the game settings are on maximum other than whats turned off in that video. Just look Doom 3, the maximum quality settings needs atleast a 256meg (If not 512meg's) of onboard video ram. I do have one question though, why arnt you posting screenshots of the game? Not with a shoddy camera.

I run a XFX 6600GT, Athlon 64 3000+, 1gig of Corsair XMS Ram, and i can run medium settings on the graphics, high on the processor and get around 25-45FPS by turning off shadows. I've tried to set it to maximum, not only does the game game crawl to a below 1fps, but it usually completly locks up.

Oh, and what kind of projector are you using? Thats pretty neat.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

nah, that area of the game isn't one of the most intense parts and you're already sitting in the 20's without using SloMo.

I appreciate that it is playable through some parts of the game, but not all. Let me find the frame rate graph for 6600 GT from the section I use for testing....

edit:

[​IMG]

That is between the 2nd and 3rd (or 3rd and 4th) checkpoint on the heavy resistance level - one of the most intense parts of the game that I've found.

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Alight, we'll do the exact same test. And yes, the settings ARE playable throughout the entire game, infact we just finished it today about an hour before the original post in this thread (the one by me). We did get the same average frame-rate through-out the entire game as you seen deminstrated. You want slomo shots? You want me to profile the exact area you play through? Alright, I'll get those up tomorrow on the exact same system, exact same settings.

I'll have screen-shots up later today once thrush gets home (he's out at a party or something right now noobing it up with some lame people).

If you are not going to believe us, than we'll prove it. I'm not a lier, nor do I intend to be.

And by the way, it's a low-end Optima projector, only worth about $1000. You couldn't really see it in the picture, but he's also got 2x 5' speakers with indivdual on-speaker amps with a total system power of about 6000 watts. He's put about $25000 into his home system, so it's not all that bad I guess.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm not calling you a liar, but based on my own experiences I don't consider it to be playable when you're often dropping in to the 20's a lot of the time without SloMo turned on. People have different understandings of playable, but if you're happy with your 20fps, then I'm happy for you. I just don't consider that to be smooth.

Having said that, I look at worst-case, not best case. So, you might often find that you can increase your settings above what I've suggested at the expense of a little bit of lag in the more intense parts of the game.

You don't have to prove anything - if you are happy with your settings and a bit of lag, then fair play to you. Being a reasonably serious CS player for the best part of four years made me understand what smoothness is really all about. I didn't like dropping below 100fps, nevermind 30fps when I was playing CS competitively. Looks didn't matter, it was all about frame rate and smoothness.

I try and make a compromise between the two in our video card reviews - maintain smoothness while still looking pretty good at the same time.

16. DivineSin

Its not that we think your lieing, its just a fact that it -cant- be true. THere is no way in hell that your card is powerfull enough to run that game in maximum detail with a playable framerate. Thats like saying you got a magical car that gets 120miles to the gallon, it just doesnt happen. I dont really understand how your card could get even 20fps in a low-action area with Maximum Detail. I dont think its a matter of him seeing a low framerate as smooth, i think something is wrong with the options or the card. The same thing happened to me actually, but with Quake 4, i turned on EVERYTHING, highest quality everything to see what would happen and i was running in the upper 60 fps, so obviously something was wrong (not to mention the game looked like crap).

Maybe your card is running in DirectX8.0 for some reason and most of the options are automaticly disabled even though you have them enabled in the options?

17. lmeyer718

actually with my system i run everything on max at a rez of 1600x1200 n it runs well. there are some slow down. in the test i get as high as 100fps

18. DivineSin

lol, you also have a 7800gtx and a Athlon 64 4400+.... :rolleyes:

19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

You don't need 40fps all the time to make it extremely smooth. The game normaly sits at about 30-75fps, as you can see in the video, but durring some more action intense sceens it does drop down to about 15, but no lower. Yes, this is very low, and is about half of what would be acceptable, but most of the time it's not for very long periods of time, and to be honest, it doesn't look too bad.

As you say, it's playable, but it's far from a slide-show.

And by the way, dx8 shaders and options are able to be enabled in the menu, but as you can see in the video they are not. And as far as I can see, everything that should be enabled at the current setting are enabled. So if it was a case if it only showing it was enabled, but not actualy being on, than I'm sure it would manifest itself in the game - but it's not.

20. lmeyer718

ok on the test i get 28 min, 50 avg, 99 max fps
    at 1290x960 with everything on aa 2x anisotropic 8x

wht i wanna know what do u need that on auto detect they say u have max cpu n max vid card.

i also have my 4400 at 2530 230x11

what do u need a fx57 at 3ghz with 2 7800 gtx sli oc'ed, and 4 gb ram???

Tags: