1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News FireFox share continues to rise

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 4 Nov 2005.

1. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

I guess I'm in that 4.95% :rock:

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I use firefox mainly because of the tabbed browsing and the fact I don't get popups (or very few at least). I get the habit of clicking my mouse wheel for a new tab in IE!

The other reason being that firefox is more stable, if Firefox crashes, not all the windows crash (unlike IE), and if Firefox crashes, my download doesn't fook up because of it, again, unlike IE!

But IE7 is supposed to have tabbed browsing and extensions, hmm

3. tylerpestell

tylerpestell What's a Dremel?

Firefox

Firefox all the way! I converted a few months ago and haven't turned back. 2 of my favorite features being tabs and mouse gestures. The only thing that sucks is when I go to work and they have IE and I find myself trying to use gestures that just ends with a context menu.

A long long time ago ... I used Opera... I can't remember why I stopped but I did .

That's my 2 cents

4. Gipo

Gipo What's a Dremel?

Opera is also a good alternative in my opinion, faster than firefox alot of the time :)

5. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Hmm I got a serial key when opera did their free birthday key thing - but I lost it and the "email my key" doesnt seem to work..

Any ideas?

6. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Yes, for some strange reason, after Mozilla made tabs and extensions popular Bill is implementing those same features into the next IE. . . I love his originality! :rolleyes:

But really, even when IE7 is released, and I'm going to speculate it will be Vista only since it is being released at the same time, it will still be the same old MS bug laden, Internet Exploder with ActiveX. . . And it will include support for MS's own special messed up flavor of HTML.

L J

7. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

Also, if you google image searched for IE7 you could easily have thought you typo'ed "FIREFOX" instead of "IE7" ;o

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's a good thing? TBH if people are writing websites in frontpage, I sure as heck don't want to be browsing them. I learned in Notepad and have been with it ever since, the one time I tried frontpage just to see what it was like, it was harder than notepad to actually do what I wanted (nested tables, iirc, which is hardly advanced code). It's like when people use animated gifs just for the sake of it, or web counters, it just screams "n00b"!

And we expected Bill to use originality? Hasn't almost every piece of microsoft software been a "pay more and have it say Microsoft in the name so you feel like it's a unified software package, if you can ever get the damn thing activated" of some other piece of software?

9. Colonel Sanders

Hey now, MS frontpage has one huge advantage- you will never have to worry about anyone stealing the source code to your web-site! I'm not sure why that would matter to anyone though. . . But whenver I look at the source code to a website created with MS Frontpage I promptly say "what a mess!" and leave for fear of picking up bad coding practices. . .

If you actually undertand HTML or whatever language your using to make your website, then in my opinion Notepad is often easier than frontpage. Plus the code is far cleaner.

Anyone remember that add claiming frontpage had cleaner code, but the add itself had an obvious error? Gotta love Bill for that kinda stuff.

I have not yet come across a page firefox can not perfectly display, except for one of Microsoft's pages (hmm???). In fact, I remeber a while back, going to an M$ webpage (cant remember which one), and it begged me to install and ActiveX controller for Firefox, made by Microsoft.

L J

10. Wossack

Wossack What's a Dremel?

I had a stint of avoiding Firefox for about 3 months, as everytime it updated (automagically) it wiped all my bookmarks. Not once, but twice :( Pissed me off, so I'm a very cautious FF user atm, gone through one update without a loss, so looks ok for the time being :)

11. Red Valdez

Red Valdez What's a Dremel?

Exactly what I was thinking. On a computer gaming forum I regularly visit, there was a small poll recently about preferred browsers. The results (out of 57 people) were 8% IE, 22% Opera, 61% Firefox, and 7% other.

There's no denying Firefox's popularity, but I think Opera is more popular than what the statistics make it out to be.

Happy Opera user here btw :)

12. ScwB

ScwB What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry to tell you this, but FF is not a very secure browser either. There have been *many* more security holes found in FF than IE for the past while. I actually use FF, mostly for the tabs and skins (IE has pop-up blocking too btw), although it's definitely slower than IE, has some rendering issues (even with good html), and some annoying bugs (like all the download manager ones). Hopefully most of that will be fixed with the 1.5 release.

13. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

Another Firefox user here. Once I discovered tabbed browsing never turned back. Just annoys that I have to use IE at my school. I hate having eight windows open of IE.

14. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

No browser is 100% secure, but FF is definatly more secure than IE, no activeX controls means it's harder for malware to be installed on your computer! As for speed, I think FF is still faster, but this forum today seems really slow loading, in both IE and FF!

If you have a USB pen drive, you could install firefox on it, that's what I did at my old school.

15. Stigggeh

Stigggeh What's a Dremel?

i use firefox, mainly for tabbed browsing,

IE does seem to have more security holes in IE, but i wonder if thats just because of the amount of people that hate M$ looking for them?

16. riggs

riggs ^_^

Possibly. I suppose everything has security holes, it's all down to how easily they can be found. Obviously, the more popular Firefox becomes, the greater amount of 'back doors' will be found.

(it's like the old 'OS is better than Windows' argument. True, OS doesn't seem to have any major security flaws, but then, how many people are actually looking for them? (ie, if you were a terrorist (hacker/cracker), and wanted to plant a bomb (virus), where would you plant it to cause the most damage? London (Windows), or Grimsby (OS)?))

17. quack

quack Minimodder

Opera 9 will identify itself as Opera not IE by default. I'm surprised it's taken this long for the developers to change this.

I can see Opera's apparent market share increasing rapidly once 9 goes gold. Unfortunately due to IE being the previous default, the majority of the increase will probably just be from people upgrading from 8 not brand new users. I willing to bet that almost all of the tech media will jump on this "huge" increase as a testament to the rising popularity of Opera and how everyone is changing to it, when most of the users have been identifying as IE up till now. They'll probably also start sounding the death knell for Firefox... unless of course they do realise that current market share figures aren't entirely accurate whatsoever and have been skewed in IE's favour for years.

<pedant> It's Firefox not FireFox by the way, or Fx for short, not FF. </pedant>

PS: As much as I might appear to be a "Firefox Zealot", I have nothing against Opera, in fact I think that version 9 is very impressive. It's very very fast, and doesn't hog too much RAM (which Firefox can do, but I have a gig, so I don't care how much it uses quite frankly [60MB as I write this postscript]), but I prefer Firefox due to the vast selection of extensions out there - of which I currently use 17). Opera just isn't as customisable as I'd like it to be. Anyway... the less Internet Explorer users the better. Whatever alternative browser they choose is up to them. :thumb:

Last edited: 6 Nov 2005
  18. KriTip

KriTip What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 6 Nov 2005
  19. Colonel Sanders

I cant see that as a death to Firefox- IEs shares will drop .1%, and opera will go up .1%. :naughty: Firefox's share should stay the same.

I was looking through some of the 39bugs in the release candidate, and they are indeed bugs- but I did not see anything that looked like a real security threat. Some fo the "bugs" were stuff like "the installers sets <blah> by default". OK, that is a serious bug?? IE 6 installs Outhouse Express and to my knowledge, without hacking the system there is no easy way to remove OE- but that isn't counted as a bug or security threat. . .

L J

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The difference is that Firefox developers are actively searching out security holes and patch them immediately. Bill waits for them to be explioted and for complaints to start rolling in. Meaning more are reported, but far fewer actually present issues.

I've had the occasional thing where it seems to be chewing through ram like it's a cookie, but never any real issues. And in any case, it'll be different on every system (which is why OSX is so much seemingly less buggy - Apple controls exactly what hardware goes into the computers it'll be installed on)

This is why I prefer open-source software always. The developers do it because they enjoy it, not because they're paid to do it. Which results in a better product. Whenever I code, I do it in a perfectionistic way because I'm going for the best I can get, which wouldn't happen if it's "Have it on our desk by Tuesday and we'll send you your paycheck."

Tags: Add Tags