1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simply Bawls... *Update 11/6/05**Paint N' Things!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sHuLtZy, 8 Jun 2005.

1. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy What's a Dremel?

don't worry about that rexxie, i ordered some cathodes to light up the letters, a uv and a blue one, hopefully on different switches

2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

dude drop by the electronic forum and get some help on it.

myself i'd hook em all up to a low end microcontroller... indevidual control of everything, PWM to do brightness.

3. JBowles

JBowles What's a Dremel?

OMG get too work on this you lazy basterd

4. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy What's a Dremel?

I have

Hahah, well, I have been busy with school, however I do need to upload some new pics of the paintjob.

5. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

Your project is coming along nicely and I do need to say: The effect you created with the light and all just looks simply amazing!

Get back to work and show us a update because I just can't wait!

6. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Man, that looks awesome. When I first saw the pics of those plastic washers, I thought they were gonna be too "dark" to let good light through, but it seems I was mistaken. Very nice! And on the paint, #1 looks better IMO. As for incorporating the bottle, maybe try and cut on in half longways and mount it to the front of the case? Especially if you're gonna use a door...

7. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

I see an issue with cutting it in half because the bottle is glass but great job so far can't wait to see it done.

8. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

hmmm yes we need progress here lol. I still have 8 bottles sitting in my fridge for a special ocassion... ie. wednesday im getting a T1 so ill be wired in more ways than one in celebration... then inebreation(sp?)... :D

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

That just requires l337 dremel skills. :D

10. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy What's a Dremel?

ALAS! I have finally done somthing! Got some pics to prove it, unfortunately I am very tired and must sleep, will update tomarrow...

11. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy What's a Dremel?

Paint n' Things

Well, after a very long break... I have picked up work on my bawls case again. Actually I have been working a lil bit here and there, but never took a whole bunch of pictures. Anyways, onto the painting.

I went with the #1 strait dark blue paint as I thought I could get a better finish with it. Now, I am somewhat new to painting, at least nice painting and I used this handy guide to get started

I wanted a very nice mirror finish when I was done, and got as close as I could hope for. Check out the results!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the money shot:
    [​IMG]

The paint looks great sideview, but you can still see minor surface scratches head on. But, for the first time, I'm pretty happy.

Now, my attention is turned to the main side panel.
    Sorry I don't have very many pics of the process, I kinda got caught up in working and just forgot to take pics along the way.

Here is the side panel after I have laidout and cut the holes, then sanded them down. It also has all the holes drilled, and 1st coat of primer on it:

[​IMG]

The Back, had to cut away much of the plastic here to allow the plexi windows to fit:
    [​IMG]

I went with the same UV Plexi that I used for the Bawls Logo window:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And dry fitted on the case:
    [​IMG]

Now that the panel is ready for painting, I'll turn my attention to the front.

One of the most obvious things about the front is that all the drive bays are open. When I salvaged this case there were no bay covers, so I have to make my own.

The first big problem is that, well... I am limited in my tools, and these covers need to be fairly precise, so, I set my self up a jig!

The first ever... Dremel Table Saw! :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, for these covers I found another color plexi that I think will work really well, here it is:
    [​IMG]

Once I got the 3 of em cut I still had to make them all the same length... time for another jig.
    I had a drum sanding kit so I popped it into my drill press and clamped the 3 pieces together with a guide on the bottom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near perfect :D

Now that I had my covers, I had to come up with somthing to hold them in the empty drive bays. See, the cd-drive sticks out way farther from the regular spot, so I had to make some plexi fillers.
    Back to my Dremel Saw!

[​IMG]

Just cut strips and bent them accordingly. The results were quite nice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

May still take some twinking to get it just right, but I am happy.

Thats all for now, hopefully I will be getting a lot more work done, and soon!
    Also, I'll get some power hooked up to my lights on the side panel and take some pics!

Happy Dremeling :dremel:

12. chuckmo

chuckmo What's a Dremel?

bout freakin time son! looks great tho. i wanna see it in action!

13. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

i love that dremel saw! great idea!

14. Hellboy787

Hellboy787 What's a Dremel?

Great Mod, it's a really nice etching work.

15. JBowles

JBowles What's a Dremel?

+1

It better be readdy for some thanksgiving LAN action

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Nice paint on the side panel. Try using a car polish to rub out any fine scratches that may be there.

Nice work on turning a dremel into a table saw:thumb:

17. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Modding the modding tools, brilliance!

Love the look of this mod. Shame we cant get Bawls in the UK.