1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development good Windows IDE?

Discussion in 'Software' started by glaeken, 4 Nov 2005.

1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I have used many, many C IDE's, well free IDE's that is. Lets see, I have used bloodshed, pelles, zeus, BVRD, chrome. I'm not particularly happy with any of them. Bloodshed was alright, but the editor was crap. Anyone know of a particularly good free IDE?

2. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Eclipse Is an IDE written in java and is quite good.

3. glaeken

yes, it is quite good, I used it when I was taking Java. The version we used only for java, I didnt even know they had c IDE's. Although it was kinda bulky, not written very well, at least the version Purdue has us use. but i'll try it anyway.

4. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

You need to add an extension to deal with C.

Personally I just work with gvim,gcc and make.

5. glaeken

yeah, when i'm workin in the UNIX labs, i'll use xemacs, gcc, and make, but when i'm at home i want an all in one.

6. glaeken

alright i've been messin w/ eclipse, is there any way to create multiple binaries within one project? And is there an option to run f/m the command line? If not i might just go back to using xemacs, cygwin, and make.

7. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

I know this might not be what your looking for, but its a possible option for a while I guess. Microsoft is releasing its Visual C++ 2005 Express IDE for free for one year (till Nov 6 2006).
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/
    The boxed product is $45 US though, so if you like it, it wouldn't be too hard of a hit on your cash flow. I will say though, I'm not a big fan of windows, but at least previously, the Visual Studio product line hasn't been bad.

8. glaeken

hmmm ive never tried visual C++, i know it's what all the xp machines have on campus. Maybe i'll have to pick it up from Purdue for 10 bucks.